Celebrity home porting at Port Canaveral in Dec 2024

Jeremiah1212

3 hours ago, nich3cats said:

I have been a big fan of Celebrity cruise lines but I think they should now be renamed Caribbean cruise line. 

Or Royalebrity. But I do like the idea of another Florida departure port for Celebrity.

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/17/2023 at 3:34 AM, Cap_D said:

Agree.  No reason to fly into MCO and drive to a cruise port, when FLL and MIA are closer their respective cruise ports, plus West Palm is another option.  Hard to envision a family with kids or a couple paying for airfare and transport from MCO and to go on a non-Edge class ship.  And, families with kids flying would migrate to the CocoCay itineraries or just skip Celebrity.  Plus younger couples are not going to be impressed with an older ship, no modern quick service concepts, cutbacks, etc. 

Port Canaveral is serviced by 3 airports Sandford, Melbourne, and Orlando.  The drive from airport in FLL can be 45 with traffic with heavy traffic.  The commute to Port Canaveral  from MCO is 40 minute and an easy drive with usually no traffic tie ups.  MCO also is a ticket to the world.  All that drive to a cruise generally hate driving to Port everglades and Miami, traffic is a nightmare after Palm Beach Gardens.  Many may not know that Port Canaveral is the worlds busiest port.  The port now has NCL, Disney, Carnival, Royal, Princess, and MSC. Celebrity needed a presents.to remain competitive. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2023 at 6:38 PM, cruise wizard said:

There sure is a bunch of us "Seniors" here in Florida - it is still a huge cruising segment to ignore. I cannot believe all of the new construction for single family homes, apartments, condo's and duplex developments............quite a few 55 and older. 

We moved to Florida 30 years ago and you are correct, new construction going on everywhere. I-75 south of Tampa was only 2 lanes in each direction now it’s 3 lanes and in some sports 4 lanes and around Sarasota they could use 5. That being said we wouldn’t live anywhere else plus it’s so easy to hop on a cruise ship.

Edited by MISTER 67

12 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

We moved to Florida 30 years ago and you are correct, new construction going on everywhere. I-75 south of Tampa was only 2 lanes in each direction now it’s 3 lanes and in some sports 4 lanes and around Sarasota they could use 5. That being said we wouldn’t live anywhere else plus it’s so easy to hop on a cruise ship.

Sounds like both coasts are growing. Our I-95 can be a parking lot South of West Palm Beach. Seems like the highways are always being widened. We moved 9+ years ago - best move that we ever made - just love our State, our local area and of course just wearing shorts, t-shirts and sandals year round. We enjoy calling my SIL when she is getting below zero temps, snow and ice storms!!!!

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

We moved to Florida 30 years ago and you are correct...

That being said we wouldn’t live anywhere else plus it’s so easy to hop on a cruise ship.

There are a couple of drawbacks -- our homeowner's insurance for our current place started at $4k/yr in '18/19. This year it's going up by $10k, to $21k (w/no claims). Darn, perhaps I should have "gouged them" for a new roof after a hailstorm a couple of years ago, as now they're gouging me !!!

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this 5 minute video in the Wall Street Journal last month and thought it was interesting enough to share here.  Much of it describes how Wonder of the Seas docks at Port Canaveral (answer: very carefully):

Captain Explains How He Docks the World's Biggest Cruise Ship 

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2023 at 10:39 PM, flvol77 said:

MCO is 45 mins to PC 

We live right by MCO - it's an easy drive 

Also if anyone is looking to stay in Orlando, stay in Lake Nona, highly recommend the Wave Hotel 

We live in this area and yes, that is one great hotel!