NCL Jewel 7/31/23 Cruise = Covid

Dgoddess61

Wondering how many fellow cruisers have become sick with Covid?  I became sick the evening before disembarking the ship.  I noticed people walking with boxes of Kleenex sucking on cough drops and even checking each other for fever.  They were sitting in public areas and spreading whatever they had with the rest of us passengers.

44 minutes ago, njkate said:

I always take covid tests with me, if I felt Ill would self test, if positive I’d self quarantine myself. Unfortunately it’s here to stay

If I felt ill, I'd stay in the cabin....covid, cold, flu, noro etc.

No matter what I had....I wouldn't go out of my way "to spread the love".

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I think this is a reality that we have to accept as we travel. 

Both my father and I tested positive after cruises last year (mine on Carnival, my father's on Royal). It's just out there now and we are as likely to pick it up as a cold or flu. 

My family did three cruises last year (we had planned one a year for 2020, 2021 & 2022 to get some quality time in before our eldest graduated high school so stacked them all last year). We travelled across three brands and noticed a difference in how things were handled as the year went on. 

In March on NCL we had the strictest requirements.... proof of vaccination, tests to get on, washy washy guy present at buffet (not unusual for NCL though), plenty of people electing to mask in common areas, test to get home. In July on Carnival it was much looser: test to get on, hardly any masks in sight and a serious lack of hand sanitizer stations in the buffet to the point that we had to actively look for them. In December on Princess there were no requirements at all and not much access to sanitizer. 

I think it's less scary than it was in 2020/2021 but it's not going away any time soon and whenever we gather with people in any setting (cruise ship, movie theatre, airplane) we are at risk of picking up anything communicable. 

We did a three day weekend trip to Chicago last month and I came home with a bad cold (tested for COVID multiple times, all negative) - one of those acceptable risks we take in order to travel. 

39 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

If I felt ill, I'd stay in the cabin....covid, cold, flu, noro etc.

No matter what I had....I wouldn't go out of my way "to spread the love".

Totally agree only mentioned covid as that was the topic posted

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I think a good part of the concern the OP was expressing was that other pax who were clearly ill with something weren’t doing anything to protect others. 

The same thing has happened, and will continue to happen, in every other setting mentioned above.

Cruises are no different.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

The same thing has happened, and will continue to happen, in every other setting mentioned above.

Cruises are no different.

And I didn’t say they were, in terms of people’s behavior. 

• Like 1

I think a good part of the concern the OP was expressing was that other pax who were clearly ill with something weren’t doing anything to protect others. 

Bingo!  If you are sick, isolate yourself.  Yes, you paid for your cruise/excursion and don't want to lose out -but so did everyone else that you may infect. 

• Like 5

It is frustrating if you are person who would take measures to isolate and protect others if you felt ill to see people clearly sick out and about. 

On our Princess cruise last year, there was a man on a ship-sponsored shoreex that was visibly quite ill and based on my observations should have been in bed and not on a jam packed bus. He was pale, sweating and coughed consistently during the hour long bus transfer there and back. He had a mask but actually took it off when he was coughing. My son and I were sitting across from him and were very concerned we would get sick. We had brought masks for the airplane but didn't think to bring them on the shoreex so literally put our heads in our shirts. 

We ended up getting seated directly behind the same couple (in different seats) for the ride back and for once in my life (meek Canadian here) did something about it. Got up and asked the tour guide if we could use the seats at the very front that had a "do not sit here sign." Told him we had sat next to him the first bus ride, were travelling in two days and couldn't risk getting sick. He allowed us to move and made a few announcements to the effect of, if you are feeling ill, please use a mask. Very unpleasant. Luckily (and perhaps surprisingly) we did not get sick but that certainly was one instance of someone not choosing to isolate themselves to protect others. 

• Like 4

Can't dictate and mandate what others do, IMHO, a matter of taking personal responsibilities to safeguard yourself and personal well-beings, alert & aware of surroundings and adopt self-protection measures as necessary & appropriate.  Check with one's PCP (personal/family doctor) about advice on getting an extra (new or otherwise) booster if in the high-risk category.  Norovirus are going around and the annual flu season is just around the corner ... it is what it is.  Still have a decent quantity of C19 rapid test kits in our "strategic" stockpile thru this winter & they travel with us.     

https://abc7ny.com/new-covid-variant-eg5-omicron-cdc/13619914/

Happy, safe and healthy travel.  Cheers 😎

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Can't dictate and mandate what others do, IMHO, a matter of taking personal responsibilities to safeguard yourself and personal well-beings, alert & aware of surroundings and adopt self-protection measures as necessary & appropriate.

In a perfect world, personal responsibility would mean that someone who is ill would self-isolate, wear a mask to mitigate spread and so forth. Self-protection only goes so far if "typhoid Mary" is onboard.  

• Like 4

EVERYONE!  I am the original poster on this topic.  I did not need to have comments about Covid is everywhere, etc!  I want to hear from people who were on the Jewel during my sail dates that became ill!  I also wanted to share with others who may have concerns about this topic that there were passengers who were obviously SICK in public areas spreading whatever cooties they had with fellow passengers.  In this particular case I don’t need opinions.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Dgoddess61 said:

EVERYONE!  I am the original poster on this topic.  I did not need to have comments about Covid is everywhere, etc!  I want to hear from people who were on the Jewel during my sail dates that became ill!  I also wanted to share with others who may have concerns about this topic that there were passengers who were obviously SICK in public areas spreading whatever cooties they had with fellow passengers.  In this particular case I don’t need opinions.

If you want to restrict responses to people on your specific sail date, perhaps posting on the roll call for that trip would be a better option.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2862450-ncl-jewel-july-31-2023-seward-ak-to-vancouver-bc

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, julig22 said:

In a perfect world, personal responsibility would mean that someone who is ill would self-isolate, wear a mask to mitigate spread and so forth. Self-protection only goes so far if "typhoid Mary" is onboard.  

But it is not a perfect world. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dgoddess61 said:

But there is COVID on every cruise. Your cruise and your experience is nothing special.

I often look "sick" because I have very bad allergies that I take medication for. But that doesn't stop me from sneezing, blowing my nose, having bloodshot eyes. I can be perfectly fine, then go ashore and smell the flowers, and comeback a mess. I don't need people judging me and saying "go isolate so I don't catch your cooties". There are no cooties to catch. 

• Like 6