Before You Sail Guide

TER777

If you choose to arrange for air travel independently, you may purchase embarkation and disembarkation airport transfers from Crystal up to seven (7) days prior to the cruise. Email: TRANSFERS@CRYSTALCRUISES.COM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if banks even issue Traveler's Checks anymore.  I'll check into it, but I seem to remember reading years ago that they weren't even available.  Plus, businesses won't cash them.  I'll report back on what I find!

~Nancy

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ctjon said:

Yes, maybe I'm a bit hung up on dress codes - the casual (non-formal) seems a bit more dressed up than before with requirement for jackets for men.  Also seems strange on formal nights that even though it is suits or tux - ties are optional.

I'm reluctant to wade into the whole "dress code" thing, and (full disclosure) I did not even bother reading the recent long thread about it, as I kinda feel like everything that could ever be said on Cruise Critic about dress codes has already been said, and boy people sure do get passionate about that topic! 😉 But I did want to point out that the "ties optional" thing on formal nights may be related to the fact that modern trends in suits and tuxedos do not always include a tie. So I suspect that the guidance around that had to move with the times. In fact here's a great shot of a fabulous tuxedo sans tie:

image.thumb.jpeg.69456cd3f7d9d24f3d03044d5a43d340.jpeg

34 minutes ago, oakridger said:

I wonder if banks even issue Traveler's Checks anymore.  I'll check into it, but I seem to remember reading years ago that they weren't even available.  Plus, businesses won't cash them.  I'll report back on what I find!

Travelers checks are still generally available, but exceedingly rare these days and probably more trouble than they're worth. Given the easy access to ATMs all over the world, and the fact that most retailers accept credit cards, it really doesn't make much sense to use them. Most shops probably wouldn't even know what they are, and you'd likely have a difficult time finding someone to cash one. 

We've been traveling to some very remote villages in Mexico lately, and even the tiny neighborhood tiendas accept credit cards. 🙂 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Leejnd4 said:

Travelers checks are still generally available, but exceedingly rare these days and probably more trouble than they're worth. Given the easy access to ATMs all over the world, and the fact that most retailers accept credit cards, it really doesn't make much sense to use them. Most shops probably wouldn't even know what they are, and you'd likely have a difficult time finding someone to cash one. 

We've been traveling to some very remote villages in Mexico lately, and even the tiny neighborhood tiendas accept credit cards. 🙂 

Thanks. That's what I was remembering as well.  I searched around and they still can be purchased through American Express and a few other banks but incur fees and the necessity of recording and keeping track of the check serial numbers, etc.  I have been using credit cards, and cash occasionally, in all my post 1980 travels.  Cash is rapidly losing favor in many places now.  My next overseas trip is to the Netherlands and Norway, and I've been told to not bother with cash at all.  At a couple of my hotels in Norway they let guests know that cash isn't even accepted or available!!

~Nancy

• Like 2

10 hours ago, oakridger said:

Thanks. That's what I was remembering as well.  I searched around and they still can be purchased through American Express and a few other banks but incur fees and the necessity of recording and keeping track of the check serial numbers, etc.  I have been using credit cards, and cash occasionally, in all my post 1980 travels.  Cash is rapidly losing favor in many places now.  My next overseas trip is to the Netherlands and Norway, and I've been told to not bother with cash at all.  At a couple of my hotels in Norway they let guests know that cash isn't even accepted or available!!

~Nancy

It's always good to have some small bills for tips though. We will often use the ATM at the airport when we first arrive somewhere, and then buy something small (e.g. bottle of water) and ask for small bills in change. That way we have tips for cabs, porters, etc. 

We prefer only to use ATMs at actual banks (safer) but we'll use the one at the airport just for a small amount. ATMs at airports often have high fees, but we have the benefit of having a debit card from our investment bank that reimburses all ATM fees. That's a good tip, in fact: it's a good idea to have a debit card that reimburses ATM fees. Some credit unions and investment banks (e.g. Fidelity, Schwab) offer debit cards that do this.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bayonejoe said:

I wonder if NC will have gratuity cards available at the end of each cruise, as OC did.

