Our First Time To CoCo Cay - Questions

Our first RC cruise and first timers to CoCo Cays. 

We are a family of 7 - grandparents, parents and two boys, age 11 and 8.

If we don't take any excursions and just want to walk off the ship and spend time at the beach, is that "doable"?

Are beach towels provided by RC?

Are their restricted and non-restricted beach areas? 

Food is available?

This is a case of "I don't know what I don't know".... what do I need to know? Any tips?

WG

4 minutes ago, WoodstockGirl said:

If we don't take any excursions and just want to walk off the ship and spend time at the beach, is that "doable"?

Food is available?

Yes to all.

Coco Beach Club is currently the only restricted beach area.  Some areas in front of cabanas may be restricted to cabana customers.  Thrill Water Park is also a pay area.  Hideaway Beach will be an adults only area.

Edited by Another_Critic

8 minutes ago, WoodstockGirl said:

Food is available?

This is a case of "I don't know what I don't know".... what do I need to know? Any tips?

WG

They were on oasis near the exit with a towel stand where you check out beach towels. They must be returned or your card is charged. 

The area is huge. I would recommend you find the little train like shuttle to take you around. Get off when you see a area you like. I was by a nice beach area with lounge chairs and picnic tables and it had fast food like the funnel cakes warm that I love. Also chicken sandwiches and some other stuff. The free drinks like lemonade and punch. A area for mixed drinks if want to use your drink vouchers. I've read there is a free buffet but didnt find it. There are 2 pay areas, but lots of free area too. I walked off but took the train back. Hot and far to walk for me.

Edited by firefly333

19 minutes ago, WoodstockGirl said:

Food is available?

Any tips?

Food is available and I'm a huge fan! Two main places to eat at no extra charge...

Snack Shack (3 locations)... Crispy chicken sandwiches, mozzarella sticks, funnel cake.

*Sandwich hack - get a plain chicken sandwich and top it with the mozz sticks and red sauce for a chicken parm sandwich.

Chill Grill/Skipper's Grill (same stuff at each)... taco bar with freshly made tortillas, a few hot sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, salads, soft serve ice cream, cookies, brownies.

*Wife's favorite dessert hack - take a plastic drink cup to the soft serve station then crumble the chocolate chip cookies into the ice cream.

Google for a map of the island and/or use the one in the app to find locations.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1

Yes, you can just walk off the ship and have a great beach day.  I suggest you watch a couple You Tube videos and choose your beach ahead of time; this means you won't all need to head out together in the morning, and the others will know where to find you.  It also means you'll be able to go out early and get good seats -- the place is pretty big to wander around trying to decide what you want. Essentially you have four choices: 

- Chill Island -- quiet, nice beach and snorkeling, first beach to the left as you arrive 

- South Beach -- more active, games, water isn't quite as nice, straight ahead and a bit of a walk 

- Breezy Bay -- smaller, lies between Chill and South

- The pool -- in the center of the island, a loud party atmosphere 

On any of the three no-cost beaches, you'll find plenty of chairs; they're arranged in sets of 2 or 4 with a small table and an umbrella between them.  

Once you're onboard, you can go to Guest Services and ask for a couple Coco Cay brochures /maps.  

No, you don't need to schedule an excursion or spend a single penny. 

Yes, beach towels can be checked out (or traded for fresh) on the island, but it's easiest to bring your own from the ship -- this means you can go straight to a chair and not need to search for a towel stand.  

Yes, some areas are restricted, but you'll find plenty of open spaces and will have no problem seeing which areas are for "paying customers".  When you walk onto the island, the water park (which costs $$$) is to the right; no-cost beaches are to the left and straight ahead.  Across the island, the day beds and cabanas will be marked "reserved", and you won't mistake them for the regular chairs.  

Yes, two huge buffets -- essentially the Windjammer moved to the island -- called The Chill Grill and the Skipper's Grill; they're identical except for color scheme.  You can also get sandwiches and snacks at The Snack Shack.  If you're trying to keep your wallet in your pocket, just avoid Captain Jack's, as it's the only place that charges for food.  Food's available starting about 11:00 /drinks will be available at the two buffets maybe 10:30ish.  Bars will open to sell alcohol and sodas 9:30-10:00ish; drinks cost a little more than they do on the ship -- I think it's something about VAT, but I'm not sure.  

Things you might not know you don't know: 

- No breakfast on the island, but you can bring breakfast sandwiches or doughnuts off the ship for your own family.  

- You can walk back to the ship, but it's a fairly long walk.  

- Don't forget everyone's ship ID; even though it's a private island, you still must be logged on/off the ship.  

- The tram will take you around the island, then right back to the ship's gangplank.  

- You can save money by bringing your own snorkel gear or floats.  

- If you want a nice nap in total shade, you can find a nice hammock between the entrance and Chill Island.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

There is lots of information on the Royal Caribbean website including the map of the island which will help you choose.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cococay-cruises

Map

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/perfect-day-at-cococay-wayfinding-map.pdf

There are at least five different beaches and lots of free food available on the island.  The Oasis Lagoon pool is free to all to use and is huge.  One end is zero entry so you can walk right into it if anyone has mobility issues.  There is a free waterpark area for the kids too, so no need to pay for the thrill park.

