Le Havre to Rouen

Cruizin_PA

According to the site below the quickest one way train from LeHarve to Rouen is just under 6 hours with multiple changes. I believe the bus ride to Paris is 3 hours, half the time. There appears to be some bus services which take around 75 minutes or so. You could also try to rent a car for the hour+ drive. We went to Honfleur by cab. Something like $35/$40 each way and a 40 minute ride. If you have not been to Honfleur it's a nice place to walk around.

https://www.thetrainline.com/en/train-times/havre-to-rouen?&msclkid=76948d6f76411297c9dce9af7787560b&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=EN_Routes_^_BE_FR_^_Exact_BSH15E8&utm_term=havre rouen train&utm_content=EN_Routes_^_^_^_^_Havre_^_Rouen_Exact&gclid=76948d6f76411297c9dce9af7787560b&gclsrc=3p.ds

Edited by skynight

24 minutes ago, skynight said:

According to the site below the quickest one way train from LeHarve to Rouen is just under 6 hours with multiple changes. I believe the bus ride to Paris is 3 hours, half the time. There appears to be some bus services which take around 75 minutes or so. You could also try to rent a car for the hour+ drive. We went to Honfleur by cab. Something like $35/$40 each way and a 40 minute ride. If you have not been to Honfleur it's a nice place to walk around.

https://www.thetrainline.com/en/train-times/havre-to-rouen?&msclkid=76948d6f76411297c9dce9af7787560b&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=EN_Routes_^_BE_FR_^_Exact_BSH15E8&utm_term=havre rouen train&utm_content=EN_Routes_^_^_^_^_Havre_^_Rouen_Exact&gclid=76948d6f76411297c9dce9af7787560b&gclsrc=3p.ds

You missed the "Le" portion in Le Havre.  I think this is the train from Havre, Belgium to Rouen, France.  If you search for Le Havre to Rouen the fastest train is 43 minutes, but most are around 1 hour.

1 hour ago, Cruizin_PA said:

Has anyone gone to Rouen from Le Havre on the train?  Looking at this option as it seems we would have more time explore and enjoy our time in France instead of a long bus ride into Paris.

Nope, but you should ask and look on the port page/forum for Le Havre.

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Nope, but you should ask and look on the port page/forum for Le Havre.

This is the right forum [Cruse Critic geography puts all of France on the Mediterranean ]

Cunard offers tours to Rouen for port visits to LeHavre. 

You may want to see an earlier thread 

3 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

This is the right forum [Cruse Critic geography puts all of France on the Mediterranean ]

Cunard offers tours to Rouen for port visits to LeHavre. 

You may want to see an earlier thread 

It is now because the thread was moved from Princess Cruises forum.  Didn't need any advice, thanks.

23 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Didn't need any advice, thanks.

5 hours ago, Cruizin_PA said:

Has anyone gone to Rouen from Le Havre on the train?

Slightly confused here as you say you "didn't need advice", so were you really only  wanting to know if anyone went there?

It is really easy to do, and yes, train journey time is around 55 or 60 minutes direct with no changes. I thought you might want to read this thread from March as you may get some suggestions from it. (and there is a pretty picture uploaded by a member). It is the same thread that TheOld Bear uploaded in post #5. (must have been composing/posting around the same time)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2926550-rouen-from-lehavre/#comment-65085117

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 12:04 PM, Cruizin_PA said:

Has anyone gone to Rouen from Le Havre on the train?  Looking at this option as it seems we would have more time explore and enjoy our time in France instead of a long bus ride into Paris.

Did this in 2019 and enjoyed visiting Rouen very much.

I had booked the 1st train departing from Le Havre. Was able to get off the ship before official arrival time but no one was in the terminal. An NCL ship had arrived earlier & about 10 of their guests were waiting on the taxi line for their ship. The different taxi line of the ship I arrived on had only a few cruisers. Unfortunately, only 1 taxi was present & the question was, how would the order of 2 separate taxi lines work.

A group of us started walking(not yet daylight) to the train station. I had a general idea where it was, still it was confusing. Luckily a taxi (van) was entering the port & it was flagged down. Those of us walking filled the van which took us to the train station.

Rouen was the 4th or 5th stop. It was a short walk from the Rouen train station to the sites in town. I think there are 2 stops in Rouen & I believe it is Gare de Rouen you want to exit at.

The taxi situation in Le Havre was worse in the afternoon than the morning. I found the taxi line which had about 5 people waiting. It was a holiday in France & I had no way to call for a taxi nor knew if I needed to. Walked back to the ship, which was more challenging than preferred.

Perhaps it being a holiday was why so few taxi's were available, though I saw many heading to the ship on my walk back.

The train that goes to Rouen is the same train that goes to Paris. If you decide to go to Paris, the train would be a better choice than a cruise line excursion as long as you remember to leave a time cushion for getting back to the ship.

Edited by meadowlander

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2023 at 8:04 AM, meadowlander said:

Did this in 2019 and enjoyed visiting Rouen very much.

I had booked the 1st train departing from Le Havre. Was able to get off the ship before official arrival time but no one was in the terminal. An NCL ship had arrived earlier & about 10 of their guests were waiting on the taxi line for their ship. The different taxi line of the ship I arrived on had only a few cruisers. Unfortunately, only 1 taxi was present & the question was, how would the order of 2 separate taxi lines work.

A group of us started walking(not yet daylight) to the train station. I had a general idea where it was, still it was confusing. Luckily a taxi (van) was entering the port & it was flagged down. Those of us walking filled the van which took us to the train station.

Rouen was the 4th or 5th stop. It was a short walk from the Rouen train station to the sites in town. I think there are 2 stops in Rouen & I believe it is Gare de Rouen you want to exit at.

