Confused About the New Charges

tjcletzgo

I can't believe some people are so worked up over a one time $14.99 charge for entire voyage.. yes it sucks just like all increases including for a stamp..but it's the cost of a cheap fast food combo.. seems too trivial to get as worked up as some are 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, gilboman said:

I can't believe some people are so worked up over a one time $14.99 charge for entire voyage.. yes it sucks just like all increases including for a stamp..but it's the cost of a cheap fast food combo.. seems too trivial to get as worked up as some are 

And that’s exactly what they are hoping everyone thinks. It’s the principle when you have already paid for your cruise months ago and they are now, with a couple of weeks until we cruise, moving the goal posts. Not just $14.99 when you are paying for 7 in your party, and you’ve already paid for a package each and they want more.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tripmode33 said:

Can you please tell me - are you referring to the mini bar size spirits or the half bottle size (375ml)? When we have excess OBC, we often phone room service for the half size spirits, which we then take home. However that action now will cost us $US5 ($7.50 charge here in Australia).  I don't know if they'll allow you to purchase multiple in one transaction.  These type of room service items cannot be ordered on the Ocean Now App on phone or TV.  There are probably other room service items not on App and $7.50 per call will soon add up.  Interesting to see if you can pay for bigger quantity in one call and get delivered every few days. Unlikely as you're still taking crew time for delivery.

Yes Im referring to the 375ml bottles you can order before you board.  They’re a little pricey at about $18 for a bottle of vodka, but worth it to us.  We dont drink alcohol everyday and just cant get the Plus packages to work in our favor.  Ive been off CC for over 6 months and disappointed to learn about more nit picking charges.  A delivery fee for our medallions of $10, probably will go to $15 next year,  room service fee if you dare pick up the phone, fee to use the OceanNow, etc.  If we decide to keep our 2024 cruise think Ill pickup the medallion at the port.   We dont purchase the packages so fine with the old cruise card that was free.  I even read some people posting about only those in packages get headphone to watch Movies Under The Stars!  One of our favorite things to do.  Don’t understand yet what they're posting about but sure I will learn  more in the months to come.  Cant figure out if they mean those of us without Plus cant hear the sound?  Hope all this is not true.  

1 minute ago, Therese S. said:

Yes Im referring to the 375ml bottles you can order before you board.  They’re a little pricey at about $18 for a bottle of vodka, but worth it to us.  We dont drink alcohol everyday and just cant get the Plus packages to work in our favor.  Ive been off CC for over 6 months and disappointed to learn about more nit picking charges.  A delivery fee for our medallions of $10, probably will go to $15 next year,  room service fee if you dare pick up the phone, fee to use the OceanNow, etc.  If we decide to keep our 2024 cruise think Ill pickup the medallion at the port.   We dont purchase the packages so fine with the old cruise card that was free.  I even read some people posting about only those in packages get headphone to watch Movies Under The Stars!  One of our favorite things to do.  Don’t understand yet what they're posting about but sure I will learn  more in the months to come.  Cant figure out if they mean those of us without Plus cant hear the sound?  Hope all this is not true.  

People are making wild claims and total exaggerations disguised as fact.  Lots of trolls out there right now.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sprocket said:

People are making wild claims and total exaggerations disguised as fact.  Lots of trolls out there right now.   

I hope that’s the case, especially regarding movies under the stars. I really hope there are no changes in the works.  

36 minutes ago, Therese S. said:

I hope that’s the case, especially regarding movies under the stars. I really hope there are no changes in the works.  

These are all sarcastic remarks not real speculation 

Until Princess comes out with a Stop the Madness package we should be prepared for the possibility of unexpected charges on final bills. 

When I took my cruise in June I was surprised that I could not see a running tally of my charges on the TV. Not sure if I missed it, but it sure would be helpful to have that feature on a future cruise.

33 minutes ago, antsp said:

At the this rate they are going to open another customer service desk, it's completely off to change the base product after you have paid up in full

Pretty norm for all of the cruise line when it comes to optional purchases.  

Key point is they are optional that one can chose to pay for or not.

I suspect that you are seeing this reaction on Princess because Princess has lagged behind the other lines in implementing such changes and as a result Princess passengers are not used to changes.

Edited by ldtr

I have a cruise in 2 weeks that I paid for over a year ago with the Plus package, now I find out a lot of my benefits are gone unless I pay another $160 to upgrade to new package?  This just feels so wrong, they have no problem taking away benefits but will not enhance any benefits for those that booked in advance.  Sure learned a valuable lesson here.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joeydolan11 said:

I have a cruise in 2 weeks that I paid for over a year ago with the Plus package, now I find out a lot of my benefits are gone unless I pay another $160 to upgrade to new package?  This just feels so wrong, they have no problem taking away benefits but will not enhance any benefits for those that booked in advance.  Sure learned a valuable lesson here.  

Spoke to someone today, they are going to add up all the additional charges that she is hit with since the new changes, and take it off her gratuities. And to be fair to her, as she said, the crew are on a fixed wage now, so it's not hitting them, but Princess 

1 minute ago, antsp said:

Spoke to someone today, they are going to add up all the additional charges that she is hit with since the new changes, and take it off her gratuities. And to be fair to her, as she said, the crew are on a fixed wage now, so it's not hitting them, but Princess 

For reference, which ship is she on and who has actually agreed to this at Princess?

