Well here I go... just got off the Explorer

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No, because most places any more, won’t clean for a few days. 

We stayed at a very nice “resort” hotel in the Orlando area this summer. We were there 5 days; we never saw housekeeping. We retrieved spare towels and toiletries from the front desk 

Makes sense.  Over the last few months we have had daily housekeeping and daily if requested. Earlier in the year and last year it was not once during a stay. Towels from the front desk, like you noted.

6 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Out of curoisty, when staying at a land-based hotel, do you seek out the person that does laundry to tip them? Or the person cleaning the bathrooms in the lobby or the person cleaning the pool? I leave a tip in my room for the housekeeper & that's all. I'm pretty sure it doesn't get shared with the "behind the scenes" people that enhance my hotel experience.

After all, a cruise ship is nothing more than a floating hotel.

For the record, I leave auto-grats in place. But I would never flame anyone for choosing to tip differently, especially since Royal gives them that choice. After all, it's their cruise, their experience and more importantly, their money to spend.

Makes sense except it's not a land based hotel which has to follow US employment laws and minimum salaries. I'd like to see a hotel that employs the number of workers per customer as a cruise ship.

10 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Those who wash the sheets your cabin attendant changes for you... the list is quite long.

Thinking only the handful of crew members you interact with directly are the only ones doing anything for you is just ignorant.

No not ignorant. I just don't care. I'm not paying for every employee. The person who serves you food is not the only one who does for you in a restaurant. Do you run around worrying and tipping them? What about the guy who cleans the floors at night? Where does it end? You tip the laundry service the hotel uses? Lame duck argument my friend 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, notscb said:

This is truly a logical fallacy. The jobs that are tipped clearly need to be done by someone and the jobs that aren't tipped also need doing. It's not about skill level or education, it's about a role needing to be filled- or everyone on these boards would be screaming about something not being available or getting done on their vacation. I agree with you- Royal should just pay everyone what they deserve. The reality is that they probably market tested this already and most people would rather pay a low fare up front and come in with a "fresh wallet" for the other stuff.

Low fare upfront is the only fallacy that I'm seeing.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Makes sense.  Over the last few months we have had daily housekeeping and daily if requested. Earlier in the year and last year it was not once during a stay. Towels from the front desk, like you noted.

Did the hotel tip you for doing cabin service?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

See Mike there is no legit argument.

We don't tip/subsidize laundry staff in hotels. We don't tip/subsidize cleaning staff in restaurants. We don't tip/ subsidize the handyman in bars. Desk clerks at check in (both airport and hotel) flight attendants, the baggage handlers at the airport, Etc, etc, etc.

Why should it become our problem on a ship? Just because? That's not good enough for me. 

If you argue there are people who serve you that you don't come in contact with, you will literally be tipping everyone.

The behind the scenes people argument just doesn't fly with some of us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, RyderJ201 said:

"Other Hotel Services". LOL.

Tip the people who serve you in cash and remove the automatic gratuities AKA Other Hotel Services.

Why do want to screw the behind the scene personal. Tough job being a dish washer, laundry worker, and all the servers in the Windjammer, dog house, loco fresh, the poor slob serving ice cream outside all day and the GS crew. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Why do want to screw the behind the scene personal. Tough job being a dish washer, laundry worker, and all the servers in the Windjammer, dog house, loco fresh, the poor slob serving ice cream outside all day and the GS crew. 

You say screw. I say not my problem to tip everyone. Let them get paid better or find other jobs.

Why do you want to screw the hard working low paid Walmart workers by not tipping them? Maybe because we can't afford and shouldn't have to tip everyone.

Again, do you tip laundry people at a hotel?

Do you tip for a hot dog at a fast food place?

How and why should all of them be my problem? Just because you say so?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/16/2023 at 6:40 PM, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Try as they might, the staff, the kitchen, and the dining rooms just can't handle it any longer. ...  the MTD line w/ reservations had a line of 150+ at 9:05pm. 