4 hours ago, WoodstockGirl said:

Food is available?

WG

1.) Yes, there's 7 free beaches

2.) Yes

3.) Yes, those are usually reserved for Cabana, Suite, and loyalty members. Everything else with the exception of the water park is free

4.) Yes, mostly free with a few exceptions. A map is provided with all the venues that are an extra charge

3 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

1.) Yes, there's 7 free beaches

2.) Yes

3.) Yes, those are usually reserved for Cabana, Suite, and loyalty members. Everything else with the exception of the water park is free

4.) Yes, mostly free with a few exceptions. A map is provided with all the venues that are an extra charge

There are no areas reserved for Suite passengers or "loyalty members."

The snack shacks have fruit available. Also funnel cakes. I know you can get chocolate or caramel sauce on them. The chicken sandwich at the snack shack is OK, but if you are headed to the buffet anyway....save room for the ribeye sandwich! And, of course the taco bar with grilled chicken and steak. And, brownies and ice cream.  All included or "FREE".  We are going to be there again in 3 weeks. I am already on my diet, just so I can get that ribeye sandwich! Yum Yum!!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SouthShore 5 said:

If the Breezy Beach area adult only?  

No. There currently is no adult only area on CocoCay. They are constructing one as we speak and I believe it is expected to be done towards the end of this year.

8 minutes ago, SouthShore 5 said:

Great, thank you.  We are a group of 4 adults and 3 kids, we want a space if a child needs to nap.  Will we be required to rent 2 day beds?  Or will they let us use one as long as all 7 of us are not that at once?  Do you get wristbands?

I'm not familiar with day bed policies, never purchased or considered one, sorry. I'm sure someone else can help.

This is great info.  We will be taking two of our grandchildren, ages 4 & 5 by then, in February.  They will be too small for the the water park/slides, which is fine, but it sounds like there are lots of other options for just a fun beach day.  

45 minutes ago, Softball20 said:

This is great info.  We will be taking two of our grandchildren, ages 4 & 5 by then, in February.  They will be too small for the the water park/slides, which is fine, but it sounds like there are lots of other options for just a fun beach day.  

There are great free water slides/splash zone type stuff for kids that young.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SouthShore 5 said:

If the Breezy Beach area adult only?  

No, but the new beach that's coming soon (Hideaway Beach) will be adult-only.  

3 hours ago, blondie from arizona said:

The snack shacks have fruit available. Also funnel cakes. I know you can get chocolate or caramel sauce on them. The chicken sandwich at the snack shack is OK, but if you are headed to the buffet anyway....save room for the ribeye sandwich! And, of course the taco bar with grilled chicken and steak. And, brownies and ice cream.  All included or "FREE".  We are going to be there again in 3 weeks. I am already on my diet, just so I can get that ribeye sandwich! Yum Yum!!!!

Food on the island is good!  Yes to that ribeye sandwich, but the tacos are a close second.  Don't forget that the Snack Shack has mozarella sticks -- my youngest is insane for mozarella sticks.  

3 hours ago, SouthShore 5 said:

Great, thank you.  We are a group of 4 adults and 3 kids, we want a space if a child needs to nap.  Will we be required to rent 2 day beds?  Or will they let us use one as long as all 7 of us are not that at once?  Do you get wristbands?

You're talking about more than $300 so a child can take a nap.  Can the child nap on a regular lounge chair?  I'm attaching a picture of a for-cost day bed and a set of regular chairs ... regular lounge chairs are arranged at all the beaches in groups of 2 or 4 /with a small table and umbrella between. 

You can take the child back to the ship for a nap, but it's a long walk back.  

1 hour ago, Softball20 said:

They can play in the ocean (bring your own sand toys) or they can play in the splash area at the pool.  

A safety note:  My daughter only allows my 21 month old grandson to wear swim trunks in red, yellow or orange (not so easy to find) because they are so much more visible in the water.  

Screenshot 2023-07-24 1.00.27 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-24 1.05.54 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-24 1.07.21 PM.png

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2

A few more points:

Area left as you go ashore has more shade trees.  Still have umbrellas every 2/4 chairs and tends to be fairly quiet.  Not much shade at shallow end of lagoon.  Most of the beach beds are out in the sun and have flimsy curtains - we had one booked but found that trees gave better shade and don't cost $200.

Take your own snorkeling gear (they will loan a vest if you need one for free).  Take your own inflatable noodles - the mats run around $19 for the day each.  Some people bring water chairs but we take this one on every trip because it is large with lots of flotation and easy to roll up:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BNV32GK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Cuban sandwiches in buffets are pretty good.  And a ton of fruit if you don't want meat.  Free water/juices at buffets, as well as soft serve ice cream.  Watch out for the seagulls - they will steal your lunch.  Funnel cakes star at snack shacks.

We usually go in ocean in morning, eat, visit pool to wash off salt, exchange towels (wet ones are heavy to take back to ship), head back to ship.  Zero cost.

• Like 1

Looks like our kiddos will have lots of options with no need to pay for the waterpark for which they are too small anyway.  I'm not usually a fan of private islands, but we picked this sailing so they could have a fun introduction to cruising. They will both have loads of fun with the splash pads, etc.  We live at the beach, so they are pretty used to that, but this will be a totally different experience for them!!  

• Like 1