Eliminating Butlers - Spoke to Celebrity. Here is conversation.

LMHSRN

6 hours ago, RichYak said:

The current rumor circulating on Facebook is that Celebrity is working on restoring butler service to Sky Suites and that it will take some months to implement but should be done by June.

Damn,  a month too late. 

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

I think a number of them we reassigned to different positions.  So possibly they will get their positions back.

I feel bad for all those butlers that had to go through that. 

• Like 3

I’m someone who “tried out” a butler by doing a move up bid to SS.  I’m one of many who booked another SS before the changes were announced.  So yea, I’m pissed off.  I’ll believe it when I see it.

• Like 3

If somebody — regardless of title — performed the same services in SS that butlers used to perform, I don’t think any guest would care. But “Retreat Hosts are nothing but room stewards (I other words room cleaners twice a day). They are like hotel maids that clean the room twice per day — if you are lucky. If Celebriy wants to sell something below lux standards, it should charge less for it —not more!

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

If somebody — regardless of title — performed the same services in SS that butlers used to perform, I don’t think any guest would care. But “Retreat Hosts are nothing but room stewards (I other words room cleaners twice a day). They are like hotel maids that clean the room twice per day — if you are lucky. If Celebriy wants to sell something below lux standards, it should charge less for it —not more!

It’s real simple.  What did you pay for?  What did you get?

You paid for a 7 night cruise?  Well we think you’d enjoy the 4 night so much better.  You don’t mind do you?

Celebrity has bathroom attendants and nice cloth towels.  My cruise fees pay their salary plus tips.  If they went away I would adjust.  But X doesn’t charge me more for bathroom attendants then take them away.

People paid extra for cruises with a butler only to have that taken away.  I don’t want an overworked cabin attendant as my butler.  They already do too much.

If Celebrity is going to take away all the perks of being in a “fake” suite, then I’ll stick with Aqua class.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1

I know that this Is Butler thread, but one other person missing is the Assistant Room Attendant. The Assistant Attendant took considerable pressure off the Main Room Attendant. Now the Cabin Attendant has three jobs in suite cabins and I am sure that they are paid 3x more. Maybe not...

How about non-suite cabins: Do they have just one Attendant? I have not seen anything about them. I assume that they are MIA also.

44 minutes ago, sptrout said:

I know that this Is Butler thread, but one other person missing is the Assistant Room Attendant. The Assistant Attendant took considerable pressure off the Main Room Attendant. Now the Cabin Attendant has three jobs in suite cabins and I am sure that they are paid 3x more. Maybe not...

How about non-suite cabins: Do they have just one Attendant? I have not seen anything about them. I assume that they are MIA also.

I think most lines have done away with assistant room steward.    Haven't had one for years cruising HAL and Celebrity 

8 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

I think most lines have done away with assistant room steward.    Haven't had one for years cruising HAL and Celebrity 

We had one 24 months ago while on the Reflection. I think we had one 12 months ago on Beyond, but do not remember for sure. 

A three person cabin crew provided much better service than one, over-worked Retreat Host (aka Cabin Attendant). No missing items, delivering all requested items, great anniversary surprises, etc.

31 minutes ago, sptrout said:

We had one 24 months ago while on the Reflection. I think we had one 12 months ago on Beyond, but do not remember for sure. 

A three person cabin crew provided much better service than one, over-worked Retreat Host (aka Cabin Attendant). No missing items, delivering all requested items, great anniversary surprises, etc.

The assistant cabin attendants were eliminated a long time ago.  The amount of cabins each had were reduced and the black carts were introduced which seemed to improve their ability to do their jobs.  Many cited not having to be accountable to someone’s quality of work as a big  plus.  Everyone we spoke with pleased with the change.  
The only time we have seen a cabin attendant with an assistant since then is when they are training someone new. 

15 hours ago, RichYak said:

The Retreat team concept was clear BS corporate spin from the start. Celebrity can be such a good product, but Miami’s “this is better” gaslighting approach really irks me. If you’re going to cut back, then cut back and own it. Don’t insult guests’ intelligence and claim it’s an improvement and something that customers want. 

I wholly agree, but I bet the X lawyers don't.  I'm not a lawyer, but if X says the team approach is essentially the same as the single butler approach, then according to the terms & conditions, what grounds to cruisers have to demand a refund/discount?   I think X HAVE to toe that nonsensical corporate line for their own sake, even if it makes them look disingenuous. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

It’s real simple.  What did you pay for?  What did you get?

You paid for a 7 night cruise?  Well we think you’d enjoy the 4 night so much better.  You don’t mind do you?

Celebrity has bathroom attendants and nice cloth towels.  My cruise fees pay their salary plus tips.  If they went away I would adjust.  But X doesn’t charge me more for bathroom attendants then take them away.

People paid extra for cruises with a butler only to have that taken away.  I don’t want an overworked cabin attendant as my butler.  They already do too much.

If Celebrity is going to take away all the perks of being in a “fake” suite, then I’ll stick with Aqua class.

The suite gives you a larger cabin, access to Luminae, and Retreat. If they removed one of these I would agree that X broke their 'contract' and I would be the first to complain. On Apex SS last year we only met our cabin attendant a few times but the room was immaculately cleaned twice a day and this is all we required (we were actually happy that this housekeeping was handled so well). Retreat staff at the Lounge were always there to help if needed. 

