Well here I go... just got off the Explorer

47 minutes ago, Vibe said:

For those that are going to remove their automatic tips:

You should let your cabin steward know that you will tip them in cash because they are informed who removes the automatic tips.

You don’t want your cabin steward to think you are going to stiff them and their assistants who work behind the scenes and get so upset that they mistakenly use your toothbrush to clean the toilet.

No they are not informed.

Proof? No. Because it's not true.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2023 at 6:26 PM, nferr said:

Of course it eventually does. Why do you think tips are rising to close to $20 per person per day? Those who do pay are paying more and more to make up for all those who choose not to tip at all. Especially since it makes up a good part of what cruise members earn. 

Personally, I would rather they just make it mandatory included in the cruise fare, instead of it costing hundreds of dollars for those who choose to continue to pay it. Spread it out fairly. 

yes, make it mandatory. Correct me if I am wrong, but whenever purchasing specialty dining and the drink package, are those tips removable? I have thought not in the past but I never remove my tips so I am unsure. I feel like if the tips cannot be removed from specialty dining/drinks, they shouldn't be able to be removed from the room. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I don't think the 18% mark up on the drink packages and/or the dining packages go to the bartenders or wait staff. This mark up & the 'gratuities' on purchased items are nothing but revenue streams for RCL. Given the option, I'd opt out on them as well. LOL 

oh ok, given the option, you'd stiff everyone, got it. You sound like a great person to be around. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

yes, make it mandatory. Correct me if I am wrong, but whenever purchasing specialty dining and the drink package, are those tips removable? I have thought not in the past but I never remove my tips so I am unsure. I feel like if the tips cannot be removed from specialty dining/drinks, they shouldn't be able to be removed from the room. 

They don't allow you to remove dine and drink tips. The other they do. It's all because of what they (Royal) take/keep from it. Clearly there are reasons that involve what's in it for them. 

Just now, Goodtime Cruizin said:

🤣

My waitstaff, room attendants, and especially bar tenders think I'm especially great & love me. 

Yes, I am sure they do. but just an FYI, most of the bartenders pool their tips so you better double check to make sure they stick those dollar bills in their pockets instead of in the tip jar because god forbid some of that money go to someone else on the bartender staff, like the dishwasher. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aubreyc1988 said:

Yes, I am sure they do. but just an FYI, most of the bartenders pool their tips so you better double check to make sure they stick those dollar bills in their pockets instead of in the tip jar because god forbid some of that money go to someone else on the bartender staff, like the dishwasher. 

I've never worked anywhere in my life where dishwasher got a cut of the tips. Why care on a cruise. Let them get a paycheck.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

Once I hand it off it's their money and they can do whatever they wish w/ it. 

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

It isn't about being overly generous. It's about relationships. And over a few hours of dinner, or a week of someone serving me drinks, I do what I can to take take care of them and show them my appreciation and love for their work toward me & my family. It isn't anything big and as nasty as a few of you want it to be. It's my money. It's my choice. I'm not cancelling your option. Hell, I don't even care what you do. But if your bleeding heart feels so damn bad about it, pay double gratuities on your next cruise. 

No thanks. I just pay my fair share. Unlike others. But you do you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

We are all paying our fair share. You choose to allow the cruise line to tell you what your share is; many of us are quite capable of thinking for ourselves.

Nobody said elsewise mister internet.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Yes, you said “elsewise” 

You can pay what you want. That's the current system. I just find it funny when people act like it's not to save money.  After this I'm done with this topic because no one is going to change their mind. My entire point was just roll the charges into the port charges and "fee" area to spread them around. 

• Like 1

Wow, I haven't been on the boards for ages. I hit the jack pot tonight when I logged on. 

I am not understanding the tip thing. I would appreciate it if you can elaborate. We have been to Europe before and tips were included in pricing in restaurants.

Would love to know what you did in the ports as we have the Explorer October 1st. We prefer the smaller ships as we don't need the bells and whistles with the newer ships.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Driftwoodgal said:

Wow, I haven't been on the boards for ages. I hit the jack pot tonight when I logged on. 

I am not understanding the tip thing. I would appreciate it if you can elaborate. We have been to Europe before and tips were included in pricing in restaurants.

Would love to know what you did in the ports as we have the Explorer October 1st. We prefer the smaller ships as we don't need the bells and whistles with the newer ships.

Welcome Back!

We visited Kotor, Corfu, Atehns, Mykonos, & Argostolli.

TBH, I'm really tired of discussing the tipping thing. But there is plenty for you to review in this thread though!

I really hope you enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rob-Bob said:

Sorry RyderJ201. Okay aubreyc1988 - how do you know how many people are removing auto tips?

I think I have it right this time? 

No one knows for sure.  The assumption is often made that the long lines at the purser's desk on the last day of the cruise is filled with those removing tips.

It's the case, however, that many are looking for different luggage tags, taking care of billing differences, etc., etc..

I don't know either but my hope is that those who remove tips are few and far between.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

@Goodtime Cruizin I can’t remember if I said it yet, thanks for your feedback and welcome back to cruizin.

Thanks buddy. It's good to be back at it again to be honest.  Although I must say, it was a bit different. But still fun and enjoyable. RCL cancelled 3 cruises, we cancelled 1... and after 4 tries, we got the Greek Isles done. I think we're done w/ Europe now. The time and aggravation of traveling to get on a ship literally wore us out. Our next cruise is out of our home port of Galveston and w/ the new port, the big girls can come in now. 

One hour drive to the Harmony in a couple of months. Ez Pz. 

• Like 4

Gratuity removers. In 2019, I was told figures by someone who would know, but those number might have changed substantially????   Will say that the reported percentage of "removers" on the West coast cruises was way less than the percentage from Florida.