RCCL stopping in Labadee these days?

3 hours ago, Tin can said:

Genuine question as I am not a US citizen but would there be any political reason why your government would advise you not to travel to Haiti. 

I took a quick look at the other countries in US advisory level 4 - Yemen, Syria, Afghanistan, North Korea amongst other such delights so the comparison seems a bit extreme to me. Just across the non physical border and into the Dominican Republic and it's a level 2 'caution' viewed the same as Sweden and funnily enough the UK.

I'm obviously aware that Haiti has unique issues compared to the DR but it's the same Island. 

Just curious by this.

My understanding is that all American government employees were told to leave the day an American working in a clinic (she is married to the founder or co-founder of the clinic or organization...I forget) and her daughter were kidnapped.   Though there are Hatian citizens protesting her kidnapping and demanding her release, citing her good work and help for their citizens, here whereabouts are unknown.   Allegedly there's been a demand for ransom but unverified. 

The problem is the law enforcement is unable to maintain order, and with government employees no longer on the island, it leaves tourists....   mostly fending for themselves.   

23 minutes ago, Tin can said:

If it's any consolation I joined the FB group for the current Liberty cruise that has just stopped there (we are doing the same itinerary next year) and everyone seemed to have a great day.

The conflict was discussed a lot before arrival but only positive things from the actual experience. Just reading a comment now "beautiful island and people'.

I'm not making light of the situation in Haiti but isn't the worst of the gang violence in LA only 30 miles away from Beverly Hills and Malibu. I believe Labadee is six hours away from the main area of trouble.

(this was posted yesterday on the FB group)

image0.jpeg

That actually is helpful.  Because we can assume, guess, or predict but recent feedback is helpful. 

We're still not getting off the ship as we aren't eager to sit on the beach anyway.  

It seems that many of the comments here can be classified either as "I am very concerned" or "I am not particularly concerned." We all have different comfort levels. I think that if one is inclined to avoid Labadee then there is always the option to cancel or change plans. If that results in a financial penalty, then one can raise the issue about the travel warning with Royal and see if they will make an exception, but otherwise those are the terms agreed to when the cruise was purchased.

As far as the insurance, the only people who can definitively answer that question are at the insurance company because every policy is different, and even then they may say that it depends on your coverage and the nature of the prospective claim. I would not trust any advice given here about insurance even if someone has a copy of the policy to review because it would be nothing more than an unofficial interpretation. Also, emergency medical evacuations from Labadee nearly always come via air from the Dominican Republic or in exceptional cases from Puerto Rico or Turks and Caicos, which may affect the policy differently than if the evacuation occured within Haiti.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tin can said:

If it's any consolation I joined the FB group for the current Liberty cruise that has just stopped there (we are doing the same itinerary next year) and everyone seemed to have a great day.

I'm not making light of the situation in Haiti but isn't the worst of the gang violence in LA only 30 miles away from Beverly Hills and Malibu. I believe Labadee is six hours away from the main area of trouble.

(this was posted yesterday on the FB group)

image0.jpeg

You go mess around in Beverly Hills or Malibu and LAPD SWAT will be all over you in minutes. Would you be getting the same response from Haitian police?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sfaaa said:

Although I have no proof, my gut feeling tells me RCCL and whoever is controlling the surrounding area are on the same page and have some kind of monetary deal worked out. That's why Labadee is left alone and appears calm when the rest of the country is turning to hell. Haitian government and police are practically under siege and fighting for survival. They wouldn't be of any help if things turn ugly in Labadee.

The problem as I see it, is there is no functioning government. Who is paid off? They shot their president and only gangs seem to be in charge.

My guess is whoever is in charge and controlling the area. Like warlords the world over, armed gangs are in this for the money. It won't be the Haitian government who is in no position to protect Labadee. 

Edited by sfaaa

1 hour ago, sadiwest said:

My gut also tells me that if they are going to change the itinerary we won't find out until we're on board.

Especially since I've already called to inquire. 

Correct! Maybe not after being on board but close to embarkation time/day.  The decision will "PROBABLY" be a last-minute one.  The issues in Haiti are dynamic and yes, there is a huge financial risk involved.  Things could change virtually overnight.  I doubt they will but it is possible.  

