Scenic on the Seine, when not in the best of health!

Canal archive

Travelling from the U.K. via Eurostar an experience we’ve done many times although it’s changed a little since covid- just not quite so good. Arrived at Gare du Nord, note to self must take more notice of ‘the man in seat 62’, when travelling from the U.K. a higher number carriage to Paris is preferable to a lower if you don’t want a - really really long walk to the con-course. But Scenic does it again there was our greeter (sorry for the American expression) I must admit she was surprised to see us but not phased in any way and immediately phoned a driver who arrived in double quick time considering Paris traffic (Jazz your right about the Scenic drivers) so off we sent to Scenic Gem, whoopee we’re on holiday. (Traveled by beautiful Mercedes limousine, my man talking technical with the driver all the way, okay so it was his car of choice when gainfully! employed) Okay after umpteen Scenic cruises as we arrived on board we’re home. Super reception staff, lovely butler, welcome glass of fizz, what more could you want. Then things went just a bit down hill when we were sitting in the lounge we were approached by a seemingly lovely couple (they were), but they both had nasty bugs, we were assured not the dreaded C but more of a flue thing. Needless to say Muggins caught it ( what a prat) with my heart condition I’m not in the best position to fight off these things and I understand that I’m putting myself in the way of infection, but hey ho what will be will be. It meant I could not do a lot of the excursions but I can surprisingly enough give some insights into cruising on Scenic in particular you would not normally get. More to follow.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about those inconsiderate passengers.  Sounds like they learned nothing from the pandemic…this would have been a perfect time for them to wear a mask out of consideration for others.  It could really help with transmission of any sort of respiratory bug.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Canal archive said:

But Scenic does it again there was our greeter (sorry for the American expression) I must admit she was surprised to see us but not phased in any way and immediately phoned a driver who arrived in double quick time

Why was the greeter surprised? Surely she was expecting you.

Back to St Pancras and Eurostar, It was a complete dogs breakfast, I’m so glad we had our big suitcases couriered - getting through security and U.K. passport control was not to bad but picture the beginning of July mid Saturday morning and one (1) poor French guy on French passport control. The hold ups were horrendous. Well because by then I was flagging badly a lovely lady guide realised and got us to the front. The staff towards security were wonderful and tried their very best. Well we got through then up to the train ushered on board and into our seats and off we go. Ten minutes later we begin to realise that we’re not on our train but the one before. Hence the Scenic lady at the Gare du Nord being surprised the next train had 10 Scenic passengers not 12.

At our first gathering we learn the Scenic Gem is only half full, evidently this happens around this time of year at the beginning of the summer holidays. But believe it or not there were two under twelve year old children on board that even the staff were not aware of sailing with us. I’m the last person to wonder about children, I’ve been one, I’ve had two and now have a grandson and for most of my adult life I’ve worked with the Guide and Scout Associations. But I chose Scenic so as not to be holidaying with them and I cannot get a straight answer from Scenic as to why they Scenic say they cannot discriminate against them. They were fairly well behaved but that’s not the point. Well that’s my rant next writing will be more upbeat.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Ten minutes later we begin to realise that we’re not on our train but the one before. Hence the Scenic lady at the Gare du Nord being surprised the next train had 10 Scenic passengers not 12.

Thanks for the explanation. Tip of the hat to the greeter for not asking you to wait for the next train's arrival.

Re young tykes, I mean valued guests, from Scenic T&Cs

image.png.6a0560d35c0a9bebc359088f169318dc.png

9 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Sorry to hear about those inconsiderate passengers.  Sounds like they learned nothing from the pandemic…this would have been a perfect time for them to wear a mask out of consideration for others.  It could really help with transmission of any sort of respiratory bug.

Absolutely.

or at the very least keep some distance from others, not approach them as they did to Canal Archive 🙄

• Like 1

I’m getting ready to take an extended trip and have been masking in public more than usual for the past week.  Just don’t want to contract any virus beforehand.  Likewise, I have friends with other health issues and they always mask when in close quarters to protect themselves.  I feel Covid has fostered more acceptance of masking against viruses and as a courtesy to others when one is contagious.  Many Asian countries have this practice imbedded in their culture and I’m happy to follow that good example.  

• Like 2

Off we go, Scenic Gem looks spick and span there are a few tweaks from our first cruise on her, only to be expected, especially the crew seem well adjusted and used to working together. Unpacked, yes our suitcases arrived safely as my DH already knew as his ‘app’ had followed the locators all the way - men and their gadget’s. We never did find out why they to a detour to Belgium. It would seem that Scenic are completely up with luggage arriving this way, so I’ve decided no more hauling suitcases around the world, okay it’s more expensive but what a relief. (They arrived safely home and our delivery guy had never come across this and asked for the company details) unpacked and off to the port talk. Our cruise director was Mandy which I believe was Jazz’es director as well, excellent included all explained a lot without talking down to anyone. For the first time ever on a river cruise that we’ve been on she fully explained - breasting up, mooring together, she reassured everyone that this would only happen if it was really necessary and would ensure that we knew if it was about to happen. Well of course it did a couple of times not once did our contingent have to walk over another boat to get to our home from home. What a secret joy to relax on your top deck with a bottom of excellent bubbly knowing that others were exerting themselves and not us.

Talk again soon.

• Like 1

do the TV's i n the river ship cabins have USB ports so you can bring downloaded programs from home to watch?

copied my above question from another thread - since you are on  a Scenic ship perhaps you could answer this for me?

