Should you pay more for a cruise without photographers?

sverigecruiser

Disembarked MSC World Europa yesterday. Lovely ship but VERY annoying when the photographers blocked many of the stairs on deck 6-8. 

I understand that the cruiselines earn lots of many on photos but I should be prepared to pay more for the cruise to avoid that.   

13 minutes ago, lcpagejr said:

How many times have you cruised before?? This has been a common occurence on most lines since I began cruising in 90's. I don't see it changing

We are not very experienced, it was only our 10th cruise. It was much worse than it has been before.

3 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

We are not very experienced, it was only our 10th cruise. It was much worse than it has been before.

Yes... in earleir years it seemed Formal nights they would take over the staircases, etc but always would have photograpers in corners, with their setups on other nights  near Atrium area. Now they are all over the place... I agree it can be frustrating especially when you have Late seating and the masses from both dinners are out in force

I was on VV 2 months ago, not a single photographer anywhere.  Not that every area of ship should be packed, but thought it strange to have NONE.  I don't like when they clog stairs, but on some ships, especially MSC, I totally understand why bc its a great scene 

On 7/22/2023 at 9:18 AM, sverigecruiser said:

Not very easy when they have blocked the passage.

Sailing out of the US or Europe? Sounds like a fire hazard honestly. On our Virtuosa cruise they did not block the stairs, but there are definitely things that raised your eyebrows about safety, making you wonder if they'd be allowed when sailing from the US. Blocking the stairs would probably fall in that category.

Yup, obstructing emergency exits is a no no. https://amazingarchitecture.com/articles/7-features-of-an-emergency-fire-exit-staircase

Edited by mom22frogs

6 hours ago, mom22frogs said:

Sailing out of the US or Europe? Sounds like a fire hazard honestly. On our Virtuosa cruise they did not block the stairs, but there are definitely things that raised your eyebrows about safety, making you wonder if they'd be allowed when sailing from the US. Blocking the stairs would probably fall in that category.

Yup, obstructing emergency exits is a no no. https://amazingarchitecture.com/articles/7-features-of-an-emergency-fire-exit-staircase

I guess it depends on how they block them. They used the kind of ropes they often have on airports.

6 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I guess it depends on how they block them. They used the kind of ropes they often have on airports.

Both sides or one? Google says the EU has similar laws to the US about obstructing emergency exits.

6 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

The problem was that you couldn't use the stairs and that made it difficult to get to another deck.

Did you take a picture and try to report it anywhere?

To me it sounds like a training issue but then you put that in the context of their other recent safety inspection fines. 

1 hour ago, mom22frogs said:

Both sides or one? Google says the EU has similar laws to the US about obstructing emergency exits.

Are you thinking about the stairs close to the elevators?

The stairs I mean are the stairs going between the decks everywhere on the  "promenade area" on deck 6-8. (Sorry I wasn't clear about that.)

It was possible to use the staircase but if being in the middle of the promenade and wanting to go to another deck the walk was very long.

Thoose stairs are probably not considered to be emergency exits.

12 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

The problem was that you couldn't use the stairs and that made it difficult to get to another deck.

I walk right through, they can always take another picture but for me, it has been 20 minutes since I ate and I have to get to the buffet, MAKE WAY!!

• Haha 1

I've never found it to be that big of deal to say, "No thank you" and move on. There's a lot of people that don't get to cruise often that enjoy getting a nice photo taken - if that's you, enjoy it. If you don't need photos - smile, politely decline, and enjoy the rest of your evening. 

1 hour ago, Brighton Line said:

I walk right through, they can always take another picture but for me, it has been 20 minutes since I ate and I have to get to the buffet, MAKE WAY!!

So you move the ropes that shipstaff has put up? Is that really allowed even if the photographers has put them up?

7 minutes ago, optimusprime82 said:

I've never found it to be that big of deal to say, "No thank you" and move on. There's a lot of people that don't get to cruise often that enjoy getting a nice photo taken - if that's you, enjoy it. If you don't need photos - smile, politely decline, and enjoy the rest of your evening. 

But you can't really move on if the way is blocked.

17 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

But you can't really move on if the way is blocked.

Next time you should probably take a picture of the obstruction because this sounds like an exaggeration to me. From my experience on MSC, they'll have a decent number of photographers and backdrops but they don't hinder guests from getting around the ship.