Gratuities increase in 4 years - Royal Carribean

8 hours ago, apierson23 said:

I didn't really mind the current mandatory tip level on my recent cruise but I didn't give much more than the mandatory.  I know the people in my group that got the drink package tipped extra at the bars since they consumed a lot of drinks but in general the $36 tip per day seemed sufficient considering the 1 per day cleaning and the less employees I saw cleaning and serving drinks around the pools.  Stuff goes up in price including the tip but it did reduce any extra tipping for me.

There is no "mandatory" tip. You can go or call guest services at anytime during your trip and ask to have the automatic gratuities removed from your account for any or no reason at all. 

You can also tip then in cash. What you want, to who you want, when you want.

Just saying.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RKHOOKER said:

Not sure about that. In Australia all gratuities must be included in the advertised cruise fare.  This is the law. The rest of the world should follow suit. It it put an end to the gratuities debate. Service over & above what is expected will still be tipped by those who wish to do so.

There is a reason things are done differently in different parts of the world. Australia isn’t the only one with this approach, but nobody “should” copy. 

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

I am not worried about the few dollars more for the hardworking staff, but the price of the cruise is now obscene.  So sad that they are pricing many people out of cruising.  We went to a wonderful, truly all inclusive resort in cancun recently which was a bargain compared to our upcoming cruise.  We do like to sail in a suite- but entry level- the perks do not compare to a 5 star AI. resort.  For now, we will continue to do both.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RyderJ201 said:

There is no "mandatory" tip. You can go or call guest services at anytime during your trip and ask to have the automatic gratuities removed from your account for any or no reason at all. 

And those of us who do not remove the tips are subsidizing those who do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I am not worried about the few dollars more for the hardworking staff, but the price of the cruise is now obscene.  So sad that they are pricing many people out of cruising.  We went to a wonderful, truly all inclusive resort in cancun recently which was a bargain compared to our upcoming cruise.  We do like to sail in a suite- but entry level- the perks do not compare to a 5 star AI. resort.  For now, we will continue to do both.

Interesting. Prices for good A/I are downright scary ...

We find cruise pricing is much more reasonable. And it is even cheaper if you do not need to fly there.

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

Interesting. Prices for good A/I are downright scary ...

We find cruise pricing is much more reasonable. And it is even cheaper if you do not need to fly there.

We always stay in a suite on a cruise.  At all inclusive hotels not only is all food paid for but alcohol.  In rooms they supply drinks and snacks. We have free unlimited room service.  The rooms are huge with marble floors a huge bathrooms.  If you take a tiny cabin on a cruise ship and include wiifi and alcohol expensive.  We enjoy cruising, and hopefully we will continue to.  But will augment with AI resorts, especially in playa mujeres mexico

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

For us entertainment and the fact that we visit different places during cruises is a big thing.

I am yet to see any A/I which comes close to cruises in terms of entertainment.

Drinks? Yes, they are not included, we are D+ and for now it is enough.

We do not cruise in suites, we do insides or balconies, but in A/I we do not spend much if any time in our rooms. We went twice to A/I during pandemic as cruises were not available. To Iberostar Paraiso Grand and Maya in Riviera Maya near Cancun. But then we returned to cruising 5 times a year. Southern Caribbeans several times a year, Bermudas, Bahamas, NE/Canada, occasional Europe.

53 minutes ago, Tatka said:

For us entertainment and the fact that we visit different places during cruises is a big thing.

We do not cruise in suites, we do insides or balconies, but in A/I we do not spend much if any time in our rooms. We went twice to A/I during pandemic as cruises were not available. To Iberostar Paraiso Grand and Maya in Riviera Maya near Cancun. But then we returned to cruising 5 times a year. Southern Caribbeans several times a year, Bermudas, Bahamas, NE/Canada, occasional Europe.

Unless you keep switching up ships, the entertainment never changes other than a comedy or headliner once a week and to me after I've seen it twice I'm no longer entertained. Even if you do keep switching ships, at 5 cruises per year, you are bound to repeat the same ships/shows more often than not.  Lots of AIs have excellent animation teams, but you are not on a ship. You can hop in a cab and go find whatever entertainment is available outside that particular resort.  Visiting different places is also subjective, other than Europe - not much new under the sun after the first few visits to that port. If you stay on land - you are just as free to book multiple excursions all to different places and different experiences on each day of your vacation. Just won't be in a different country.  Another bonus is that you can actually book your own excursion at half the price and triple the selections available without worrying about missing the ship on the way back. Hotel will still be there even if you are late coming back.