Hi Kristelle sorry home now and have never thought about a fire stick, but if you look at the info under river cruising the contact details are there of all the Scenic vessels why not drop your future vessel an email and ask the reception team the question I’m pretty sure you’d get an answer. Do let us know what happens.

On 8/7/2023 at 9:43 AM, Gourmet Gal said:

I agree, I think I would have told them that I didn't want to catch anything and politely move away. Some people just don't care, so if they didn't care about possibly infecting other passengers, they probably wouldn't notice.

Sorry you got sick, not how you want to do a cruise. I was more worried about the troubles in Paris that were going on while you were there, I hope they didn't interfere with your trip.

• Like 1

Sorry watching Scenic Eclipse on the Discovery Channel looks superb. 
We actually saw no sign of the troubles at all in Paris and the crew and our drivers seemed quite laid back about it and said it was pretty much confined to particular areas and fully police controlled who I must admit did wonder around in fairly large groups. But one evening in Rouen the cabin below us suffered a broken window cracked not broken out. The cabin was vacant and the powers that be couldn't decide if it was an attempt to smash it by young idiots or someone tried scratching on the glass which in turn made it fail. When we arrived in Honfluer the window was knocked out and repaired very very quickly. Our two Captains were furious that their vessel had been damaged. More on our superb Captains tomorrow.

A little taste of what we got up to.

image.thumb.jpeg.7e44e8c852c638f5929372d367a6efe4.jpeg

I'm glad to see they are still using that "very special guide" to Château Galliard!  We took that hike with him and felt that he was the best tour guide we have ever had – second only to the next day on the Viking walking tour in Rouen [when ... you guessed it ... we had him again!]

Returned from a Viking river cruise at the beginning of July. We did not know that it was the 2nd part of a longer cruise. 2/3 of the people were on since Amsterdam (we boarded in Budapest). Many were sick and some even confined to their cabins but others with milder symptoms were still socializing with everyone. A lot of couching going on. We caught it but got home before we had any symptoms. I was OK after a couple of days but my husband had the cough for about a week. We did test ourselves for Covid but the results were negative.

Two friends were also cruising at the same time. Both caught Covid on different itineraries and ships

and one not only got that but then a gastrointestinal bug.  We leave in less than a month and are keeping our fingers crossed. Really ruins your cruise you have paid $$$ for if you end up sick and can't participate in the excursions..

Jazz I have his name written somewhere, I must find it he was just about the best tour guide ever. Didn’t do the castle as the ticker got just a bit worried where that was concerned but here’s his entrance to grab his walkers (got it Rolllo!) actually here he is Richard the Lionhart.

image.thumb.jpeg.31ac42945998e1e2852587281b156327.jpeg

He was enough to scare the pants off of any opponent.

So the boat actually emptied and I have this whole superb crew to pander to my every need so an excellent opportunity to explain Scenics employment policy after Covid.
Before Scenic employed from a German staff supply company, not now. Every person on board apart from one is employed individually by Scenic they are chosen and keep their jobs and earn any promotions by their own efforts. The odd one out is the Cruise Director she or he is on contract which apart from anything else means that ‘Mandy’ our CD can swap with the Bordeaux CD if required and/or someone else can cover at short notice. Thinking about it and seeing it in situ it works. I’ve seen many Scenic crews they have all been good regardless of which river but this crew were to my mind exceptional and that not just because I was really pandered to because I was ill. 

Ohh water bottles everyone has one in their cabins for continued use, I would say they need a handle holder on them, but that’s me being picky. When you need them for an excursion either ask your butler to get it filled with the tipple of your choice or take it to the bar yourself and get it filled - Scotch if you want or maybe iced water or flavoured water you name it you’ll get it. All the water on board is filtered to me just a little strange taste but soon acquired my DH didn’t taste any difference.

image.thumb.jpeg.08846c2d6e276f7381b75999903064e1.jpeg

Sorry not a good picture of Rollo the Walker our Viking.

Edited by Canal archive
  • Like 1

His real name is Ben Baillie, and I expect you'll be posting a third picture of him as the WWI doughboy.  [He told us that he offered his services to all the river cruise lines, but only Scenic was interested.  Just another example of why Scenic has become #1 for us.]

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

but only Scenic was interested.

The other companies' loss. Why would you not have Richard and Rollo showing you around... I would love it. Happened to get involved, literally the situation got me, in an audience participation of a demonstration fight in an English castle, many years ago. They were two fabulous guys, knowledgeable and strong. Very fond memories, this girl has. :classic_wink:

@Canal archive that is a busy schedule you posted. Sorry to hear health did not cooperate. Not helped by that encounter especially. Some people...

So good that Scenic sails into Honfleur. I would only sail with a company that sails that far, it is superior to turning in Caudebec-en-Caux in my opinion.

notamermaid

13 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Happened to get involved, literally the situation got me, in an audience participation of a demonstration fight in an English castle, many years ago. They were two fabulous guys, knowledgeable and strong. Very fond memories, this girl has. :classic_wink:

Were you the fair maiden they were fighting over?  😉

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.daffd1056e8c99372001d2b5fceebcee.jpeg

Here he is, now his talk about WW1 was the most moving experience I’ve ever had on any cruise and coming from a British Vet even more so, his comparisons were so special he had all of us ladies in tears. It was certainly amazing how many of us had  family members who had been involved in WW1 considering that it wasn’t a full ship. Also surprising that so many didn’t realise that they can search for the burial places or memorial places of family members through The Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Just a special day.

• Like 2