Princess Plus worth the money?

nursemom23

3 minutes ago, HMSDingy said:

I re-calculated and Plus might just work for us. As I've stated before, we always have a bottle of wine at dinner and pre-dinner cocktails along with a drink or two in the evenings. If I'm allowed to pick up wine at all of the ports, then all I would have to pay is the corkage fee. But even at that, I'll probably pass the $2400 we would pay for a 20 day cruise. Correct me if I'm wrong, and my new calculations don't even include wi-fi and the extras, but my calculations would be:

CA = 32/day x 20 = $640

corkage on 20 bottles of wine = 20 x $20 = $400

drinks = ~6/day @$15 = $90 x 20 = $1800

Total = $2840

I also may not always pick up bottles ashore and that would raise the amount close to $3000. 

where is the cost and the hassle of bringing 20 bottles of wine onboard?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JGmf said:

If the intent is to drive people to the Premier package just for casual dining, then it's better to just pay a la carte for those one-off instances you really want to eat at those locations.

Yeah, $20 extra/day vs. $14.99… 🤔 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

where is the cost and the hassle of bringing 20 bottles of wine onboard?

Not really a hassle but you're right about the cost. The Plus gives me a 25% off on wine per bottle even at that. it may be more expensive. I would calculate $1000 for the wine based on an average price of $50 per bottle x 20 days, plus CA and maybe 4 drinks per day @$15 for $60 x 20 = $1200, which gives me the same total. With Plus, I would have to add on the cost of wine and at 25% less, about $750 to add on to the $2400.

2 hours ago, HMSDingy said:

Not really a hassle but you're right about the cost. The Plus gives me a 25% off on wine per bottle even at that. it may be more expensive. I would calculate $1000 for the wine based on an average price of $50 per bottle x 20 days, plus CA and maybe 4 drinks per day @$15 for $60 x 20 = $1200, which gives me the same total. With Plus, I would have to add on the cost of wine and at 25% less, about $750 to add on to the $2400.

And it includes tips and wifi

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

And it includes tips and wifi

It includes the Plus Beverage Package which right there will save us on our cocktails and drinks as well as beer for myself. I think in the end, it will work for us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HMSDingy said:

Yes, you do need to factor in the cost of the wine you are buying.  IDK your voyage itinerary, but bringing a couple of bottles back on per port is not a big deal - as long you you didn't have to lug them around all day.  I don't normally count on adding much more wine at ports.  Depends.

Your math was fine - we just don't drink the 6 drinks per day and don't do through a bottle of wine per day.  I also don't need to spend $50/btl if acquiring it off the ship.  Another factor is if your dining habit is to get the same table and waiters for each night, you may find you are not charged corkage all the time.  Two bottles are free for the cabin, but once opened can also go to dinner. 

All that said, you are well within making the PLUS work for you.

4 minutes ago, HMSDingy said:

It includes the Plus Beverage Package which right there will save us on our cocktails and drinks as well as beer for myself. I think in the end, it will work for us.

Okay.  Enjoy!  Don't forget, you can buy it on board if having Medallions picked up at port works for you.  You will get a $10 rebate.  If you buy insurance, you save the insurance on the Plus cost.  OBC will cover at least some of the Plus cost.

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, you do need to factor in the cost of the wine you are buying.  IDK your voyage itinerary, but bringing a couple of bottles back on per port is not a big deal - as long you you didn't have to lug them around all day.  I don't normally count on adding much more wine at ports.  Depends.

Your math was fine - we just don't drink the 6 drinks per day and don't do through a bottle of wine per day.  I also don't need to spend $50/btl if acquiring it off the ship.  Another factor is if your dining habit is to get the same table and waiters for each night, you may find you are not charged corkage all the time.  Two bottles are free for the cabin, but once opened can also go to dinner. 

All that said, you are well within making the PLUS work for you.

Okay.  Enjoy!  Don't forget, you can buy it on board if having Medallions picked up at port works for you.  You will get a $10 rebate.  If you buy insurance, you save the insurance on the Plus cost.  OBC will cover at least some of the Plus cost.

