Galapagos -- use iphone or 35 mm SLR?

kaymoz

We leave for the Galapagos in a week and a half, and now I'm second guessing my decision to "just" use my iphone for taking pictures on land.  It's an iphone 12 Pro.  My alternative would be a Nikon 3100 kitted with a 18-55 mm lens, with the possibility of a separate 55-300 lens.  I stopped using this camera for travel years ago in favor of simpler ones that seemed less vulnerable while on the move.  But we are going to the Galapagos with Celebrity, who will deliver us to all the locations, so I've been thinking the logistics of this particular trip might work OK for this camera.  But would the pictures really be any better?

Edited by kaymoz
spelling

• kaymoz changed the title to Galapagos -- use iphone or 35 mm SLR?

I have never visited Galapagos islands myself, but if I ever would do so I certainly would like to take also other photographic equipment than just a mobile phone. The reason is simple: with an ILC and telephoto lens I could photograph also subjects (eg. fascinating endemic animals) that are further away as mobile phone cameras only have lenses with short focal lenghts. So, in your case, I would  definately take the DSLR and that telephoto lens.

• Like 4

We don't sail until March 2024 and I have been following camera discussions on FB.  Most recommend a waterproof camera in addition to the iPhone.  GoPro and Olympus TG-6 are the top ones.....

I am leaving my DSLR Nikon at home since it seems it will be too bulky.  A waterproof case is necessary in the zodiacs when going between the ship and shore so if you have one be sure and bring it.

Have a great trip!!!!

1 hour ago, LEtue said:

We don't sail until March 2024 and I have been following camera discussions on FB.  Most recommend a waterproof camera in addition to the iPhone.  GoPro and Olympus TG-6 are the top ones.....

These options provide the protection from the water (during boat rides and such), but like mobile phones GoPros and TG-6 have lenses with more or less short focal lengths and you may miss chances to capture shots for which you need a longer telephoto lens.

Granted, hauling an ILC and a telephoto lens (+ possibly also alternative shorter lenses) could be somewhat taxing. One alternative option would be then a superzoom compact and in this category my favourite choice would be Sony RX10 IV, although some other cheaper alternatives might work too, although these have inferior autofocus capabilities compared to RX10 IV.

As a pro photog I wrestled with this for years ... gone now are the days of 20 pounds of photography/video equipment. I also will be on the Flora in August of next year enjoying the Galapagos. I will bring my iPhone SE3, GoPro 10 and a very capable bridge camera does does everything well ... Sony RX10IV. I leave my Sony 7IV's and Zeiss glass at home ... bringing a $5000 camera/lens combo isn't good idea IMO.

The Sony RX10IV is one heck of a crop sensor camera .... 24-600mm equivalent zoom at a constant F4. Takes wonderful video as well. 

• Like 2

A lot of it depends upon whether you are going to only look at your pictures on your computer or maybe your TV or are you going to do actual prints.  A photo that may look good on your computer screen will not look as good as an 11x14 print.  Also it is a lot easier to edit jpegs on your computer than to deal with files from your phone.  I try to get one good 11x14 or larger print from every cruise that I can hang on the wall.

DON

I took my DSLR and my underwater Canon. If you plan to snorkel an uw is great to have. I have shots of penguins swimming, seals playing, even a couple hammerheads. With the DSLR I got some birds that I wouldn't have without the zoom, like tropicbirds.

Edited by MJC

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up taking the NIkon and kept the telephoto lens on it.  I bought a soft side case that would fit it with that lens, so it would have protection during the zodiac rides, and that was just fine.  I was really glad I took it since the camera on my iphone went on the fritz on the first day in Quito -- blacking out often, with occasional resuscitation possible but no telephoto function.  It ended up that the phone needed replacing once we were back home.  I took an underwater camera (Olympus TG-6) which also helped to compensate for the cell phone camera failures.  Boy was I glad to have a backup!  And the telephoto was fantastic for wildlife pictures.

Actually at the time we went I used a Nikon D610 and 70-200mm lens. In the interval have traded up to Z7II light and easy to use, I also acquired a D750 SLR.  FTZ adaptor allows me to use older lenses on the Z7.  As far as equipment malfunction I usually bring both cameras and leave the SLR in reserve in case the other malfunctions

Galapagos Penguins.jpg

Flamingo.jpg

Magnificant Frigate Bird.jpg

Blue Footed Booby.jpg

• Like 1