Lecture Topics-Architecture Related

Clay Clayton

I think I would like to become a Viking Ocean Guest Lecturer but wanted to see what topics fellow cruisers would find interesting before I do the initial work to prepare a sample lecture.  I am an Architect so that would need to be the jumping off point. 

Would travelers be interested in modern Architecture? The Oslo Opera House for instance and the story of how it came to be?

or is historical architecture more of what fellow passengers would want to learn about?

or should I focus on the personal stories behind the Architect?

or all of the above

or not at all-who cares about architecture?😂

thanks for your input!

I would prefer to hear about the more modern architecture and how these buildings came to be built.  In the historical era I am sure those with money just built them whereas there are now far more things to be considered and overcome. Also provokes discussion on whether a building will stand the test of time to become 'historical'

I can just imagine the conversation  - Viking 'Clay, would you be able to be a guest lecture on (insert) Viking cruise? Clay 'i'll need to think about that, oh go on then'

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Clay,

When I read this I got a bit excited!  

I am lousy at history and lousy at architecture facts too.

One of my favourite tours ever was the river boat cruise of the Chicago River with an Architect Historian as the tour guide.  It was fascinating how she tied modern architecture to past architecture, and pulled out elements of different buildings that I would have missed all together if just gazing at the buildings as we sailed past.

In a similar sense, countries and cities of Europe with their blocks of buildings that don't go above - I think - 4 stories... and the reasons why.  

Cities like Dubrovnik where the city is built on hills flowing to the centre of the city so that the sewage and waste water can run away....

I have sometimes found some of the pure history lectures on Viking to be terribly boring, but what I do remember are bits and pieces of stories told where architecture comes into play.

I would be interested in new and old architecture.  How does a city like London England decide to build the modern buildings that they have built against their historical architecture, and so on....

Go for it.  I will attend!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I think I would like to become a Viking Ocean Guest Lecturer but wanted to see what topics fellow cruisers would find interesting before I do the initial work to prepare a sample lecture.  I am an Architect so that would need to be the jumping off point. 

Would travelers be interested in modern Architecture? The Oslo Opera House for instance and the story of how it came to be?

or is historical architecture more of what fellow passengers would want to learn about?

or all of the above

thanks for your input!

On our Viking Homelands itinerary, there was a professor from the UK who did a series of lectures about the architecture in the cities on the itinerary.  They were well attended.

But it was all about the historical architecture--Gothic, Baroque, architectural styles in the Hanseatic League cites, etc..  Personally, I would love seeing takes on the more-modern styles from Bauhaus to Brutalism to MCM to contemporary, etc.  All of the cities on the Viking Homelands itinerary or on your recent itinerary have stories to tell on these styles.

I also agree about finding a personal angle to each lecture.  Some tie to each style discussed or to the architects who created those styles.  Maybe Frank Lloyd Wright is your uncle, maybe your family left Germany with the exile of the Bauhaus creators, etc.  I know these are just thinking out loud, but there is definitely a reason you chose to be an architect and who inspired you.  IMHO, I think people would be interested in hearing those stories to bring the styles and creators alive.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

or all of the above

thanks for your input!

All of the above, historical, modern sprinkled with personal stories to make the building under discussion come alive. I too loved the  Chicago river cruise  with architect guides.

On my recent cruise, guides always pointed out the various type of aritchecture of buildings we were seeing and some stories behind the building of the structure from thatched roofs of cottages in Drager DK, to Swedish red summer house,  Hanseatic houses and churches in various towns, to modern buildings and bridges in Copenhagen. 

Go for it Clay,👍🏻

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Clay,

When I read this I got a bit excited!  

I am lousy at history and lousy at architecture facts too.

One of my favourite tours ever was the river boat cruise of the Chicago River with an Architect Historian as the tour guide.  It was fascinating how she tied modern architecture to past architecture, and pulled out elements of different buildings that I would have missed all together if just gazing at the buildings as we sailed past.

In a similar sense, countries and cities of Europe with their blocks of buildings that don't go above - I think - 4 stories... and the reasons why.  

Cities like Dubrovnik where the city is built on hills flowing to the centre of the city so that the sewage and waste water can run away....

I have sometimes found some of the pure history lectures on Viking to be terribly boring, but what I do remember are bits and pieces of stories told where architecture comes into play.

I would be interested in new and old architecture.  How does a city like London England decide to build the modern buildings that they have built against their historical architecture, and so on....

Go for it.  I will attend!

The Chicago River Architecture cruises are the best. Our son is an architect, based in Chicago, and says that the river guides “really know what they are talking about.”

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

or all of the above

thanks for your input!

Great! Compare/contrast the modern with the older architecture in the Scandinavian countries would be awesome. I’d sign on just to hear you!

• Thanks 1

Clay - whatever you wish to talk about.  Personally I love architecture, and especially the older architecture (pre-WWII) that you find in Europe.  I'm not so interested in the modern architecture, although some of the European cities have some beautiful newer buildings - witness the one you just were near - the Opera House in Oslo, Norway.

I like your idea of giving insight into the person behind the buildings.  That is what gives it interest.

Speaking of interest, I'm sure you've seen the really good and the not so good lecturers - and know that it is all in the delivery (some can make any subject exciting and some are always dry and boring).  Perfect example of entertaining and informative is Russell Lee, INHO the top lecturer on Viking Ocean cruises right now. !

Best of luck!  We'll be down in the front row of the Star Theatre waiting with baited breath!

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, mwike said:

I'd go with the most significant style of the places visited be it a singular modern marvel or the overall historic style.

Would be very interesting to me.