My first cruise was one that went to the Panama Canal.  We received a text message, this was Rustbucket Cruise Lines, the night before embarkation that the port of call in Colon was going to be replaced with Raaton because of a hurricane.  Well, overnight the Hurricane drastically changed direction or went by faster than forecasted and by the time we did the sail away in Port Everglades, Colon was back on again.  

3 hours ago, sfaaa said:

My guess is whoever is in charge and controlling the area. Like warlords the world over, armed gangs are in this for the money. It won't be the Haitian government who is in no position to protect Labadee. 

Maybe RC is the unspoken “warlord” of the Labadee area. They run the local economy, they fund the local school, provide jobs, and help when the community is in need. No local is going to ruin what they have going.

An outsider might try but the locals would spot them miles away.  The locals don’t want their gravy train coming to a halt. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

An outsider might try but the locals would spot them miles away.  The locals don’t want their gravy train coming to a halt. 

And yet the kidnapped woman worked at a clinic providing a much needed service to the people.   

25 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

And yet the kidnapped woman worked at a clinic providing a much needed service to the people.   

Which happened “Thursday morning while serving at their community ministry on El Roi Haiti’s campus near the capital city Port-au-Prince, according to a statement from the non-profit.” ( News story here. ) Port-au-Prince is 6 hours away.

The locals in Labadee are not going to bite the hand that feeds and them.

IMG_3026.thumb.jpeg.846a2ee1b9a17f9e247cc96ec608239c.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont

11 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

One of my coworker before I retired was an immigrant from Haiti and his extended family still lived in the Cap Haiten area. I asked him about ten years ago what he thought of Royal Caribbean. He loved them. Turned out through Royal he got a job on a cruise ship and that was how he ended up eventually in the US. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

In Port Au Prince however.
BIG difference. 

My point was that it isn't always a consideration that someone can be of long-term benefit to them if they're left alone. 

Getting on Oasis Friday and stopping there next week. I plan to enjoy my day there. 

I am driving from Ottawa, Canada (🇨🇦😉) to Bayonne and going to the Yankees game Thursday night. I am more concerned with what could happen between me leaving my house and boarding Oasis! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Maybe RC is the unspoken “warlord” of the Labadee area. They run the local economy, they fund the local school, provide jobs, and help when the community is in need. No local is going to ruin what they have going.

The locals may have formed a militaria to protect their own little paradise. It is plausible. In any event, RCCL is comfortable with the security situation in Labadee without the Haitian police being there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sfaaa said:

The locals may have formed a militaria to protect their own little paradise. It is plausible. In any event, RCCL is comfortable with the security situation in Labadee without the Haitian police being there.

It has been reported that vigilante groups in Port-au-Prince are pushing back on the gangs with limited success. There are many Haitians who want peace and stability but sadly the country has been unable to achieve lasting stability since colonial times and that is unlikely to significantly change anytime soon. The international community is looking for someone to lead a coalition to restore the government but no one wants to touch the situation right now.

Again, for perspective, the U.S. embassy has identified a handful of neighborhoods in the capital where kidnappings have been prevalent. The State Department travel warning exists because law enforcement has been ineffective and the embassy has limited resources to assist U.S. citizens. Labadee has private security. It may not be perfect but it is something, which is more than nothing. Criminals tend to target the weakest points and furthermore the gangs in Haiti have not proven that they are sophisticated or organized enough to effectively attack the cruise port. They can kidnap one or two people at a time from vulnerable locations and not face any legal or organizational consequences except perhaps from rival gangs.

I still would not try to convince anyone to go to Labadee and if one is cynical about the cruise line's commitment to guest safety then definitely don't go.

17 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

In any event, RCCL is comfortable with the security situation in Labadee without the Haitian police being there.

Whoever RCCL is using for security they wear some kind of well kept up uniform. I never asked them who they worked for because I am hesitant to bother men carrying /utomatic weapons. There is security. They may not be government but private. 

1 minute ago, RedIguana said:

Canadians are fine. They are a wonderful, trustful group as a whole. Now their geese on the other hand.......😁

And now those geese are hanging out in our area of Maine, they certainly didn't clear customs on their way south. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, bouhunter said:

To all the posts who said maybe an armed gang of Haitians could/might take over a cruise ship, THANK YOU FOR THE LAUGH! 🙂

Why?  Is the possibility that funny OR do you think it is not possible?