I should have looked at what we get with the Plus Beverage Package which is included and there are a lot of items that we would normally buy like the specialty coffees and teas, to name a few. I'll probably just add it our our cruise fare seeing that Princess has a favourable CAD to US exchange rate.I also forgot to factor in the 18% gratuities for the drinks and wine we purchase.  All told, what we would spend vs the Plus, the Plus comes up on top because of the extras. In any case, our cruise is in August of 2024 we still have plenty of time to mull it over.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, HMSDingy said:

I should have looked at what we get with the Plus Beverage Package which is included and there are a lot of items that we would normally buy like the specialty coffees and teas, to name a few. I'll probably just add it our our cruise fare seeing that Princess has a favourable CAD to US exchange rate.I also forgot to factor in the 18% gratuities for the drinks and wine we purchase.  All told, what we would spend vs the Plus, the Plus comes up on top because of the extras. In any case, our cruise is in August of 2024 we still have plenty of time to mull it over.

I thought maybe you had built in the 18% and rounded up.  Of course it all depends on how expensive a drink you order and how expensive a bottle of wine you order.  Recently the 1.35 rate was not good as CAD was more like 1.30/1.31, but the CAD has slid yet again.  Sadly, we have poor economic situation right now.

4 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I thought maybe you had built in the 18% and rounded up.  Of course it all depends on how expensive a drink you order and how expensive a bottle of wine you order.  Recently the 1.35 rate was not good as CAD was more like 1.30/1.31, but the CAD has slid yet again.  Sadly, we have poor economic situation right now.

The red wines I've seen on recent posted wine lists average $45 to $50 per bottle and cocktails also average at $10. According to my calculations for alcoholic beverages including wine, I'd be paying around $400 just for tips. Factoring this added expense, I'd be paying less for the Plus and also getting more. I bought US just a week ago and paid $1.38. 

Edited by HMSDingy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It was  worth it previously for us if we did not want wifi but now it's $20 aud corkage that changed the math completely. As we in oz do not pay tips on carnival group cruises

Edited by windsor26

1 hour ago, windsor26 said:

It was  worth it previously for us if we did not want wifi but now it's $20 aud corkage that changed the math completely. As we in Oz do not pay tips on carnival group cruises

You actually do.  It's just hidden by being baked into cruise fares and into bar pricing.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 11:08 PM, Steelers36 said:

Following up, here is a math example for someone like us who don't spend much on bar and other things. 

Another big factor for us is that we get a free mini-bar in the cabin due to being Elite and that gives me 10 beers and 10 Perrier (after swapping items).  So, you can see this is a beverage supply at no cost.

I'll be elite Starting my April 2024 cruise, so I like the idea of the 10 beers in the mini fridge. The only problem I see is every time I want a beer I have to go back to my room to get it.  

• Haha 1

On 8/15/2023 at 8:12 PM, nursemom23 said:

First time cruiser on Princess. Would love to hear your thoughts on whether or not Princess Plus is worth purchasing? Thanks!

My wife and I appreciated having the Premier Beverage Package very much.  She and I each drink 4-5 cups of coffee a day, not including the Café Mocha or Cappuccino we enjoy from time to time.

We also drink a couple of beers with lunch, or a soda.

Where the Premier Beverage Package really paid off for us was for liquor and wine.  We enjoy a couple of drinks before dinner, and usually, we had a glass of wine with dinner.  We also had a drink of two during the evening, as well.

The Premier Beverage Package allowed us to get premium brands of bourbon, scotch and gin that we would not be able to get, even at home, otherwise.  The $20 and under allowance per drink helped with this very much.

This all worked for us, but if you are not a person who is looking to drink high-end cocktails, more than the average amount of coffee each day, specialty drinks from Good Spirits at Sea, the Premier Beverage Package may deserve a second thought.

By the way, the bar waiters and those at the International Cage and in the restaurants, all knew were had the Premier Package, just from “reading” our medallions.

