PAYING for Pizza in Sorrento’s

If they were to charge for pizza, imagine what it would do to the lines, that are already long. They would have to swipe your card and have everyone sign their receipt before going on to the next customer. Lines would triple in size, if not more.

For those who have cruised Carnival, you could go to the main dining room faster than you could get pizza, if they were to start charging. They have the longest pizza lines in the industry.

Still extremely disheartening that they are even asking this on a survey. And whoever approved this to be a survey question to begin with should be fired. Pure GREED!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sailor05 said:

Next they're going to charge for more than 1 roll of toilet paper per week.😁 I can see maybe another pizza joint making REAL pizza's and charging, but not that cardboard crap that is only good at 2am when I'm "slightly" intoxicated 🤪

We have been our own TP for years

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Isn't Giovanni’s already another pizza joint with a charge? That is what it looked like to me on Odyssey.

Exactly as it was on Wonder a few weeks ago.

It seems Giovanni's Kitchen serves this purpose better than Giovanni's table.

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I wouldn't assume that.

Which part? I am not assuming they monitor the boards. A for it being good people voicing their opinion...probably true as you never know what you get in cracker jacks. 

Unlike other cruise lines, Royal does not have late night WJ hours.  Most other cruise lines have a "snack time" around 10-Midnight, give or take.  Royal ends buffet dinner around 9 or 930 and that's it. Those who plan to go to WJ to take food and go back to cabin for later on...let's face it, you probably aren't going to actually do that because you'll be at dining/lounges/entertainment and not foraging for rolls and cookies. 

Think about how absurd, pathetic, and downright stupid Royal is forcing customers to think about workarounds on a multi-thousand dollar vacation because they want to make more revenue off their $2 pizzas 

Let's face it, Royal is no longer even a luxurious vacation - like an arcade just keep inserting quarters every 30 seconds or so 

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

And if they are naive  enough to start charging for Sorrento's , It's not hard to figure how many people would premptively (secure) a snack for later from WJ , incase they were hungry. I personally  have some nights where i feel like eating the ship and other nights I can fade away into lala land with nothing . If I know there is no free 'latenight' venue where I can stuff my face if I want to , I am gonna load up from windjammer for later . Some nights that will be eaten , but there will be MUCH more waste .

Cheers

I can only imagine the amount of people who would get sick doing this since the coolers in the room barely keep the drinks cold. I KNOW there would be someone out there who would grab a perishable food item, attempt to stuff it in the cooler (which is the equivalent of leaving it on the counter as far as temps go), then try to eat it in its bacteria laden state 5-6 hours later 🤮. The part of my brain that had food safety training pounded into it over the years is totally freaking out right now.

Edited by Falling_down

8 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Ok, you are probably responsible for what was discussed on another thread, "Fees for unplugging the heads at sea." 😬

That ultra smooth, thick, quadruple-ply, luxurious TP you smuggle is a high crime (banned substance) to clogging in some situations multiple deck sections in one flush (or attempted flush). 😮

As it makes it way on its journey from your stateroom, it expands and absorbs six times it own weight like the "Blob" and becomes a piece of terror, forcing many cruisers to abandon their rooms. 🏃‍♂️

Once they get the onboard x-ray machines converted to CATSCAN equipment, your TP will lament until you claim it at the "table of shame" at the end of the voyage. 😢

It all comes out in the end.

🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

That RCI monitors this forum/thread.

Just a suggestion, if you work for/with RCCL you can check with their Social Media team and report back. There is a high interest in these boards and other/similar social media sites. I am not going to divulge how I know this.  

3 minutes ago, Falling_down said:

I can only imagine the amount of people who would get sick doing this since the coolers in the room barely keep the drinks cold. I KNOW there would be someone out there who would grab a perishable food item, attempt to stuff it in the cooler (which is the equivalent of leaving it on the counter as far as temps go), then try to eat it in its bacteria laden state 5-6 hours later 🤮. The part of my brain that had food safety training pounded into it over the years is totally freaking out right now.

I was thinking the same thing. Taking some fruit, cookies or packaged items might be a good idea but a plate full of dinner (which would not fit in the small fridge to begin with) is a recipe for a gastrointestinal disaster. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Cayman1 said:

If they were to charge for pizza, imagine what it would do to the lines, that are already long. They would have to swipe your card and have everyone sign their receipt before going on to the next customer. Lines would triple in size, if not more.

For those who have cruised Carnival, you could go to the main dining room faster than you could get pizza, if they were to start charging. They have the longest pizza lines in the industry.

Still extremely disheartening that they are even asking this on a survey. And whoever approved this to be a survey question to begin with should be fired. Pure GREED!

No ... they would not . You seem to think everyone eating it now will continue to do so . I believe the good majority will just keep on walkin by ,and those that will pay for it will definitely frequent the establishment a lot less !

JMHO

Cheers

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

No ... they would not . You seem to think everyone eating it now will continue to do so . I believe the good majority will just keep on walkin by ,and those that will pay for it will definitely frequent the establishment a lot less !

