Celebrity vs Princess ... Premium Drinks Packages

gardengalaz

18 hours ago, cw2go said:

15 drinks per day is plenty! 😜

Patty 

About the time I get ready for some Craps, they would be telling me I'm at 15... 😞

When the first 3-4 drinks of the day are Mimosa's with maybe 2 ounces of Prosecco...it doesn't take long to approach that number.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

About the time I get ready for some Craps, they would be telling me I'm at 15... 😞

When the first 3-4 drinks of the day are Mimosa's with maybe 2 ounces of Prosecco...it doesn't take long to approach that number.  

If we ever meet on a sailing, I'll share my drinks with you, if you share your craps winnings with me? 😁

Patty

13 hours ago, karmamule said:

We booked on the Sun Princess for November 2024 a few weeks ago and the Premium package was a no-brainer for us. We both like our cocktails and beers, we both are techies who love our phones and tablets so the included wifi is very useful, I definitely see us using the delivery anywhere on ship feature, we'll appreciate the included specialty dining meals, and having crew tips also covered all combined together for ~80/person/day felt well worth it.

I feel sympathy for those with cruises coming up who are now facing reduced free dining options. Yet another sign that all cruise lines are looking for ways to wring more money out of us, it's just a question of who is doing it in the least objectionable way. Because of our initial booking choices we're insulated from this (unlike the recent Celebrity changes). It'll be interesting to see how each of our cruises will go.

Agree that this is a good value for my travel style. Also looking forward to a new ship with a balcony, variety just might make the cut backs less noticeable. Also gained $100 OBC for Military Benefit plus Princess is refundable. 

I have realistic expectations and I am happy with my choice, 

Patty 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villauk said:

So, all the cruise lines are doing the same. 

Yep.  Princess is still cheaper than Celebrity both in booking prices and packages, but, to me, these package prices are way out of bounds.  I can pay for tips and wifi (ouch itself on wifi cost), and bring on sodas and water and at least save quite a bit.  

If I may, I do have a  Celebrity question from a regular Princess cruiser.

I know you can bring on water and soda at embarkation and ports, but does Celebrity offer a bottled (aluminum can) water package itself of any kind?  Princess let's you buy a 12 pack of bottles for $7, or a 1.5L bottle for $5 (plus gratuity of course) delivered to your room.  At least in that scenario, I can buy a package of water and not have to buy it and bring it on board at embarkation, but does Celebrity offer anything similar?  

36 minutes ago, cw2go said:

Agree that this is a good value for my travel style. Also looking forward to a new ship with a balcony, variety just might make the cut backs less noticeable. Also gained $100 OBC for Military Benefit plus Princess is refundable. 

Patty 

Just booked Princess yesterday for Panama Canal in January with a TA. Saved over  $600  by booking with them got to pick my cabin, OBC and red wine.  Pretty sure it was a group rate.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, karmamule said:

Carnival has had that 15 drink limit for a while now, so I'm not surprised to see them bring it over to Princess. If only they'd bring over Guy's Burger too.

Princess has had the 15 drink cap since summer 2017.  It's not new. 

3 hours ago, cw2go said:

Patty 

If your travel partner (should you have one) owns CCL stock, they can apply for shareholders OBC also.  

Up until just recently - you yourself could have applied for both military and shareholders OBC in your name, but they just changed it so that it's one or the other pp - but should there be two in the cabin, ie one military and one shareholders, each could apply for them respectively...  100 CCL shares, OBC ranges from $50-250 depending on length of cruise.. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

If your travel partner (should you have one) owns CCL stock, they can apply for shareholders OBC also.  

Up until just recently - you yourself could have applied for both military and shareholders OBC in your name, but they just changed it so that it's one or the other pp - but should there be two in the cabin, ie one military and one shareholders, each could apply for them respectively...  100 CCL shares, OBC ranges from $50-250 depending on length of cruise.. 

Thanks for the info. Good to know! 

Patty 

22 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Will need to look at Princess for in 2025 , wife is a vet and have CCL stock , that could come in handy 

It was under 2K canadian vs $2560 booking directly plus the perks mentioned above and they threw in the wine as a bonus.  Now I'm hoping for a decent upgrade. 😆 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Will need to look at Princess for in 2025 , wife is a vet and have CCL stock , that could come in handy 

👍🏼👍🏼 If the shares are held jointly, wife can get military OBC and you can get shareholders. Wife can't apply for both anymore, unfortunately..

Enjoy. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2023 at 12:04 PM, cw2go said:

This is one of the incentives that swayed my decision to booked with Princess. Got a traditional (small) balcony on a brand new ship The Sun in Europe, many more premium perks, and its $2558 less than the Ascent with basic perks compared to similar itineraries and mid ship stateroom. 