To me a primary question is what do you expect the butler to do..... help unpack. Stock your mini fridge, serve dinner course by course.  As indicated before the general time demands of dedicated butlers really don't work since some passengers will dominate their time while some butlers wont be that attentive, etc. etc.

I am more concerned that the premium drink package has 'declined' on our upcoming cruise but not looking to start a law suit on this either. These changes happened after initial booking..... unfair? As always, we will evaluate cruise options, including suite vs. cabin and make a decision accordingly (one of the few vestiges left of the free market). Right now, for us, X has lost out for various reasons but primarily pricing. At some point we all have to accept that companies (no matter what business) will change their direction and maybe, even as previous loyal customers, don't desire us any longer. Time to move on.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

The suite gives you a larger cabin, access to Luminae, and Retreat. If they removed one of these I would agree that X broke their 'contract' and I would be the first to complain. On Apex SS last year we only met our cabin attendant a few times but the room was immaculately cleaned twice a day and this is all we required (we were actually happy that this housekeeping was handled so well). Retreat staff at the Lounge were always there to help if needed. 

To me a primary question is what do you expect the butler to do..... help unpack. Stock your mini fridge, serve dinner course by course.  As indicated before the general time demands of dedicated butlers really don't work since some passengers will dominate their time while some butlers wont be that attentive, etc. etc.

I am more concerned that the premium drink package has 'declined' on our upcoming cruise but not looking to start a law suit on this either. These changes happened after initial booking..... unfair? As always, we will evaluate cruise options, including suite vs. cabin and make a decision accordingly (one of the few vestiges left of the free market). Right now, for us, X has lost out for various reasons but primarily pricing. At some point we all have to accept that companies (no matter what business) will change their direction and maybe, even as previous loyal customers, don't desire us any longer. Time to move on.

Just our experience, room attendants/Retreat Host will unpack (ours did last month on Constellation). Previously, the dedicated butler would oversee the unpacking but did not do it themselves. 

3 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

Interesting that some want a 3rd party to unpack.   How do you know where your stuff winds up? 

I think they want to ring a bell and ask Jeeves.... where did you put my paisley ascot?😉

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

Interesting that some want a 3rd party to unpack.   How do you know where your stuff winds up? 

Ends up in the drawers and hung in the closets. My wife may do some rearranging, but we found it works fine for us. If you don't want a certain bag unpacked, then just tell them which ones to unpack and which ones not to and rightfully so, they do not unpack toiletry items. 

There's a long list of bullet points and other statements about what the Butler will do used by Celebrity to this day.  The expectations and promises were not made by paying customers.  Rather, they were made by Celebrity.  

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

I think they want to ring a bell and ask Jeeves.... where did you put my paisley ascot?😉

Now you’re just being ridiculous.  A butler won’t do that.  People stopped wearing paisley ascots in the 80s.  It’s all solid colors now.

But seriously this is not about having a servant.  It’s about ANY company selling a product then changing the terms of the sale, saying “the contract lets us do it”.

• Like 3

Back in the early 2000s I had butler service on Concierge balcony suites on up.  The service was phenominal and worth the extra money.  The benefits were shocking. 

I did book Beyond for 2022 and 2024 in Sky Suite, primarily for the butler service. We didn't even SEE our butler in 2022 except one time days into the cruise. I very nicely asked for 3 things, only one was done, and that was after I handed over $100 tip on the spot (on top of the paid gratuities). The butler was rude and condescending.  When she left I turned to my husband and asked if I had said something to offend the butler.  He was as baffled as me.  I ended up having to go back to the retreat lounge for help.  

Based on that experience we instantly regretted booking Sky Suite non-refundable for a second Beyond trip that is coming up in a few months.  The cost v. benefit for a Sky Suite and above isn't there anymore.  We will enjoy our next trip but not based on retreat level service and accomodations.

We have since downgraded 2025+ cruises to normal balcony and are looking at Silversea and other alternatives.

Edited by mtempelaar

12 minutes ago, mtempelaar said:

Back in the early 2000s I had butler service on Concierge balcony suites on up.  The service was phenominal and worth the extra money.  The benefits were shocking. 

I did book Beyond for 2022 and 2024 in Sky Suite, primarily for the butler service. We didn't even SEE our butler in 2022 except one time days into the cruise. I very nicely asked for 3 things, only one was done, and that was after I handed over $100 tip on the spot (on top of the paid gratuities). The butler was rude and condescending.  When she left I turned to my husband and asked if I had said something to offend the butler.  He was as baffled as me.  I ended up having to go back to the retreat lounge for help.  

Based on that experience we instantly regretted booking Sky Suite non-refundable for a second Beyond trip that is coming up in a few months.  The cost v. benefit for a Sky Suite and above isn't there anymore.  We will enjoy our next trip but not based on retreat level service and accomodations.

We have since downgraded 2025+ cruises to normal balcony and are looking at Silversea and other alternatives.

That type of behavior is uncalled for. I would have gone to GR and explained and asked to have gratuities taken off. She already received $100 that she did not deserve. 

On 1/16/2024 at 1:56 PM, RichYak said:

The current rumor circulating on Facebook is that Celebrity is working on restoring butler service to Sky Suites and that it will take some months to implement but should be done by June.

I mean it's on Facebook so it's gotta be true....

• Haha 1