JMHO

Cheers

Good point... and I would agree.

Honestly, I wouldn't even bother cruising with Royal if this were to ever happen.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cayman1 said:

…Pure GREED!

I understand they need to recoup what they lost during covid, but they are trying to do it to fast with all the cuts. I think they will become the bottom of the barrel cruise line if they keep it up. As for the lines getting longer, not going to happen. Too many people will stop going there.

28 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

…Think about how absurd, pathetic, and downright stupid Royal is forcing customers to think about workarounds on a multi-thousand dollar vacation because they want to make more revenue off their $2 pizzas… 

Their pizzas are worth about 2.00 for a whole pizza and I wouldn’t even pay that.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Ok, you are probably responsible for what was discussed on another thread, "Fees for unplugging the heads at sea." 😬

That ultra smooth, thick, quadruple-ply, luxurious TP you smuggle is a high crime (banned substance) to clogging in some situations multiple deck sections in one flush (or attempted flush). 😮

As it makes it way on its journey from your stateroom, it expands and absorbs six times it own weight like the "Blob" and becomes a piece of terror, forcing many cruisers to abandon their rooms. 🏃‍♂️

Once they get the onboard x-ray machines converted to CATSCAN equipment, your TP will lament until you claim it at the "table of shame" at the end of the voyage. 😢

It all comes out in the end.

🤣

No, this is wrong information, the "ultra smooth, thick, quadruple-ply, luxurious TP" breaks down in exactly the same way that the single ply garbage they provide does. The "blob" it forms actually helps the system operate at greater efficiency.  This has been confirmed time and time again on these boards by the chief, and was even asked at a Captains call a few years back.

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 2

I wouldn't necessarily stop cruising RCI over this change, but I do always look at the overall cost of a trip and the more freedom I get with price inclusion is a factor.  If RCI and another line are about the same price and the other line offers more included in that price, I'm more inclined to buy from that other line.  Of course, there's a lot to consider; age of ship, itinerary, quality of service, etc.  I'd say, it's all a factor, but cost is very important. 

It's also worth noting that land based trips appear to be going downward in cost, so they need to be careful pushing price increases, not all vacations have to be cruises.

Probably the most most important thing to note is that IF they were were to start charging at Sorrentos, it could cost them much more money elsewhere.  Pizza is probably one of the most economical foods to make.  Start charging for it and you might push people to more costly free options.  Anything you gain by charging a bit, you might lose by having someone eat a steak instead of a slice of pizza.  Probably not the smartest thing to start charging for.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Cayman1 said:

Good point... and I would agree.

Honestly, I wouldn't even bother cruising with Royal if this were to ever happen.

Each new "slice" to the standard we have come to expect , cuts a little deeper for sure !

I am not at the point to say anything is stopping me yet , as there is an addiction at play here ,but I am a rational person so things will still have to make sense in the end game 

55 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

That’s a new one on me. Hope I never cruise in a cabin near you since that stuff can wreck havoc on the lines and clog them. 

19 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Maybe because I'm solo, and have all the obc to spend by myself I feel differently….

I still wouldn’t pay for their specialty dining. At times we’ve had obc and we bought liquor. I’d rather take that home than pay for specialty food. I know you don’t drink much, but it’s a good way to bring home a really nice bottle of something.

Just now, ace2542 said:

I am not surprised they are considering charging. They do use a hell of a lot of cheese and other ingridents and a hell of lot of power in those ovens. I have seen 3 full pizzas gone in 10 minutes on Anthem.

At busy times, they are gone as fast as they can serve them.

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

We don't do much specialty dining. Usually one actual specialty meal per cruise and we now go to Playmakers after trying it on Indy last year and loving it. The $9 burgers are now $12.99 but we'll live.

I'll eat anything and my wife doesn't need fine dining but she is very picky so it's more for her (although I do think the food there is very good). Happy wife...

LOL, we do specialty dining every night because it is a perk.  The only restaurant we don't go to is Izumi.  We don't eat bait LOL, although, I may try one of the non-seafood rolls one day.  Wonderland is a restaurant we will go to but it's not a priority, too fufu for us. I do love Hibachi, Chops, and Italian restaurants.  On cruises that we aren't Star, the WJ is fine.  

8 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I am not surprised they are considering charging. They do use a hell of a lot of cheese and other ingridents and a hell of lot of power in those ovens. I have seen 3 full pizzas gone in 10 minutes on Anthem.

That definitely isn’t the best cheese and doesn’t have the price of cheese I would eat at home. As for the electricity the ovens use, it would be no different than an oven in the WJ cooking pizza.

20 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

That’s a new one on me. Hope I never cruise in a cabin near you since that stuff can wreck havoc on the lines and clog them. 

Source? As far as I have ever seen, any paper based TP is fine for cruise ship systems. I know for small marine based systems they do use easily broken down TP, but these are not the same systems in cruise ships.