does it matter what time we do online check in at 21 days for boarding time?

elaine5

Our first Cunard cruise. On other cruise lines, we can choose our boarding time, and earlier times tend to go faster--so it matters when one does online check in. As Cunard assigns times, does it matter when we check in online at 21 days for boarding time? Will checking in right at 21 days get us an earlier time? Also, what time does online check in start? thank you, Elaine

Hi that’s exciting. It’s my understanding that check in times are allocated by cabin grade and deck number. Therefore it doesn’t matter when you do your online check is as the time has been pre-allocated and is non negotiable. Not sure about non Southampton check in times but here it’s 12.00 but you may not always get onboard then as sometimes boarding is delayed to say 12:30 or 13:00 if the ship is not ready. 

Edited by Winifred 22

Yes - the online check-in process is all about the formalities such as uploading photographs & registering credit cards.  “Arrival” times, as Cunard calls them, have already been assigned. There’s been some discussion on another thread about how this is working. As a rule, guests in the Grills board first, then diamond followed by platinum World Club status (the latter 2 just at Southampton & Brooklyn I think).  Many guests also have either diamond or platinum status now, so whether there is genuinely much benefit is dependent on the specific voyage: a lot of diamond & platinum members means more people in the “priority” queue for the physical check-in & then the security screening.

The time you get will therefore be decided on certain factors but regulars on this board have found the factors to be somewhat randomly applied, I think. 

I am wondering whether the priority boarding for world club members is for the time you are given, so you don’t queue. BUT it doesn’t give you a priority/early time. We are diamond and have 3:45 boarding- been assured we can skip the queue (what queue at 3:45!) 

1 hour ago, Slc334 said:

I am wondering whether the priority boarding for world club members is for the time you are given, so you don’t queue. BUT it doesn’t give you a priority/early time. We are diamond and have 3:45 boarding- been assured we can skip the queue (what queue at 3:45!) 

WOW.....we are Diamond and Priority Boarding was given to us for 1245PM....Interesting...Would ? That.

I have questioned it and there is nothing they can do. Like I said I think the priority is for the time given, so you arrive at that time and go to the front of the queue, not giving you an early time. 
This is the first time we have had such a late boarding. 
Hasten to add we will be arriving a little early!!! 

• Like 1

Let me present an alternative perspective: yes, perhaps ideally one would want to get on sooner so as to get one more lunch or just get settled a bit earlier but ultimately there is plenty of food available on Cunard vessels and another meal is only going to be a few hours away. I'm not that fond of the 12 midday to 1pm crush, it's a lot quieter the later you leave it, you can invariably get from check-in desk to cabin in 10 minutes. I'm going to be on board for quite a few hours, weeks even, so arriving a couple of hours later for embarkation isn't so bad. You can more easily stretch your time on board by being the last to disembark.

• Like 2

Hi, 

I am Diamond level and boarding the Queen Elizabeth in Vancouver 21 days from now. I checked in today (the first day for check-in) and have a 2:00 pm boarding time. I have booked a standard balcony stateroom on Deck 4. This check-in time is fine, but I am surprised that it is not earlier. The final boarding time is listed on my boarding pass as 3:15 pm. Because I am staying at the Pan Pacific Hotel which is located in the cruise terminal, the ship will only be a few steps away. I will probably spend a little more time exploring Vancouver prior to boarding the ship.

Chuck

• Like 2

V323-August 2023

Deck 4

Platinum

Assigned 2:45 

and parents Deck 4 

Gold 

Assigned 3:30

Ours is latest boarding time ever had

Not sure whether to chance going earlier or turn up at the correct time and hope to sail right through.

Leaner towards the latter as my mum has osteoporosis so cant stand for long periods so don't want the risk of her being made to stand outside (appreciate she could go inside no doubt and sit and wait with the assisted passengers btu sotn want them sat in there for 2 hours)

just been used to rocking up at noonish and being able to get on form then or last couple of times from 1pm/130pm

I would say by 2pm there will be very few passengers boarding, so I doubt you would be hanging around much. I was deck 4, 2:30 pm, arrived just before 2pm, and I felt I was the only passenger. I got from the entry of Mayflower to my stateroom in under 10 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The dining options for non Grill passengers  would be Lido and Golden Lion. Golden Lion finishes as 2:30 pm, the Lido and Pizzeria goes until 4 pm, the emergency drill time. There's also the Lido Bar area, I don't think they are serving any food there but you can bring food from the Lido next door and take a drink al fresco.  Then 5:45 is the first serving in Britannia plus Open, with the Lido open at 6pm.

• Like 1