As I age there is the chance I could die on a cruise, can you be buried at sea.

Since you are from the US, the US Govt has a general permit for the burial at sea of non-cremated human remains. The normal requirements are > 3 mls offshore and in waters > 600' deep. Some areas require greater distance offshore and greater depth.

Although I haven't seen any for many years, I have participated in numerous burials of pax that died aboard the ship. The remains are secured in a canvas wrap, to which weights are added and it is then stitched closed.

The burial takes place at a shell door, with the Master in attendance. The details and position are entered in the Bridge Logbook, the Official Logbook and the Master makes reports ashore, depending on the Flag State requirements.

While you can be buried at sea, it would remain to be seen if any ship would actually perform the action in this day and age. Whereas, back in the days when I was a lowly Cadet, most months, we did at least a couple. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

40 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Whereas, back in the days when I was a lowly Cadet, most months, we did at least a couple. 

You sure surprised me with that answer, Heidi13. Was the burial at sea requested by survivors? Was burial at sea the only option?

Edited by whogo

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

While you can be buried at sea, it would remain to be seen if any ship would actually perform the action in this day and age.

This.  The liability of relatives later suing for not being able to "visit the remains" of their loved one is why no one does this anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

The remains are secured in a canvas wrap, to which weights are added and it is then stitched closed.

And, traditionally, the "last stitch" was sown through the septum of the deceased's nose so the possible pain of this stitch would determine whether the person was truly deceased or not.

• Thanks 1

If the OP was hoping that he could be buried at sea during the cruise when he passed, the answer would be no.  According to Bahamian law, where many cruise ships are registered, the death must be reported to a coroner, who may initiate an inquest to determine cause of death, or circumstances surrounding the death, and then issue a certificate of death, so this could take time.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And, traditionally, the "last stitch" was sown through the septum of the deceased's nose so the possible pain of this stitch would determine whether the person was truly deceased or not.

That's exactly how I was taught by the PO's when stitching the canvas.

3 hours ago, whogo said:

You sure surprised me with that answer, Heidi13. Was the burial at sea requested by survivors? Was burial at sea the only option?

In those days, we performed burial at sea unless the family or insurance requested/required return of the remains. We had an onboard morgue for retaining remains onboard.

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And wasn’t a coin placed in the mouth - to pay the ferryman to get the deceased a crossed the river Styx?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

And wasn’t a coin placed in the mouth - to pay the ferryman to get the deceased a crossed the river Styx?

That isn't something we did on the P&O ships.

• Haha 1

At least the circumstances are around cruise ships. Cargo ships and such tend not to carry a doctor so there is no one to formally pronounce 'life extinct'.  They may be obviously dead but until seen by someone who is authorised to say so then legal issues may arise.

Having said that things have probably changed since my day?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Buck Turgidson said:

As I age there is the chance I could die on a cruise, can you be buried at sea.

In addition to the facts and perspective provided by @chengkp75 and @Heidi13, there's possibly another option I've heard of...

On occasion I see requests on Carnival Brand Ambassador John Heald's FB page for burials at sea.  This is obviously different than your potential situation in that the requests are from surviving loved ones and there's no body, just cremated remains.  Anyway, Mr. Heald has always asked to e-mail him the details.  So, it seems Carnival still does disposals at sea under some circumstances.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

In addition to the facts and perspective provided by @chengkp75 and @Heidi13, there's possibly another option I've heard of...

On occasion I see requests on Carnival Brand Ambassador John Heald's FB page for burials at sea.  This is obviously different than your potential situation in that the requests are from surviving loved ones and there's no body, just cremated remains.  Anyway, Mr. Heald has always asked to e-mail him the details.  So, it seems Carnival still does disposals at sea under some circumstances.

As far as I know, all the cruise lines will allow a dispersal of cremains at sea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

As far as I know, all the cruise lines will allow a dispersal of cremains at sea.

It is my understanding that quite a few people with access to boats - or even just to ocean beaches - arrange their own disposals of cremains “at sea” - local ordnances to the contrary notwithstanding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

This.  The liability of relatives later suing for not being able to "visit the remains" of their loved one is why no one does this anymore.

Exactly!  These days, the fear of liability and the loudest protesters carry the day over common sense and the wishes of the people involved.  But, if I had to go, being buried at sea would be a great way to do it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Just remembered another detail.

On completion of the stitching the PO was provided a bottle of Pussers Rum. After completing the stitching the PO invited me to their Mess for a sample. OMG, harsh was an understatement.😁

2 hours ago, jsn55 said:

…  But, if I had to go, being buried at sea would be a great way to do it.

I cannot help asking about your “…if I had to go…”:   do you think that, at the end of the day, you will have an alternative?

But, back on topic:  the idea of having what material substance remains being dissolved in sea water strikes me as preferable to hoping that a few square feet of the earth’s surface will remain indefinitely mine.

• Like 1

My understanding is it has to be arranged way in advance, and the body has to be cremated. You could request this of your family, then they would need to make the arrangements.

My sister wanted to be scattered in the bay at Corpus Christi, so this was a "do it yourself' with my nieces, her friends and myself.

Edited by SPacificbound
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I cannot help asking about your “…if I had to go…”:   do you think that, at the end of the day, you will have an alternative?

But, back on topic:  the idea of having what material substance remains being dissolved in sea water strikes me as preferable to hoping that a few square feet of the earth’s surface will remain indefinitely mine.

I'm looking at natural burial, my family has assured me they'll do it. Wrap me in a shroud and stick me in the dirt. I don't care if the plot is mine forever, just long enough to allow me to dissolve. NM has a natural burial ground in the northern part of the state.

SO off topic!!