We rarely repeat ships during one year, but even if we do we enjoy small scale entertainment like Latin or other bands not less than large. And they do change even within the year.  As do headliners. I find RCI entertainment invaluable. Tried to count how much similar shows would cost on land... well.. no comparison.

For us visiting places is not subjective. We actually started with A/I 20+ years ago. First times it was exotics, but we got bored and after trying cruises it was no comparison. We sailed with 8 lines to find what we like better and due to various factors switched mostly to RCI and sometimes Celebrity (and we do other lines if itinerary kills us)

We cruise because cruising is something that we love, and something I dreamed of since childhood.

Sailaways (preferable in VCL) alone is something I need to have keep me happy  🙂

Food, drinks matter, but way less, although I always find something that I like... To be in shape I switched to eating way less that I used to do in the beginning of cruising. 5 times a year can be dangerous in this regard. 

We rarely do ships excursions and never in 58 cruises missed the ship (we always get off in ports except now in Port Canaveral  sometimes). I know how to use watch and be organized. Independent proven guides know this too. They are paid after excursions and also they know that bringing us on time is a key to their business. Should they ever be late this will be all over the internet and the end. But we are travelers and know how to explorer places without guides too.

We also rent cars in many places and explore by ourself.

I sometimes miss late swim, AI is good for this, but this is the only thing I miss.

Edited by Tatka

14 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Still Cruising is alot cheaper today then 35yrs ago and that's w/o Inflation

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Still Cruising is alot cheaper today then 35yrs ago and that's w/o Inflation

We started cruising 20 years ago and the current prices we checked are over double what we paid. The overall experience has been so watered down it’s like comparing apples with bowling balls. Even without inflation. That’s just the cruise itself, all the extras is even worse. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tatka said:

We really loved the finest resort in playa mujeres Mexico.  The excellence half is adult and finest half family.  We were very satsfied. We only sail in suites.  Too clostrphobic for me in a small cabin

• Like 1

Just now, Cruise a holic said:

We really loved the finest resort in playa mujeres Mexico.  The excellence half is adult and finest half family.  We were very satsfied. We only sail in suites.  Too clostrphobic for me in a small cabin

I have claustrophobia, but claustrophobia is usually caused by fear of suffocation. Ships have great ventilation systems so I never felt claustrophobia.

Besides we have large house and backyard for two of us. When we cruise we spend minimum time in our cabin and most in Solariums, clubs etc. We basically only sleep in cabin. We will have balconies last two cruises this year and I am sure we will use it 15 minutes total. 🙂 again.

8 hours ago, Tatka said:

I have claustrophobia, but claustrophobia is usually caused by fear of suffocation. Ships have great ventilation systems so I never felt claustrophobia.

Besides we have large house and backyard for two of us. When we cruise we spend minimum time in our cabin and most in Solariums, clubs etc. We basically only sleep in cabin. We will have balconies last two cruises this year and I am sure we will use it 15 minutes total. 🙂 again.

That is your claustrophobia- but small confined places not for me.  We enjoy breakfast on our balcony, lots of closet and drawer space and at least one large bathroom, with storage.  We love our private time in our suite and while we enjoy the entire ship, love  time in our suite during the day-  For us, not just for sleeping. In the summer, our cruise port is about one hour and 15 minutes from our home.  We also enjoy a extra day or two at different ports that we might fly into.  Different strokes for different folks as they say.  Enjoy your cruises.

• Like 1

This is a difference. I live in private months between cruises. Large house, backyard etc. Aside from weekends it is two of us.

Cruises to us is like going out to restaurant.. travels. Also even when we do have balconies we do not eat there because I like to have variety in food and buffer, restaurants provide this.

During summers we do not even cruise anymore. Last summer cruise was on Queen Mary 2  for Independence day in 2017. We camp and vacation on Cape Cod and Maine. We cruise around Labor Day, Thanksgiving, New Year (or right after), in March and our last cruise is around Memorial day. All to maximize our vacation time as we work. 