We were on Explorer last fall, and MTD worked well.  We waited about 10 minutes one night; the other nights we were admitted essentially immediately.  Two thoughts on this: 

- We only sail in the fall, when crowds are smaller.  This makes a difference. 

- They took people with reservations in right away (even if you were a little early or a little late), but people without MTD reservations were waiting.  Not in huge lines.  

On 8/16/2023 at 6:40 PM, Goodtime Cruizin said:

2. Turn down service at night was greatly missed. Paying $16/day/person for room service is crap

Agree that loss of the second cabin service ... combined with an increase in tips is crap.  

On 8/16/2023 at 11:52 PM, villageidit said:

We did traditional dining at 5:30 to avoid the waits and my wife loves having the same waiters every night. The two we had on Explorer were outstanding. 

I've never understood the obsession with having the same wait staff each evening.  I'm not all that into someone remembering my drink order. 

Regardless, we did have the same waiters every night on Explorer with MTD.  On the first night, they were very anxious to "book us" for the rest of the cruise.  I wondered if it had to do with how their tips are allocated?  

19 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Up to $4000 for a over the water cabana at Coco Cay for a few hours

Admittedly, one person's experience is not the same as data -- but I saw a lot of EMPTY day beds and cabanas when we were at Coco Cay.  

I am concerned that they're building more and more of these for-cost spaces.  I hope they'll leave adequate space for those of us who want to sit in the free seats; after all, we have paid our ticket price and port taxes, and we deserve space too.  

18 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

How did gratuities increase and service decrease?  How does this work?

Daily gratuities went up. 

Cabin service went from twice a day to once a day.  

15 hours ago, little britain said:

I assume Other Hotel Services covers the girls who have to clean the public toilets, the guys who fold the towels for the attendants etc so I’ll be leaving my auto tips in place thank you very much. 

Yes, I'll "play the game" and leave auto tips in place.  I don't particularly like the system, but I'm not going to "stick it to the little guy" by withholding tips. 

I'm rather amazed at people who brag about doing this.  

11 hours ago, Tatka said:

If people cannot/won't pay prices will come down. It is always like this. Simple.

Personally, I think we're in a weird "cruise price bubble" right now.  We're still in early days recovering from the pandemic, and that's affecting us in a couple ways: 

- People didn't travel for a while, and now they want to make up for it.  You can't blame the cruise lines for wanting to make hay while the sun shines.  You could say that, at the moment, it's a seller's market.

- The cruise lines do have debt to make up. 

- I don't think this'll last.  Prices may not go back to what they were pre-pandemic (or, if they do, we may get less for that price), but -- as time passes and things revert to what they were -- competition between lines will bring prices down. 

8 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

They really need to quit calling them gratuities/tips when they are actually salary subsidizes.  Not just on cruises, but throughout the service industry.

Agree, but it'll never happen.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yes, I'll "play the game" and leave auto tips in place.  I don't particularly like the system, but I'm not going to "stick it to the little guy" by withholding tips. 

I'm rather amazed at people who brag about doing this.  

I don't like "playing the game" nor do I see it as sticking it to the little guy to tip in cash to those that directly serve me. I'm the little guy as well. I don't make six figures. Really scrape to go anyplace. But the buck has to stop somewhere. I took $600 in small bills for tips on my last trip. The people I did tip made out very well. Just doing automatic gratuities would have cost me about $230. But I know every cent I gave went directly in someone's hand. I've read Royal take a pecent for collecting and doling out tip money. I made a difference, only on individual basis with a limited number of people. And I am 100% fine with that. Truth be told I swore to keep my tips to $400 but was very pleased with those who served me. Nobody should be told what or who to tip. I do what I feel is fair for the workers and myself. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

So I always say to myself, don't get drawn into 'tipping' arguments, but here's my two penny's worth.

We always leave the suggested gratuities in place and usually tip extra at the end of a cruise to room attendant, and our waiters. 

But I don't understand why people regularly talk about tipping the bar staff on top of the 18% they already get. Even a $ a drink makes the gratuities almost 30% for maybe just taking off the cap off a bottle of beer or sloshing out some wine from an already opened bottle. The only time we tip bar staff, is for our diamond drinks.

