Well here I go... just got off the Explorer

The MTD has been an issue with lines for a while. It was Celebrity and not Royal but last year we were on the Connie. Their solution was you checked in a the hostess stand and instead of waiting in line for 30 min they gave you a pager so you could hams out in the nearby bars or seating areas.  It was a fantastic idea in my opinion. We went to the Martini bar every night waiting for our seating to be ready. 

• Like 1

Up to $4000 for a over the water cabana at Coco Cay for a few hours, $80,000 per week for the townhouse on Icon which is totally sold out for every sailing in 2024, doubling the cabin price for almost all cruises, 18% grat for almost everything you purchase on board. Royal is well on it's way back to profitability. 

• Like 4

On 8/16/2023 at 6:40 PM, Goodtime Cruizin said:

so I thought I'd share some thoughts. It was our first cruise since the pandemic hit so this will be a bit of comparison of what I liked and didn't like. And perhaps a comment or two on the different cruise eras. This is not a review on Royal overall but just my cruise and the Explorer.

What I didn't like.

1. I'll start w/ MTD. At one time it was really a great concept. Offering tables for hungry passengers that didn't want to eat early and didn't want to eat late. Well guess what ? It appears few want to eat early or late nowadays and most everyone wants to eat between 7:30-8:30pm.  Try as they might, the staff, the kitchen, and the dining rooms just can't handle it any longer. Perhaps it's all by design to move some passengers who grow frustrated to the specialty places. Who knows?  But it was bad pretty much all week. Night 3, as walked out of the Sapphire the MTD line w/ reservations had a line of 150+ at 9:05pm. Crazy man crazy. But I know, there will be a ton of comments on how things went perfect w/ them & MTD. Not so on this cruise.

2. Turn down service at night was greatly missed. Paying $16/day/person for room service is crap. That's another $112 to one's total cruise fare. Royal should adjust the rate properly at the sales point. Our cabin attendant had 14 cabins. She was golden. We gave her a nice tip. I'll get toasted for this but paying more for less is not good. Going forward and given the option, I'm removing my gratuities. I'll pay out the $32 daily to those that serve me directly. Those that don't need to be paid better by Royal via the cruise fares, not w/ a forced gratuity by me. Or they need to improve their skill sets and find ship jobs that gain them tips. Royal is already getting more money for the cruise fares these days and have less staff. 

3. Men's restrooms were not as clean as the past. In fact, I never saw an attendant once cleaning a men's room. And believe me at my age, it is frequently visited. Pool deck and Promenade decks are the most frequent used decks and I never once saw an attendant.

4. Bread. This is one area that is obvious in the MDR. And the same selections are not offered either.  

What I did like.

1.I loved the two dudes singing and playing the guitar at the entrance of the Windjammer. They actually enforced people to wash their hands. Each side offer 5 cleaning stations, w/ soap, sink and paper towels is good stuff. Singing "I'm leaving on a jet plane" on the last day was creative & entertaining.

2. As always, I enjoy the spirit of the bartenders and servers. In fact, we had our very best server at a Chops on this cruise that actually restored our confidence in Chops.

3. Speaking of bartenders.... I've read that some believe that the drinks are weaker for DBP holders and that is far from the reality. In fact, the drinks are open poured. They were good.

4. The shower heads in those Beam Me Up Scotty shower tubes...they're actually pretty damn good. I'm amazed at how good the showers feel. The flow of hot water is strong and I'm puzzled on how the ship keeps it going for so many people.

5. Lastly, not once was I handed a slip to sign to pursuade a tip. Not once. That was nice.

Everything is subjective from the food, menus, to the looks of the ship. By the way, despite washy washy before yummy yummy singing guys, we both got pretty sick day 7 and while traveling back to stateside. The covid tests came back as negagive but we're not so sure. We're staying away from all for awhile to be safe.

Goodimes I tell ya, Goodtimes!

Objective, fair and honest review.  Was your server in Chops G (Gopakumar)?  He was our waiter in May (as well as in many past cruises on Explorer) and by far the best we’ve ever had!  Glad you enjoyed your cruise!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Objective, fair and honest review.  Was your server in Chops G (Gopakumar)?  He was our waiter in May (as well as in many past cruises on Explorer) and by far the best we’ve ever had!  Glad you enjoyed your cruise!

It was Andrys, from Ukraine. He was especially happy the first night he served us as is wife got on the ship that day. She was to work in the Adventure Ocean program. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, yogimax said:

Thank you for your common sense response.  Of course, those of us who pay are subsidizing those who don't.  It's simple logic.