For the most part this will help help with tipping without an exchange of cash.

I haven't asked but I do expect this will be the same so that people who want to give a gratuity have the option to charge it to their shipboard account or give cash or do both as we do.  

They don't talk about the cards but this is what they say under gratuities but even in the past I don't believe they mentioned a form you could fill out.

Keith

GRATUITIES

With Crystal’s all-inclusive experience, pre-paid gratuities for housekeeping (butler, suite attendant and trainee suite attendant), bar and dining staff (including in-suite dining and specialty restaurants) are included in your cruise fare. If you would like to present gratuities for other service personnel, you may do so at your discretion. Or, if you have any questions regarding gratuities, please contact the Reception Desk.

We suggest an 18% gratuity for Aurōra services, which will be automatically added to your bill and charged to your shipboard account for your convenience.

11 hours ago, oakridger said:

~Nancy

I can vouch for this. We recently did 11 nights on Seabourn Ovation in Iceland, Scotland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark and used credit cards everywhere without question. We took a few English Pounds that we had on hand, used for a tip to the tour guide. Since we had nothing planned for Oslo we took some Norwegian Kroner, and the only time I used it, the person at the cash had to cancel and re-enter the transaction as she assumed it would be a credit card. Finally, in Sweden our guide told us if we had cash, to put it away as no one would accept it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was the White Party a regular event on OC? My first Crystal cruise will be an 11 nighter, so according to the new guide, there will be a White Party. I'm happy to go shopping to find something appropriate, but any thoughts or insight would be appreciated!

4 minutes ago, tnm6217 said:

Was the White Party a regular event on OC? My first Crystal cruise will be an 11 nighter, so according to the new guide, there will be a White Party. I'm happy to go shopping to find something appropriate, but any thoughts or insight would be appreciated!

Yes, there was a White Party in the Cove for a few years before the pandemic shutdown.  Of course, we don't know yet what the new White Parties will be like.....but soon!! 

~Nancy

11 hours ago, tnm6217 said:

No worries, if you don't show up in all white, no one will forbid you entering!

12 hours ago, tnm6217 said:

My understanding is that the White Night Extravaganza will be similar to what it was although I am unsure of location. We will have one on the Inaugural cruise as there will be one on each cruise so we can share more information. 

People are encouraged to wear something white and many do but not a requirement.  It's a mixer with music and the Ambassador Hosts there so you can listen to music and some dance. There were a few drinks with a white theme although one could order other items and some snacks.

Keith 

On 7/23/2023 at 11:17 AM, Keith1010 said:

I haven't asked but I do expect this will be the same so that people who want to give a gratuity have the option to charge it to their shipboard account or give cash or do both as we do.  

They don't talk about the cards but this is what they say under gratuities but even in the past I don't believe they mentioned a form you could fill out.

Keith

GRATUITIES

With Crystal’s all-inclusive experience, pre-paid gratuities for housekeeping (butler, suite attendant and trainee suite attendant), bar and dining staff (including in-suite dining and specialty restaurants) are included in your cruise fare. If you would like to present gratuities for other service personnel, you may do so at your discretion. Or, if you have any questions regarding gratuities, please contact the Reception Desk.

We suggest an 18% gratuity for Aurōra services, which will be automatically added to your bill and charged to your shipboard account for your convenience.

I wonder if there will still be a Crew Welfare Fund.

Roy

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I wonder if there will still be a Crew Welfare Fund.

I just wonder if there will be the "optional" charity donation that there was on Silversea.  Where it went to Manfredi's wife's personal charity.  And how it automatically went on your bill and you had to pro-actively take it off.  Maruzza Lefebvre D'Ovidio Foundation.

19 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

I just wonder if there will be the "optional" charity donation that there was on Silversea.  Where it went to Manfredi's wife's personal charity.  And how it automatically went on your bill and you had to pro-actively take it off.  Maruzza Lefebvre D'Ovidio Foundation.

I'll put money on "no" to that one.

• Like 3

I hope the 'charity donation' added to your account will not happen; it was one of the things which put me off Silversea years ago.  Where the money went was very vaguely described, and many people disapproved of it.