Room service

Whitby100

We have enjoyed room service for breakfast on previous cruises but can’t remember whether we can pre-order with a menu on a door tag the night before, or whether we need to call and order in the morning.  Can someone please let me know?  😊 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, blag said:

I my experience the 'hot' food generally arrives tepid.

I agree, that’s why we have tea & juice in the room, then go for breakfast. If we have an early start & want breakfast in our room we tend to order cold things - cheese, ham, bread, pastries, fruit, yogurt etc.

1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I agree, that’s why we have tea & juice in the room, then go for breakfast. If we have an early start & want breakfast in our room we tend to order cold things - cheese, ham, bread, pastries, fruit, yogurt etc.

same for us, and the few times we've done that everything has been fresh, nicely presented and bang on time.

• Like 4

We had to request the cards as none were in our stateroom. Our experience with RM breakfast ordering via the TV was a failure.  After waiting 50 minutes for our TV order we got a phone call saying they were behind and it would be another 30 minutes.  That was too long and as the 50 minute wait meant we missed being able to go to the MDR we had to use the buffet (not a venue we enjoy).

While ordering via the cards was more successful in terms of getting food, with one exception every order was wrong.  They kept missing things sometimes to the extent that we only got about 50% of our order.  One day the tray arrived 30 minutes early and, on closer examination, it wasn’t our order at all.  We phoned and were told our order hadn’t left yet so they sent someone to pick it up. Turned out it was for the stateroom next door as that’s where they took it.  We were shocked that they could redirect food once it had been delivered. We didn’t touch the food but they had no way of knowing that.  We didn’t think it was a good example of proper food handling.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Carnevale said:

We had to request the cards as none were in our stateroom. Our experience with RM breakfast ordering via the TV was a failure.  After waiting 50 minutes for our TV order we got a phone call saying they were behind and it would be another 30 minutes.  That was too long and as the 50 minute wait meant we missed being able to go to the MDR we had to use the buffet (not a venue we enjoy).

While ordering via the cards was more successful in terms of getting food, with one exception every order was wrong.  They kept missing things sometimes to the extent that we only got about 50% of our order.  One day the tray arrived 30 minutes early and, on closer examination, it wasn’t our order at all.  We phoned and were told our order hadn’t left yet so they sent someone to pick it up. Turned out it was for the stateroom next door as that’s where they took it.  We were shocked that they could redirect food once it had been delivered. We didn’t touch the food but they had no way of knowing that.  We didn’t think it was a good example of proper food handling.

Strange, never had a problem with an order and always arrived within the 30 minute window we requested, usually at the beginning of the time.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Toronto Guy said:

I had to request the cards when I was on the Onward as well, I had a couple of mess ups.

November Onward they got it wrong order wrong time every time so gave up. They’ve got systemic issues on that ship (or they had). 
Shouldn’t have to request cards steward is supposed to set one on the bed every night during turn down 

Edited by uktog

Hmm is this a subtle attempt to reduce demand for room service breakfast? Hope new cruisers are fully aware they can enjoy this every day apart from disembarkation day if they wish 

3 hours ago, uktog said:

November Onward they got it wrong order wrong time every time so gave up. They’ve got systemic issues on that ship (or they had). 
Shouldn’t have to request cards steward is supposed to set one on the bed every night during turn down 

Never been on Onward - don’t think I want to!

Not had cards left on bed every night for the last few cruises. Sometimes left on desk, especially first few nights, mostly available in back of information folder.

48 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Never been on Onward - don’t think I want to!

Not had cards left on bed every night for the last few cruises. Sometimes left on desk, especially first few nights, mostly available in back of information folder.

My experience is Onward isn't as good as the other ships, but I'm hoping it has improved.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, shadowrider said:

Is there basically 1 room service menu? And the breakfast cards?

There is quite a big room service menu in the information folder and during dining room hours you can ask for items from the days dining room menus. The breakfast cards are separate. They list a whole variety of breakfast items. You tick off what you want, select a half hour time slot (from 6:30am I think), and write your name and cabin number of the front, then hang it on  the outside cabin door handle at bedtime.

As I said previously we order tea & fruit juice every morning, as there is no kettle in the room & we like to start the day with a hot drink. Incidentally we always take our own ‘Yorkshire Tea’ bags with us too.

We have never sailed on Onward but the other 3 ships have all been fine for our breakfast needs.  I initiated the question because I was deciding if I needed to pack thermal mugs in case I was popping to Mosaic and bringing back.  I would do that if we had to call and wait, but if we can preorder I won’t bother.  It must be on a cruise with lots of sea days I did that in the past and I wouldn’t have wanted to set an alarm.  This one is port intensive so we will up and ready to go most days.  Thanks again.

9 hours ago, Whitby100 said:

We have never sailed on Onward but the other 3 ships have all been fine for our breakfast needs.  I initiated the question because I was deciding if I needed to pack thermal mugs in case I was popping to Mosaic and bringing back.  I would do that if we had to call and wait, but if we can preorder I won’t bother.  It must be on a cruise with lots of sea days I did that in the past and I wouldn’t have wanted to set an alarm.  This one is port intensive so we will up and ready to go most days.  Thanks again.

We take thermal mugs for sea days, so I can take Mosaic coffees up to Deck 11 where you will usually find us in sunny climes. 

• Like 2

We have had 2 cruises since COVID, on with Onward and the other with a different brand.  No problems with room service in either.  When we don't have an early appointment, so don't know when we will be getting up, I do not use the door tag and call for coffee when we get up.  It is usually there within 5 minutes.  We have our coffee while getting ready to go to breakfast.

On the mornings when we need to get to an excursion I will use a door tag and have not had any problems with anything  (except for the morning when the coffee pot arrived empty, called and fixed quickly).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1