Totally agree!  It should fit the ports being visited (like say, a Barcelona, a Rome, a Florence, Athens, etc..)

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

or all of the above

thanks for your input!

All of the above.  And you would be great at this!  I hope you pursue it.

• Thanks 1

I am sure whatever topics you choose, when presented well will be of interest

I am always delighted, when in London, to see how historic parts of buildings are sensitively incorporated into newer and harmonious construction.  I am also appreciative when a historic style is incorporated and respected in newer design

I would find discussion about this concept to be helpful and enlightening 

• Thanks 1

Usual lurker here.  I know Clay is a Viking aficionado and must have attended plenty of their enrichment lectures, so has an idea of what makes an engaging lecturer or not.  I'm assuming you're an architect by trade, and not a college prof of architecture?  Have you given lectures (community/college, local senior center, etc) or architecture tours?  I've been watching a bunch of Great Courses (I like history, travel, architecture, all of which you could weave together.)  Going on my first VO this fall, but I would guess the audience ranges from people with zero background knowledge, to those who maybe took art history in college, to experts/well traveled enough to have picked up a lot of knowledge, and appealing to them all.  Good Luck!  

• Thanks 1

Clay - there are many on here that seem to know you and in that regard, I assume also know you in person from sailing on the same ship....

I can only imagine your personality, but I do imagine you as engaging, and likely humorous, or at least your posts suggest this about you.

I have listened to some of the most boring content in the past delivered by the most engaging speaker and the content comes alive.  I am NOT suggesting that your content would be boring.

If you can capture the audience, then you will be successful.

Speakers have different skills.  I am a corporate learning and development professional and I travel globally to train all the regions of my company.  My sweet spot however is a room of 20-30 people.  This is where I do very well.  I am not a speaker that can hold a room of 100's.  That is just not my thing.  Most of my audience members are known to me before and after my sessions.  I am not capturing a room of strangers.  I have a friend that speaks at conferences of 2000 to 5000 people.  That is another skill all together.

If you can capture the audience and keep them engaged, then I believe that you will do well with this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/4/2023 at 6:25 AM, OneSixtyToOne said:

Whatever you choose, you need to tell an entertaining story.

Always!   I will be rereading "Resonate" by Nancy Duarte if I decide to apply.  That is her primary thesis, every good presentation tells a story.  I use to rely on it when preparing sales presentations for my company. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, auntieS said:

Usual lurker here.  I know Clay is a Viking aficionado and must have attended plenty of their enrichment lectures, so has an idea of what makes an engaging lecturer or not.  I'm assuming you're an architect by trade, and not a college prof of architecture?  Have you given lectures (community/college, local senior center, etc) or architecture tours?  I've been watching a bunch of Great Courses (I like history, travel, architecture, all of which you could weave together.)  Going on my first VO this fall, but I would guess the audience ranges from people with zero background knowledge, to those who maybe took art history in college, to experts/well traveled enough to have picked up a lot of knowledge, and appealing to them all.  Good Luck!  

You are correct, an architect by training and experience, not a professor. Though I did usually do a presentation to my professional organization-k12 designers every year or two so have some experience with a large group.  

20 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Perfect example of entertaining and informative is Russell Lee, INHO the top lecturer on Viking Ocean cruises right now. !

Absolutely agree.  He is personable. His presentations, even his most complicated ones, are easy listens. He knows how to reduce a complicated topic to its most important points. His lectures are well-timed and never rushed. His visual aides are top-notch and used judiciously. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Absolutely agree.  He is personable. His presentations, even his most complicated ones, are easy listens. He knows how to reduce a complicated topic to its most important points. His lectures are well-timed and never rushed. His visual aides are top-notch and used judiciously. 

I am intrigued, and will hope to encounter Russell Lee on a future cruise. Does he sail in a certain region with Viking?

Russell Lee is top notch. His presentation style is reminiscent of James Burke of BBC Connections fame. I had a chance to chat with Russell and he told me he was indeed a fan of Connections.

For those who have not yet encountered Russell, some of his great presentations were aired by Viking TV during COVID lockdown. All are wonderful.

The Mona Lisa

Tulip Mania

Gods, Heroes, and Monsters

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you go to Viking.TV and search Russell Lee, you'll find all his presentations.  I agree, he's lively and engaging, but so are many other Viking speakers. 

I think the personal connection is key -- telling your own story as part of the architectural one.  Some connection to the ports on the cruise is important if possible, but not essential for every lecture -- especially if you end up on a longer cruise with lots of sea days. We had a great speaker about the White House on a recent TA.  She seemed shy about interacting with passengers between lectures though -- which seems to me an important part of the job.  

For me, some of the most fascinating places have been where modern and traditional architecture have been merged in a creative and/or meaningful way.  Ghiradelli Square in San Francisco was an early example back in the 60s (who knows what it's become now...) and the Old Post Office in DC was wonderful when it housed the NEA, before it became a hotel under a certain former President's brand.  My all time favorite was Coventry Cathedral in the UK -- so very thought provoking for a young person.  The underground neighborhoods in York (Victorian, I think) and Perugia (Etruscan) are also interesting examples and technically complicated from a construction standpoint.  

Another topic I'd like to hear more about would be buildings and former industrial sites which have successfully upgraded to be more environmentally friendly, repurposing the tons of materials on site rather than knocking down and hauling everything off.

Hope to meet you on board somewhere.  I'd definitely attend your lectures.

On 8/4/2023 at 5:13 AM, Clay Clayton said:

or all of the above

thanks for your input!

The building(s) are the ending.  The Architect(s) and their ideas are the beginning.  The stuff in-between is the journey and so (as always) the most interesting.

• Like 3