On 8/1/2023 at 8:51 AM, Ombud said:

I only use room service to trade my minibar & order elite tea .... both Captain Circle benefits & nc per my CVP (friend dbl checking that in October,  I go in November). I will use Order Now multiple times as I love the greek salad & key lime dessert while sitting in the piazza. So yeah JMHO worth it

I use the app to order food delivery probably once a day.  The one time charge will be no problem for me.  
I get the chicken fingers or tacos and dump them onto a Caesar salad.  I just love those combos.  
Oh and their chicken noodle soup is pretty good, too when I want something really light.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, antsp said:

They are since the restart apparently 

You are forgetting about the pool of gratuity funds which gets distributed to crew on top of wages by some system or method we are not privy to, but job performance is a factor in at least some of the amount.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2023 at 3:58 PM, luv2kroooz said:

This has to be one of the most ridiculous fees I've ever seen. These cruise lines continue to invent silly ways to soak the customer for more and more money at every turn. You'd need an advanced degree to understand which fare is charged a fee, based on which method you choose to order. Very very sad. We continue to reach new lows.

This makes it very simple 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

You are forgetting about the pool of gratuity funds which gets distributed to crew on top of wages by some system or method we are not privy to, but job performance is a factor in at least some of the amount.

I'm not forgetting anything, because I'm not even interested, I'm just saying what she plans to do 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joeydolan11 said:

I have a cruise in a couple of weeks with the same $50 plus package.  
It won’t pay for me to upgrade to the new $60 plus package.  I never use the phone for room service and our next cruise is on a ship doesn’t have Alfredo’s or Gigi’s.  
I will pay the one time fee for activation of OceanNow for $15.  Per guest or per device?  But let’s call it $30 to be on the safe side.  
I may go to the GastroPub once or twice but won’t have to pay the $18 cover charge they previously charged.  Now, I can order one small plate for $10, which is more than enough food for me for dinner.  So, I’m actually saving money there .. enough to cover one activation fee for the OceanNow function on the app in one visit.  
Even on a ship with Alfredo’s/ GiGi’s, you could go for $15 pp per visit so add another $60.  Now, you may want to go for the $160 upgrade that but it doesn’t seem to make financial sense to arbitrarily upgrade it just to get to get the activation fee and two casual dining experiences.  Unless you plan on ordering room service via your phone, you would need to order several times a day to make your upgrade to the $60 Plus package worthwhile.  And if you ordered room service only via the phone, you wouldn’t have to pay the OceanNow activation fee.  
The math doesn’t suggest that would be advantageous to upgrade.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

So, I’m actually saving money there .. enough to cover one activation fee for the OceanNow function on the app in one visit.  

You’re not saving money as you’ve already paid for those amenities/facilities when you paid your balance several months ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

It is my understanding with speaking with the crew that post-CoVid, the gratuities are shared for those staff members in certain positions across the entire fleet.  This was to equalize for their pay if they worked on a ship that sailed at a very low capacity.  They seemed fine with that because they might be the ones to be hit on the next cruise.  They could keep anything extra you gave them in person.
However, you are so right that the crew does rely upon tips and if everyone decided to remove them, their overall compensation would be decreased.  
This info is straight from several crew members that have befriended us.  
Since Princess is now once again sailing at full capacity, this may be changed again??? 

I did see one post that stated the tips were shared with the entire crew but then she said the Captain was part of the crew .. so, I knew that post was just, as you put it, a bunch of malarkey!  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villauk said:

You’re not saving money as you’ve already paid for those amenities/facilities when you paid your balance several months ago.

I always paid to go to the GastroPub in the past with the $18 cover charge but would just order one plate because I hate to gorge myself and really really hate to waste food.  
Now, I can pay the $10 cover charge and save $8 pp.  This is where my savings comes into play.  
I’m saving $16 per couple per visit to the GastroPub and it’s only $15 to activate one OceanNow feature on the app.  That’s not much of a savings to it’s certainly not costing me more.  

I only have one other cruise booked with the $50 Plus package and will be upgrading to the premier package for that one anyway.  It will be $600 but it’s one that I will want to get a lot of photos, drink nicer wines, get reserved seating for the production shows and unlimited casual dining, as this ship will have an Alfredo’s as well as the GastroPub and an additional specialty dining restaurant.  I have a lot of OBC on that cruise so was planning on spending it on the premier package even before these changes. 

Edited by Cruise Raider

1 hour ago, antsp said:

They are not on a fixed wage we know many employees and they get tips from the pool. So not fair to crew at all. The only real changes for those who book standard fare is no more free pizza restaurant and fees for room service or ordering food via app

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:
On 8/1/2023 at 8:51 AM, Ombud said:

I only use room service to trade my minibar & order elite tea .... both Captain Circle benefits & nc per my CVP (friend dbl checking that in October,  I go in November). I will use Order Now multiple times as I love the greek salad & key lime dessert while sitting in the piazza. So yeah JMHO worth it

Expand  

I use the app to order food delivery probably once a day.  The one time charge will be no problem for me.  
I get the chicken fingers or tacos and dump them onto a Caesar salad.  I just love those combos.  
Oh and their chicken noodle soup is pretty good, too when I want something really light.  

That's 1 way to get a chicken caesar

• Like 1