Enjoy your cruises!!!

17 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

We started cruising 20 years ago and the current prices we checked are over double what we paid. The overall experience has been so watered down it’s like comparing apples with bowling balls. Even without inflation. That’s just the cruise itself, all the extras is even worse. 

Cruise prices were cheaper 20 years ago, they were not cheap 35 years ago.

First cruise Sept. 1987 - Song of America 7-night eastern Caribbean, port hole cabin.  I think is was around $2000 for two.

Last cruise May 2023 - Anthem of the Seas 11-night transatlantic, 4D-OV balcony cabin.  $942.38 for two.  

Next cruise Sept 2023 - Liberty of the Seas 9-night CA/NE, Inside GTY.  $1203 solo ($1706 for two).  Same itinerary - Oct 2018 on Anthem of the Seas 9-night CA/NE, Inside GTY was $1900 for two.

3 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Cruise prices were cheaper 20 years ago, they were not cheap 35 years ago.

First cruise Sept. 1987 - Song of America 7-night eastern Caribbean, port hole cabin.  I think is was around $2000 for two.

Last cruise May 2023 - Anthem of the Seas 11-night transatlantic, 4D-OV balcony cabin.  $942.38 for two.  

Next cruise Sept 2023 - Liberty of the Seas 9-night CA/NE, Inside GTY.  $1203 solo ($1706 for two).  Same itinerary - Oct 2018 on Anthem of the Seas 9-night CA/NE, Inside GTY was $1900 for two.

...Time for me to start doing transatlantics !!

Wow 

On 8/11/2023 at 4:23 AM, yogimax said:

And those of us who do not remove the tips are subsidizing those who do.

When people are given a choice they are entitled to make that choice. Make the system the same for everyone then it's not an issue. Australia started including tips for this reason.

• Like 3

On 8/10/2023 at 9:30 PM, Tatka said:

I don’t have real claustrophobia, but I like fresh air and I love the sound of the ocean. For those two reasons we almost always get at least a balcony room. Yes we can see and hear the ocean from many areas on the ship, but rarely are they as quiet as our balcony.

You my find that you’ll spend mornings enjoying your coffee out there, or an afternoon break from all the noise and activity to just relax and take a quick nap, or have a glass of wine before going to dinner and the evening activities.

On 8/9/2023 at 11:28 AM, MommaBear55 said:

The complaint I have is that they increased the gratuities one month and shortly thereafter dropped the cabin cleaning from twice to once a day. That also has to be considered an increase in gratuities because you were paying more but getting less. 

Yes, this is my complaint too.  I would've been more willing to accept a change if it'd been ONE or THE OTHER.  But more money coupled with reduced service is not right.  

On 8/9/2023 at 12:07 PM, Mapleleafforever said:

On our last cruise (May 2023) the line up for guest services on the last day was super long. Wonder why?

Admittedly, people go to guest services for a lot of reasons on that last day:  They need to change their departure time, they've looked at their bill and found a problem, they've lost their ship ID ... and some of them are removing tips.  

Hint:  If you need to go to Guest Services and don't want to wait in line, go down in the middle of the night.  You'll walk straight to the counter.  

On 8/9/2023 at 1:12 PM, J0Y0US said:

Why doesn't Royal just pay them better and allow gratuities actually be for better service as our discretion? Ah its to avoid taxes and avoid making their cruises look more expensive.

Exactly ... they want to make their cruise appear super-cheap online, so they don't include tips, port taxes, etc.  And they only advertise the cheapest room ... the inside guarantee.  

On 8/10/2023 at 9:30 PM, Tatka said:

Oh, great.  I have mild claustrophobia, and I've never once thought about suffocation. 

No, for me it's a fear of being unable to move, especially the fear of being unable to move my arms and legs and escape from an enclosed space.  If I have a bad dream, it's always being eaten by a shark or locked in a coffin or just otherwise "stuck".  I was genuinely terrified when I thought about those poor Titan Submarine people ... I really worried that the thing was turned on its end and they were all smushed together, unable to move.  You don't need to tell me this makes no sense ... I know.  That's why it's a phobia.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1