Earliest Flight from Sydney

I will be disembarking the Celebrity Edge on March 24(Sunday) & want to catch a flight to Melbourne. There are lots of flights, what's the earliest flight I should book. Plan to take a taxi from the port which I assume is the fastest.Ā 

Ā 

Thanks, Denise

There are a variables which could determine time in getting airport, especially by taxi.

Ship arriving on time,

Length of queues for taxi at the terminal,

Traffic - Sundays are just as busy as weekdays in not moreso,

Luggage.

Ā 

Personally, I would self disembark (as I always do) then take a train to airport. If you are able to manage your luggage that would the way to go and cheaper than a cab.

The station is just a few minutes walk from OPT and the trains are regular and quick, and there is a station at the domestic airport. I would work on a flight time from about noon.

Ā 

• Like 2

If flying home to Melbourne after a cruise, we would normally book a flight for after midday. We were late into Sydney on one cruise but fortunately had an afternoon flight. We have usually caught the train to the airport after a cruise because it is convenient. As long as you can manage your luggage it is perfectly doable.

• Like 1

I agree with above. On a good day, 10am is doable for domestic flights, but not all days are good days. The cruise lines advise flights to be after noon.

Ā 

Train is quicker if you line-up your disembark with the timetable, but much of a muchness if the taxi queue is short. Train is also cheaper for one or two passengers, and you can tap on/off with your credit card now instead of needing to get an Opal card.

Ā 

If you are not in a rush to get home, you can have a relaxed morning if the ship is on time, and have your luggage waiting for you in the cruise terminal. If you are on Virgin, you can also pay to have your cases checked-in and transported from just outside the cruise terminal.

• Like 2

In July we disembarked the ship at 9am, collected luggage, had a coffee in an outdoor cafe at Circular Quay, caught the train to the airport and were in the Qantas Lounge by 10.30am. Ā Our flight to Melbourne was at 2.30pm so we had hours to wait but we didnā€™t want to stuff around with luggage storage or drag our suitcases around. Ā 
Ā 

• Like 1

Just back from a cruise which ended in Sydney and I then had to get a flight to Melbourne. I decided that I'd do it in a leisurely fashion, so I booked a 2pm flight. I was off the ship by 9 am. I did the very short walk with my luggage to Circular Quay. I have mobility issues, but that walk is easy. There are seats along the way, and most people would do it in five minutes or less. I took my luggage to the storage place opposite pier 4 at Circular Quay. It's called Bounce, and I booked it online beforehand. Once free of luggage, I had a coffee at one of the CQ cafes, then caught a tram (light rail) from right behind the main building. I used a credit card to tap on and off, and went downtown to the Queen Victoria Building.Ā  This is a beautifully restored Victorian era building that has shops and restaurants. I spent a couple of hours there, and could have stayed longer.Ā 

When I got back to CQ, I picked up my luggage and went into the railway station, tapped on with my card, took the lift up to the platforms, caught the train (easy, no steps, good place to sit with your luggage) and took the train to the domestic terminal at Sydney airport for my flight home.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, arxcards said:

If you are not in a rush to get home, you can have a relaxed morning if the ship is on time, and have your luggage waiting for you in the cruise terminal. If you are on Virgin, you can also pay to have your cases checked-in and transported from just outside the cruise terminal.

that is a great ideaĀ  to have , dropping ya bag offĀ  to have transportedĀ  , while you make ya way to the airportĀ  Ā however you wishĀ  and do they check these bags into your flight or do you need to pick these up on arrival at airport?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

that is a great ideaĀ  to have , dropping ya bag offĀ  to have transportedĀ  , while you make ya way to the airportĀ  Ā however you wishĀ  and do they check these bags into your flight or do you need to pick these up on arrival at airport?

Checked-in, so that you next see them at the carousel after your flight.

https://oacis.io/booking-cruiseline-form/Ā but I figure they will also take bookings on the spot if they have the space.

Ā 

PS: When launched five years back, they announced it was for OPT & White Bay, yet the form only has OPT on the seaport dropdown of the above form.

Edited by arxcards
PS
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

Iā€™m not sure Virgin still operate that service from Sydney, I came off a cruise late March and it wasnā€™t operating and Iā€™ve heard comments from FB it wasnā€™t operating but Iā€™ll find out mid September when I come off my cruise flying homeĀ 

1 minute ago, rkmw said:

Iā€™m not sure Virgin still operate that service from Sydney, I came off a cruise late March and it wasnā€™t operating and Iā€™ve heard comments from FB it wasnā€™t operating but Iā€™ll find out mid September when I come off my cruise flying homeĀ 

Hi Bob, it was working in April after the last Ovation cruise of the season.

I have done the port side check in for Virgin flights at Sydney terminal before. I can't remember how much it cost. I was wondering if there is a similar offer from Melbourne port. I'm going Virgin this time, not Qantas and have a late afternoon flight, so it will be handy to offload the luggage.

28 minutes ago, resordanis said:

Hi Bob, it was working in April after the last Ovation cruise of the season.

Thanks Cheryle and I hope itā€™s still going mid SeptemberĀ 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, daydreamer16 said:

I will be disembarking the Celebrity Edge on March 24(Sunday) & want to catch a flight to Melbourne. There are lots of flights, what's the earliest flight I should book. Plan to take a taxi from the port which I assume is the fastest.Ā 

Ā 

Thanks, Denise

Our golden rule is domestic flight not before 1pm.Ā  We prefer 2pm just to be sure. Only time we've been delayed in recent years is coming back from NZ cruises. Not worth the stress of booking earlier flight.Ā 

4 hours ago, rkmw said:

i was just thinking how goods that..Ā  hopefully in september you will find out for us all

Ā 

Ā 

Thanks so much for all of your replies. I think I'll plan on the train to the airport & book a flight after 12. We are only spending 12 days in Australia & so we just want to get from place to place as quick as possible. We'll probably get off the ship as soon as possible!

• Like 2