• Like 2

We seldom drink, get half off our wifi, & have only one device on our cruises. We would both have to have the pkg. So- on our upcoming 26 day cruise, after factoring in our grats & wifi,  it would cost us an additional $2093 for the plus, an additional $3133 for the premier. I think for cruisers who enjoy wine with dinner, like cocktails before dinner, a nightcap, like a few drinks or specialty coffees daily, it can be worth the extra cost. For cruisers like DH & I it isn't cost effective. There's no blanket answer to is it worth it. It totally depends on the individual. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Isn't that for your DW to do? 🤣

Not taking any offense and in the past if something was left in the cabin, we would take turns retrieving it. However, I am now sailing solo. My DW of 42 years passed away from cancer in 2021. Again, no offense since most folks don't know. 

1 minute ago, 1965 said:

We seldom drink, get half off our wifi, & have only one device on our cruises. We would both have to have the pkg. So- on our upcoming 26 day cruise, after factoring in our grats & wifi,  it would cost us an additional $2093 for the plus, an additional $3133 for the premier. I think for cruisers who enjoy wine with dinner, like cocktails before dinner, a nightcap, like a few drinks or specialty coffees daily, it can be worth the extra cost. For cruisers like DH & I it isn't cost effective. There's no blanket answer to is it worth it. It totally depends on the individual. 

Exactly. You have to look at the cost and decide if the cost equals the return. Even looking at port days if you know you will get your monies worth then it is a good purchase. You have to do your homework.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, HMSDingy said:

The red wines I've seen on recent posted wine lists average $45 to $50 per bottle and cocktails also average at $10. According to my calculations for alcoholic beverages including wine, I'd be paying around $400 just for tips. Factoring this added expense, I'd be paying less for the Plus and also getting more. I bought US just a week ago and paid $1.38. 

What would that red wine cost if you bought it at a large discount wine store - maybe $15 - $20 dollars.  Even adding the corkage you come out behind with the plus plan.  

DON

27 minutes ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

My wife and I appreciated having the Premier Beverage Package very much.  She and I each drink 4-5 cups of coffee a day, not including the Café Mocha or Cappuccino we enjoy from time to time.

We also drink a couple of beers with lunch, or a soda.

Where the Premier Beverage Package really paid off for us was for liquor and wine.  We enjoy a couple of drinks before dinner, and usually, we had a glass of wine with dinner.  We also had a drink of two during the evening, as well.

The Premier Beverage Package allowed us to get premium brands of bourbon, scotch and gin that we would not be able to get, even at home, otherwise.  The $20 and under allowance per drink helped with this very much.

This all worked for us, but if you are not a person who is looking to drink high-end cocktails, more than the average amount of coffee each day, specialty drinks from Good Spirits at Sea, the Premier Beverage Package may deserve a second thought.

By the way, the bar waiters and those at the International Cage and in the restaurants, all knew were had the Premier Package, just from “reading” our medallions.

On my last 4 cruises all the specials at Good Spirits were covered by the plus package. I drink Woodford Reserve or Buffalo Trace bourbon and my wife likes Grey Goose vodka. Again we take the plus package because there is really nothing extra the premier package has that would be worth the extra cash on our 20+ day cruises

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

What would that red wine cost if you bought it at a large discount wine store - maybe $15 - $20 dollars.  Even adding the corkage you come out behind with the plus plan.  

DON

It’s kind of a drag bringing a case on board paying the corkage and running back to the cabin all the time to get a fresh glass 

3 hours ago, 1965 said:

So- on our upcoming 26 day cruise, after factoring in our grats & wifi,  it would cost us an additional $2093 for the plus, an additional $3133 for the premier.

And that's no chicken feed. 🐔

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

Not taking any offense and in the past if something was left in the cabin, we would take turns retrieving it. However, I am now sailing solo. My DW of 42 years passed away from cancer in 2021. Again, no offense since most folks don't know. 

Sorry to hear that.  Just trying to inject some humor to counterbalance a bit of the negativity that is prevalent on the boards.

• Like 1