And why is there gratuities on stuff you buy in their shops?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

So I always say to myself, don't get drawn into 'tipping' arguments, but here's my two penny's worth.

We always leave the suggested gratuities in place and usually tip extra at the end of a cruise to room attendant, and our waiters. 

But I don't understand why people regularly talk about tipping the bar staff on top of the 18% they already get. Even a $ a drink makes the gratuities almost 30% for maybe just taking off the cap off a bottle of beer or sloshing out some wine from an already opened bottle. The only time we tip bar staff, is for our diamond drinks.

And why is there gratuities on stuff you buy in their shops?

I don't think the 18% mark up on the drink packages and/or the dining packages go to the bartenders or wait staff. This mark up & the 'gratuities' on purchased items are nothing but revenue streams for RCL. Given the option, I'd opt out on them as well. LOL 

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Nope. Just my thoughts. You got any proof that it actually goes to them & how much? 

I'm not making the allegation that RCCL is being deceitful.  The ball is in your court but you have already confirmed you have no proof.

3 minutes ago, yogimax said:

I'm not making the allegation that RCCL is being deceitful.  The ball is in your court but you have already confirmed you have no proof.

You mad?

Look, I aint playing ball w/ you or anybody else. I believe what I believe and I'm entitled to do so. You do the same. Go on and keep giving that $16/per/day or whatever you pay. I have no problem with it. I seriously don't care. I'll use the opt out that Royal allows and issue tips where I see fit. 

Move along now.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, RyderJ201 said:

I've read Royal take a pecent for collecting and doling out tip money. 

Of course you cant document this. You heard it from joe blow and after all it was on the internet so you post it as if it were true. 

I dont care who you tip, just dont like rumors posted unless you know they are true or not. If its true post a link .

54 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Of course you cant document this. You heard it from joe blow and after all it was on the internet so you post it as if it were true. 

I dont care who you tip, just dont like rumors posted unless you know they are true or not. If its true post a link .

And nobody can post anything that proves how much of the 18% goes where and to who either. And if you really don't care, have some self restraint & just move on. Or just put him and anyone else that triggers you on ignore.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Move along now.

.., and I prefer to leave the tips in place knowing that removing them may very well hurt some hard working guy or gal who is sacrificing to provide some money to their families back home.  Sure, I'd rather save a few $$$ but not at the expense of someone who needs it a lot more than I do.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

And nobody can post anything that proves how much of the 18% goes where and to who either. And if you really don't care, have some self restraint & just move on. Or just put him and anyone else that triggers you on ignore.  

Because I questioned if rcl took a cut of tips .. you tell me I cant post and should run along because of something else you dont have a answer for no one but rcl knows. Triggered??  .. because I asked him for a link to his rumor he posted. As you just pointed out ... none of us knows. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yogimax said:

.., and I prefer to leave the tips in place knowing that removing them may very well hurt some hard working guy or gal who is sacrificing to provide some money to their families back home.  Sure, I'd rather save a few $$$ but not at the expense of someone who needs it a lot more than I do.

Good for you. But stop the guilt tripping. It's foolishness. You act as if removing the tips means someone is NOT tipping. I have not read any post on this thread that has stated as much. I certainly have NEVER said I would not tip. In fact, I've repeatedly said I will tip who I feel best deserves it.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Because I questioned if rcl took a cut of tips .. you tell me I cant post and should run along because of something else you dont have a answer for no one but rcl knows. Triggered??  .. because I asked him for a link to his rumor he posted. As you just pointed out ... none of us knows. 

No. Because you started by saying you didn't care, but then went a triggered trip. 

For those that are going to remove their automatic tips:

You should let your cabin steward know that you will tip them in cash because they are informed who removes the automatic tips.

You don’t want your cabin steward to think you are going to stiff them and their assistants who work behind the scenes and get so upset that they mistakenly use your toothbrush to clean the toilet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2