Island Princess Cabin Trash List

Tigrou

Can anyone beat this list of previous occupants’ rubbish/trash left in the cabin?

When I boarded Island Princess on Wednesday and first entered my cabin I found on the bedside shelf:

A dog bowl. (Seriously, a plastic dog bowl with paw pattern print. It had what looked to be pieces of stroopwafel in it but I didn’t investigate too closely!)

A glass of water.

That was just the start.

I realised that none of the surfaces had been wiped down (except bathroom countertop), the carpet hadn’t been hoovered or the bathroom floor cleaned. The bed was fine but the sofa had a fair amount of crumbs on it, and there were crumbs/dust/dirt in various drawers. 

Steward turned up a few minutes later to introduce himself, appeared startled to see the dog bowl in the bin and the used glass nearby. Asked if they were mine - no. He apologised and explained he’d only just taken over. As I know how busy they are on changeover day and it didn’t appear to be his fault, I didn’t mention the obvious lack of cleaning. I decided to wait and see, and hope he’d notice and remedy it when he got chance. (He did clean the bathroom floor and hoover the carpet that evening and has kept everything clean since.)

In the meantime I cleaned all the main surfaces, shelves and drawers myself with antibacterial wipes.  Which is when I found, in various places:

A magazine

An old apple

A baby’s dummy/pacifier on a string of beads

A few bobby pins

An empty plastic fruit punnet

An empty mussel shell

Plus the occasional paper tissue and piece of paper

This is my first Princess cruise and that was not the best first impression! 

So, is my list out of the ordinary in quantity or quality? What has anyone else found?

I am wondering what’s under/behind the sofa bed but am afraid to look ……!

I suspect the cause is evident in your wording. When you complete your cruise and depart the ship, you will notice a line of crewmembers on the dock who have ended their contract and awaiting customs and a trip home.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone just ran out of time and left, possibly never wanting to work a contract again. You should report it, being careful to say the new steward acted properly under the circumstances. We are Elite with Princess, meaning quite a few cruises and have never had this happen, BTW.

In behind the sofa cushions? Money?!! 

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, mtnesterz said:

I suspect the cause is evident in your wording. When you complete your cruise and depart the ship, you will notice a line of crewmembers on the dock who have ended their contract and awaiting customs and a trip home.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone just ran out of time and left, possibly never wanting to work a contract again. You should report it, being careful to say the new steward acted properly under the circumstances. We are Elite with Princess, meaning quite a few cruises and have never had this happen, BTW.

In behind the sofa cushions? Money?!! 

This. I have also sailed many princess cruises and never seen anything like it.  Almost definitely a crew member change-out where the departing crew member's last to-do was cabin cleanups in your vicinity and they said "F it, I'm out!" Definitely worth reporting but as this poster says make sure it's clear the new steward did his job properly to fix it. This will ensure it gets notated for the previous steward, although as noted above, that individual probably isn't planning on coming back for another contract or they wouldn't leave their work unfinished like that.

Pick up phone

Guest Services

Due to steward turnover there were several items overlooked

Room is filthy and requires proper cleaning and disinfectant

Please have it fully cleaned and changed over with all new linens

Beginning and end 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tigrou said:

Can anyone beat this list of previous occupants’ rubbish/trash left in the cabin?

When I boarded Island Princess on Wednesday and first entered my cabin I found on the bedside shelf:

A dog bowl. (Seriously, a plastic dog bowl with paw pattern print. It had what looked to be pieces of stroopwafel in it but I didn’t investigate too closely!)

A glass of water.

That was just the start.

I realised that none of the surfaces had been wiped down (except bathroom countertop), the carpet hadn’t been hoovered or the bathroom floor cleaned. The bed was fine but the sofa had a fair amount of crumbs on it, and there were crumbs/dust/dirt in various drawers. 

Steward turned up a few minutes later to introduce himself, appeared startled to see the dog bowl in the bin and the used glass nearby. Asked if they were mine - no. He apologised and explained he’d only just taken over. As I know how busy they are on changeover day and it didn’t appear to be his fault, I didn’t mention the obvious lack of cleaning. I decided to wait and see, and hope he’d notice and remedy it when he got chance. (He did clean the bathroom floor and hoover the carpet that evening and has kept everything clean since.)

In the meantime I cleaned all the main surfaces, shelves and drawers myself with antibacterial wipes.  Which is when I found, in various places:

A magazine

An old apple

A baby’s dummy/pacifier on a string of beads

A few bobby pins

An empty plastic fruit punnet

An empty mussel shell

Plus the occasional paper tissue and piece of paper

This is my first Princess cruise and that was not the best first impression! 

So, is my list out of the ordinary in quantity or quality? What has anyone else found?

I am wondering what’s under/behind the sofa bed but am afraid to look ……!

Yes, your list is definitely out of the ordinary. Never come across anything like that in over 80 cruises but If that happened to us I would be requesting a visit from the Head Housekeeper. Not even remotely acceptable 

I am a Steerage (standard fare) passenger, unwanted and unloved by Princess because I won’t pay for alcohol and coffee that I don’t drink, or the ‘premium desserts’ I won’t eat (especially after seeing those for the first time yesterday, Ghirardelli’s they ain’t).

So perhaps I’ve been an unwitting guinea pig for the next round of ‘enhancements’ - clean your own cabin on arrival?!  

• Haha 3

Just got off the Enchanted Princess last week and my room was spotless upon boarding.(Yes, we also inspect and wipe down.) We met our steward right away, and he was great!

Of course, we arrived in the early afternoon, and I know some people want to board first thing in the morning. 

It sounds like your room was not touched at all in-between cruises.  

No worries, just ask for it to be cleaned. I am sure your steward will be on the ball after such an unfortunate arrival.  Have a great cruise!