Patty 

In January 2025, I have a week on the new Sun Princess, followed by a week on the new X Ascent.  Mini suites on both, plus package on Princess.  Princess, right now is about 2K less than X, both 7 day Caribbean.

I'm in their "Reserve Collection Mini, so on both I do get a special restaurant, although I don't think I get a lounge on Princess.  I get the premium drink package on X, basic on Princess (going up in value on Princess would for both of us cost about 280 dollars.

I like the suite product on X better (we'll see what happens to their butler team concept by then), but the price difference is noticiable.

• Like 2

We were on the Regal Princess last year and had the premium drinks package. No complaints, great choice and the medallion/app worked well as you could look at the drinks menus on your phone anywhere on board and typically get them delivered to you

Disappointed to hear about the dining changes, Alfredos was a highlight for us at lunch time for fresh pizza/pasta and was previously complimentary 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, waddle said:

Disappointed to hear about the dining changes, Alfredos was a highlight for us at lunch time for fresh pizza/pasta and was previously complimentary 

Alfredo's is SO GOOD! 

We've got Plus on our upcoming 28 day circumnavigation of Australia as well as the Total Solar Eclipse cruise in 2024. Aus was booked forever ago, and the TSE over a year ago, under the original Plus. I'm not sure if we are grandfathered into current Plus benefits, and can't tell from my online booking summary. I hope we haven't lost Alfredo's. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

I'm not sure if we are grandfathered into current Plus benefits, and can't tell from my online booking summary. I hope we haven't lost Alfredo's. 

My understanding is that if you paid $50 for plus (which is now $60), you would have to pay $10/day to get the new benefits which include 2 meals at Alfredo's. 

Which is pretty terrible of them by the way.  If you paid in full for benefits, and they change the price/benefits, should should still get what you paid for. 

Edited by kywildcatfanone
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

My understanding is that if you paid $50 for plus (which is now $60), you would have to pay $10/day to get the new benefits which include 2 meals at Alfredo's. 

Which is pretty terrible of them by the way.  If you paid in full for benefits, and they change the price/benefits, should should still get what you paid for. 

Thanks. We paid $40/day on the circumnavigation cruise. I think it was $50 on the eclipse (it's not broken down on my invoice, and my TA and I both had Covid brain when we booked it). 

Yes, it is pretty terrible. Both Celebrity and Princess seem to think that pulling the rug out from under customers who've already booked and/or paid for agreed upon experiences and services is acceptable. 

• Like 2

On 7/31/2023 at 5:52 PM, cw2go said:

But did it include unlimited Casual dining that is now being charged @$15 per meal and 2 specialty meals per pax? 

Making sure I understand my plan.

Patty 

I don’t know what you mean by “casual” dining. It included 2 meals pp at a specialty restaurant, but these cost a lot less a la carte than spending an extra $20/pp to upgrade! 

2 minutes ago, InTheDrink said:

I don’t know what you mean by “casual” dining. It included 2 meals pp at a specialty restaurant, but these cost a lot less a la carte than spending an extra $20/pp to upgrade! 

I posted a diagram Post #15

Example Alfred's is now $15 but is unlimited in the Premium package. 

1 minute ago, InTheDrink said:

Can’t help you- I sailed in June, on a ship without Alfredo’s.

I don't have a question??? I was explaining that the dining options and plans have changed so for me the Premium package is a value. 

No worries, all is good 

Patty 

On 7/31/2023 at 12:27 PM, paulh84 said:

Premium is a lot of fluff IMO. Plus is $60 per day and probably the better value proposition. Juice bar, unlimited desserts, fitness classes, 'prizes', reserved seating, photo package, etc. are all pretty worthless to me. You are limited to 15 drinks per day. If you are a heavy drinker that may not be that difficult to surpass. 

Keep in mind the limit is only on alcoholic drinks per day.  You can have as many non alcoholic as you want.

I'm still not sure I ever get to 15 total, but I could get 10 small bottles of water to keep in my room, about 3 lattes, a soda at lunch and 3 drinks, and that would be fine. (For example only)

18 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Alfredo's is SO GOOD! 

We've got Plus on our upcoming 28 day circumnavigation of Australia as well as the Total Solar Eclipse cruise in 2024. Aus was booked forever ago, and the TSE over a year ago, under the original Plus. I'm not sure if we are grandfathered into current Plus benefits, and can't tell from my online booking summary. I hope we haven't lost Alfredo's. 

You have lost it and so have we as we booked last year and paid for Plus - totally wrong to change T&Cs of those already paid-up pax.