Tropical Storms in the Gulf!

14 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Fourth floor condo, so nothing I could have done if I stayed home. The power had even been restored by the time we got home. The perfect plan for us!

After dealing with our house for 20 years, a condo sounds good to me! Makes total sense. My BIL/SIL live over by you.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

I understand being concerned , but funny to me that you seem so convinced 9 days out that your cruise plans will have to change ....

Cheers.... and relax , worry when you need to

I'm not convinced, just asking the options I might have and the cruise line, if the worst happens.  I'm really convinced NOTHING will happen but a wonderful cruise!  Thanks for encouragement.

6 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

After dealing with our house for 20 years, a condo sounds good to me! Makes total sense. My BIL/SIL live over by you.

Our preparations for leaving on a cruise:  Turn thermostat up to 80, unplug coffee pot and air fryer, remove a battery from the motion sensor kitchen faucet, drop trash bag down the trash chute, and lock the door behind us. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I couldn't leave my house if I knew a major storm was about to hit it, none the less try to enjoy a cruise.

Good for you.  We leave for most major storms, and generally on cruises.  House is insured and in the unlikely event it gets hit, no real need to see it happen in person.  Rather be on the ocean.

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I couldn't leave my house if I knew a major storm was about to hit it, none the less try to enjoy a cruise.

"Hit it" can mean very different things, of course. That's why different people have different reactions.

In some cases you might just be worried about water coming in so you could be home to mitigate that with towels, wet-vac, etc. In other cases, you're house might be in danger of being destroyed. If you have a 4th floor condo, that's also different.

Too many variables to generalize about this topic, IMO. There's no right or wrong answer here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

"Hit it" can mean very different things, of course. That's why different people have different reactions.

In some cases you might just be worried about water coming in so you could be home to mitigate that with towels, wet-vac, etc. In other cases, you're house might be in danger of being destroyed. If you have a 4th floor condo, that's also different.

Too many variables to generalize about this topic, IMO. There's no right or wrong answer here.

Leaking Ryland home in E.I.?

Edited by Vibe
  • Haha 1

Just now, OCSC Mike said:

You a neighbor?

I am nearby in an Ashton Woods home built the same time. I painted my home with elastomeric paint before the 3 hurricanes in 2004 because I was disappointed with the original paint job, luckily it prevented issues.

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

Agreed. Just I only wish I could leave my house during a storm and not think about it 24/7. I was on a cruise last winter when temps at home reached -20. I was concerned what I might come back to. Thankfully all was fine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vibe said:

I am nearby in an Ashton Woods home built the same time. I painted my home with elastomeric paint before the 3 hurricanes in 2004 because I was disappointed with the original paint job, luckily it prevented issues.

I wish paint had solved our issues. Glad you made out better.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, sargemrs said:

I'm not convinced, just asking the options I might have and the cruise line, if the worst happens.  I'm really convinced NOTHING will happen but a wonderful cruise!  Thanks for encouragement.

Again, you are 100% correct to be monitoring the weather. And I disagree with those who insist that it has to be a full blown hurricane before you worry about it. While, maybe not a named hurricane, each of the "Xs", "Os" and swirls represents a storm with strong winds, heavy rains, rough seas for [hundreds of] miles around. 

image.png.a74a05a461a934790a35efc7019be713.png

• Like 1

Weather service said "6" and Emily were not a threat to any land,  verdict still out on the Gulf.  Looks like Hillary made landfall, barely a Cat 1 storm...much ago about nothing hopefully.  I think mud slides will be the problem

Watching right now, I swear those forecasters just sound so disappointed it's not gonna be a hurkin big storm!  Funny.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Again, you are 100% correct to be monitoring the weather. And I disagree with those who insist that it has to be a full blown hurricane before you worry about it. While, maybe not a named hurricane, each of the "Xs", "Os" and swirls represents a storm with strong winds, heavy rains, rough seas for [hundreds of] miles around. 

image.png.a74a05a461a934790a35efc7019be713.png

I and several of our group watching the forecast!!

9 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

Good for you.  We leave for most major storms, and generally on cruises.  House is insured and in the unlikely event it gets hit, no real need to see it happen in person.  Rather be on the ocean.

Agree. Grand Parents lived in Florida from 1975-2006. They were in Michigan summertime May-Nov so never worried about being there in Florida if Storms hit

• Like 1