The taxi situation in Le Havre was worse in the afternoon than the morning. I found the taxi line which had about 5 people waiting. It was a holiday in France & I had no way to call for a taxi nor knew if I needed to. Walked back to the ship, which was more challenging than preferred.

Perhaps it being a holiday was why so few taxi's were available, though I saw many heading to the ship on my walk back.

The train that goes to Rouen is the same train that goes to Paris. If you decide to go to Paris, the train would be a better choice than a cruise line excursion as long as you remember to leave a time cushion for getting back to the ship.

Thank you this is very helpful.

We are planning to visit in April 2024 and debating between visiting Rouen or Honfleur. How did you find Rouen? Worth the visit?

Thank ahead.

Cheers,

Sosogtr

51 minutes ago, sosogtr said:

We are planning to visit in April 2024 and debating between visiting Rouen or Honfleur. How did you find Rouen? Worth the visit?

We have enjoyed time spent in both, but as  they were on two different dates no "either or" decision had to be made.

Honfleur would be a shorter day, Rouen longer as there is more to see and do there.

Can only suggest that you research both online, where you will find many images, descriptions and reviews which might help you decide which of the two would suit your own interests best.

I think you will enjoy whichever of the two you choose.

Edited by edinburgher

In response to the OP, Yes we have taken the train (twice) between Le Havre and Rouen.  No  big deal but it is a long walk from the port to the Le Havre train station (have done this walk a few times) in case you cannot get a taxi to do the short haul.  In Rouen, DW and I simply walk everywhere (from the train station).  

Hank

On 9/13/2023 at 10:21 PM, edinburgher said:

We have enjoyed time spent in both, but as  they were on two different dates no "either or" decision had to be made.

Honfleur would be a shorter day, Rouen longer as there is more to see and do there.

Can only suggest that you research both online, where you will find many images, descriptions and reviews which might help you decide which of the two would suit your own interests best.

I think you will enjoy whichever of the two you choose.

Thank you for your input!

sosogtr

18 hours ago, Hlitner said:

In response to the OP, Yes we have taken the train (twice) between Le Havre and Rouen.  No  big deal but it is a long walk from the port to the Le Havre train station (have done this walk a few times) in case you cannot get a taxi to do the short haul.  In Rouen, DW and I simply walk everywhere (from the train station).  

Hank

When you say it's a long walk to Le Havre train station. I googled, it's 2.3 km. How long did the walk actually took you?

Was it an easy walk with scenery or need to navigate through lots of transport traffic (trucks)?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Sosogtr

33 minutes ago, sosogtr said:

When you say it's a long walk to Le Havre train station. I googled, it's 2.3 km. How long did the walk actually took you?

Was it an easy walk with scenery or need to navigate through lots of transport traffic (trucks)?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Sosogtr

It takes DW and I about 40 minutes, but it would depend on how fast your walk.  It is all flat and, once out of the port, just along city sidewalks.  Nothing really scenic, and to be honest, we prefer to use a taxi (if available).  On one occasion, we returned to Le Havre late on a Saturday afternoon (around 5pm) and intended to grab a taxi back to our ship.  The taxi stand is to the left side of the station as you exit (you go out the front door, turn left and then left at the corner) and when we got to that area there were no taxis and several locals on their phones trying to get taxis.  I think the problem was it was about dinner time, and French taxi drivers do not like to work during meal times, coffee breaks, or many other times!  Since the locals were not having much luck getting a taxi, we decided to make the trek back to the ship (no fun since we were already tired from walking miles in Rouen).  

I mention this because it goes to what I call our "Plan B" which we think is always an important part of independent travel (whether on a cruise or just a land trip).  In this case, we got back to Le Havre in plenty of time to even crawl to the ship...if necessary :).  Having done a lot of traveling in France, outside of Paris we know to never depend on taxis!   Even the normally reliable "G7" radio taxis are not very dependable in Le Havre.

Hank

On 9/13/2023 at 9:30 AM, sosogtr said:

I enjoyed Rouen very much. Had an outstanding meal at a restaurant highly rated on Trip Advisor. It is an easy walk from the Rouen train station to the center of the city. The architecture was stunning. I like history, which Rouen has.

I began walking to the Le Havre train station in the morning before sunlight. It was challenging, not knowing specifically where to go combined with darkness. Luckily a taxi van on its way to the terminal allowed many of us walking to get in, charged us each 2 Euro to the train station.

Walked back to the ship in the afternoon & it was challenging as well. I paid 10 Euro for a taxi to take me the last mile to the terminal as I took a few wrong turns & became tired, no longer desiring to walk.

• 5 months later...

@Hlitner and anyone else with knowledge, does uber or similar work in France?

We're in Le Harve overnight in July and thinking of train to Rouen one day and car hire the next.  But a bit concerned about the scarcity of taxis to and fro port to station and car hire office 

The last time we were in Le Harve (nearly 2 years ago) there was no Uber in that city (Uber does exist in some French cities).  Perhaps that has changed, but I would not count on it unless somebody has some very good recent news.  

We have always been able to get a taxi from the port to the train station but it has sometimes meant a wait (for the right taxi) and drivers may only do it if you share a taxi with others.  On the other hand, on one trip, which happened to be on a Saturday, we returned to Le Havre around 5 pm and found zero taxis at the station.  Several locals were on their phones trying to get taxis, but after waiting about 10 minutes and not seeing a taxi we walked back to our ship (I think it took us a little less then an hour).  One local, also waiting for a taxi at the station, told us that the drivers were all probably in their homes having supper.

Hank

• Thanks 1

We use UBER now and again on the Cote d'Azur.

I just asked for an online quote, and they seem to be operating there:

2024-03-14.thumb.png.496d722370846b431fd0e0bca4b80cda.png

• Thanks 1