Like you, I think the tips should be mandatory and added to the basic cruise fare.  I'm sick and tired of paying for those who opt out.  My money should go to the hard working crew members, up front and behind the scenes, not to those who are looking for an easy discount to the cruise cost.

3 hours ago, little britain said:

I assume Other Hotel Services covers the girls who have to clean the public toilets, the guys who fold the towels for the attendants etc so I’ll be leaving my auto tips in place thank you very much. 

Out of curoisty, when staying at a land-based hotel, do you seek out the person that does laundry to tip them? Or the person cleaning the bathrooms in the lobby or the person cleaning the pool? I leave a tip in my room for the housekeeper & that's all. I'm pretty sure it doesn't get shared with the "behind the scenes" people that enhance my hotel experience.

After all, a cruise ship is nothing more than a floating hotel.

For the record, I leave auto-grats in place. But I would never flame anyone for choosing to tip differently, especially since Royal gives them that choice. After all, it's their cruise, their experience and more importantly, their money to spend.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

14 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Then quit building ships for a few years for Christ's sake. Look I get it. We all were hit. Some harder than others. But we also have dialed back a bit. And if one hasn't then good for them. But RCL hasn't dialed back anything except for product. 

I checked on the Next Cruise desk. I was quoted 10 day Rt trip out Galveston, 4 ports, 6 sea days on the Jewel. $6300 for a balcony. My God that is $630/night... on Jewel!!! Why? Something tells that the pandemic hurt them but I also believe they need cah to continue to pay for Icon. There is no way in this world I would pay $630/night for a balcony on the Jewel. Those that can... have at it.  I can get an all inclusive 5star resort in Aruba for less than that. 

You cannot stop something that was requested. (Icon was requested long time go). Besides more ships in a future lower prices (supply - demand).

If people cannot/won't pay prices will come down. It is always like this. Simple.

Edited by Tatka

13 hours ago, yogimax said:

Thank you for your common sense response.  Of course, those of us who pay are subsidizing those who don't.  It's simple logic.

Like you, I think the tips should be mandatory and added to the basic cruise fare.  I'm sick and tired of paying for those who opt out.  My money should go to the hard working crew members, up front and behind the scenes, not to those who are looking for an easy discount to the cruise cost.

We aren’t looking for a discount.

I pay my fare, taxes, and fees just like everyone else.

I reward, with a gratuity, those who serve me directly. The distribution of the gratuity is my choice not the choice of the cruise line. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

So.... I need to 'tip' a pool attendant that folds towels? Or the guy that cleans the public toilets? Perhaps at the end of my next cruise, go find the AC technician, tip him/her and thank them for my cold air at night. Come on. Their play is old, tired, and ridiculous these days.

I tip waiters.

I tip bartenders

I tip room attendants

I tip room service.

I'm kind to 'others' 

I'm polite to 'others' 

I'm courteous to 'others'

I say 'Thank you' quite often to all 'others.'

If Royal thinks 'others' need more income IMO...one of two things should happen for these 'other' Hotel Services. 

1. Royal needs to pay them more

2. Royal needs a program in place that they can learn the skills necessary to have a job next to a tip jar. 

HERE HERE!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Out of curoisty, when staying at a land-based hotel, do you seek out the person that does laundry to tip them? Or the person cleaning the bathrooms in the lobby or the person cleaning the pool? I leave a tip in my room for the housekeeper & that's all. I'm pretty sure it doesn't get shared with the "behind the scenes" people that enhance my hotel experience.

After all, a cruise ship is nothing more than a floating hotel.

For the record, I leave auto-grats in place. But I would never flame anyone for choosing to tip differently, especially since Royal gives them that choice. After all, it's their cruise, their experience and more importantly, their money to spend.

I no longer leave a tip in a land based hotel. 
Housekeeping doesn’t attend to the room until

I leave, so no tip is warranted IMO

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Tatka said:

They lost 22 bil from 2020 - 2022, plus inflation...

16 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

So they lost 22 billion yet they have no issues with building 3 new ships!!!!

The company gradually resumed its global cruise operations beginning in December 2020 in Singapore and June 2021 in the U.S. For the full year, the company reported US GAAP Net Loss of $(5.3) billion or $(20.89) per share compared to US GAAP Net Loss of $(5.8) billion or $(27.05) per share in the prior year. The company also reported Adjusted Net Loss of $(4.8) billion or $(19.19) per share for the full year 2021 compared to Adjusted Net Loss of $(3.9) billion or $(18.31) per share in the prior year. (2020)

Full Year 2022:

• Load Factors were 85% overall, full fleet back in operation since June of 2022.
  • Total revenues were $8.8 billion, Net Loss was $(2.2) billion or $(8.45) per share, Adjusted Net Loss was $(1.9) billion or $(7.50) per share, and Adjusted EBITDA was $711.6 million.

Adjusted Net loss was about 11.2 billion, not 22 billion. About the same as the debt they took on. By the time this year is over they will have beat their highest revenue by year by probably 20%, even after scrapping some ships. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am an Aussie, and we do not have the same tipping culture as in North America.

Thank goodness! 

I live in Toronto Canada, and find the tipping becoming a total joke!  You buy lunch take-away at the mall and the debit machine asks if you want to give a 20% tip!!  For what?  Dipping some food from the container onto a plastic plate and handing it to me?

If you own a business, pay your staff yourself!    You make the profit, and if its not enough profit, then get the hell out of that business!

If you own a business in Australia, it is your responsibility to pay your staff.

1:  Enough salary, so they do not leave your workplace,  and take a different job.  It is not up to your customers to pay your staff.  

After my last Cruise in May, I am really going to rethink the auto Grats I have always paid. 

So many things were below acceptable standard, starting with the very sad food in the buffet every single day.  The lack of choices in the MDR.  Royal dropped the standard of everything, and then also want me to pay their staff?

Royal should pay their staff a living wage themselves!  I understand that cruise  prices would go up.

I would prefer it.  

• Like 14

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I no longer leave a tip in a land based hotel. 
Housekeeping doesn’t attend to the room until

I leave, so no tip is warranted IMO

Curious, if you stay more than one night do you tip?

2 hours ago, RedIguana said:

The company gradually resumed its global cruise operations beginning in December 2020 in Singapore and June 2021 in the U.S. For the full year, the company reported US GAAP Net Loss of $(5.3) billion or $(20.89) per share compared to US GAAP Net Loss of $(5.8) billion or $(27.05) per share in the prior year. The company also reported Adjusted Net Loss of $(4.8) billion or $(19.19) per share for the full year 2021 compared to Adjusted Net Loss of $(3.9) billion or $(18.31) per share in the prior year. (2020)

Full Year 2022:

• Load Factors were 85% overall, full fleet back in operation since June of 2022.
  • Total revenues were $8.8 billion, Net Loss was $(2.2) billion or $(8.45) per share, Adjusted Net Loss was $(1.9) billion or $(7.50) per share, and Adjusted EBITDA was $711.6 million.

Adjusted Net loss was about 11.2 billion, not 22 billion. About the same as the debt they took on. By the time this year is over they will have beat their highest revenue by year by probably 20%, even after scrapping some ships. 

Thanks for all the detail. Highest revenue makes sense since they have managed to scrape the bottom of the barrel by saving money when it comes to product delivered on our June 30 Oasis sailing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Curious, if you stay more than one night do you tip?

No, because most places any more, won’t clean for a few days. 

We stayed at a very nice “resort” hotel in the Orlando area this summer. We were there 5 days; we never saw housekeeping. We retrieved spare towels and toiletries from the front desk 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Royal needs a program in place that they can learn the skills necessary to have a job next to a tip jar. 

This is truly a logical fallacy. The jobs that are tipped clearly need to be done by someone and the jobs that aren't tipped also need doing. It's not about skill level or education, it's about a role needing to be filled- or everyone on these boards would be screaming about something not being available or getting done on their vacation. I agree with you- Royal should just pay everyone what they deserve. The reality is that they probably market tested this already and most people would rather pay a low fare up front and come in with a "fresh wallet" for the other stuff.

4 minutes ago, notscb said:

This is truly a logical fallacy. The jobs that are tipped clearly need to be done by someone and the jobs that aren't tipped also need doing. It's not about skill level or education, it's about a role needing to be filled- or everyone on these boards would be screaming about something not being available or getting done on their vacation. I agree with you- Royal should just pay everyone what they deserve. The reality is that they probably market tested this already and most people would rather pay a low fare up front and come in with a "fresh wallet" for the other stuff.

The problem now is the first part of the equation (low fares) are rapidly disappearing; and that is having a direct impact on the second half of the equation. 

• Like 1