Celebrity Silhouette Main Dining Room Experience an Embarrassment

Rustyman

When I complained about the standard of food in the MDR I was told that the change was made by management to the menu and food the cruise before ours ie about the start of August. Before August all was good, the poor waiting staff have received a lot of negative feedback on the food since.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Baggy178 said:

Thanks for that report - it confirms our general preference for always eating our meals in the buffet rather than MDR.

We like to drink first and eat late so rarely have a problem with overcrowding.

We have tried the MDR on P&O a couple of times but long waits for ordinary food made it all a bit of a faff.

There just seems more variety at the buffet.

We're on the Silhouette TA this Fall so will report.

We too are on Silhouette's TA in October.  We're to dine in Luminae.  Let's hope the food does not show the same cutbacks that other suite amenities have seen (no more SS butlers).

Edited by marieps

3 hours ago, doghog said:

I've been a CC member since 2001 and from that time to today there has always been threads like this. I don't let what others experience (no matter the topic) positive or negative concern me. Everyone is entitled to that opinion based on their experiences and I respect that. I'll (we'll) make those decisions based on our experiences for that specific cruise. 

I agree! We will see for ourselves. Been on 67 cruises, and although some are better than others, we have never not had a great time! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jshli said:

My husband and I have a cruise booked to Europe next year and it will be our first cruise since covid. We are elite Captain’s Club members, loyal to celebrity (until now) and have almost always booked another cruise before debarking.

I was excited to get back to cruising, until now. With every day that passes and as I read new comments regarding food, vaping, and changes being made by Corporate without notification to the customers it affects, I am becoming more disillusioned and less excited about our cruise. If we have to eat in specialty restaurants regularly and have lunch in port to avoid the substandard food and presentation in the restaurant (which we are paying for), I am sorry to say that this will be our last Celebrity cruise. I am surprised that Celebrity seems unaware that younger cruisers expect quality and healthier food choices, not a piece of meat and a scoop of mashed potatoes thrown on their plate, the same as experienced cruisers. Very short sighted.

Don't let the negativity this board creates disillusion a year in advance. It's unfortunate that some people decide their expensive trips are terrible before they leave the house. Go, try it, if it's not for you, then move on. There are a few people who are hellbent in making sure everyone who will listen shares their misery. Celebrity has definitely made some blunders and questionable decisions lately, but these are topics that surface on every single board on this site. The grass isn't always greener. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rustyman said:

When I complained about the standard of food in the MDR I was told that the change was made by management to the menu and food the cruise before ours ie about the start of August. Before August all was good, the poor waiting staff have received a lot of negative feedback on the food since.

Can confirm that new menu was offered on Silhouette ex-Southampton departing July 24th.

10 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Don't let the negativity this board creates disillusion a year in advance. It's unfortunate that some people decide their expensive trips are terrible before they leave the house. Go, try it, if it's not for you, then move on. There are a few people who are hellbent in making sure everyone who will listen shares their misery. Celebrity has definitely made some blunders and questionable decisions lately, but these are topics that surface on every single board on this site. The grass isn't always greener. 

In analyzing all they have done, in my opinion and others I have spoken to, it appears they are trying to appeal to a younger crowd.  Look at Coco Cay and its attractions, and the short cruises on the Byond.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Trust me the food has deteriorated. I only posted here to advise and have also written to  Celebrity as I had no feedback on board when I raised the concerns. I have had feedback from the CEO’s office today by phone and they have passed my concerns to the relevant persons.

My hope is that Celebrity revert back to what has always been an excellent product pre August 23. I have 3 cruises booked on Celebrity for next year and as much as anyone I want to continue to enjoy travelling with them. As I said earlier the rest of our cruise was very good and all staff happy and excellent as always.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

IMHO we are in a whole different world these days as far as Celebrity goes.  It's easy to say try it and if it's not for you move on.  But what about the non-refundable deposits I have on my 7 upcoming cruises??  It would cost me a fortune to lose those and try to book other lines at higher prices due to being closer to cruise time (which is usually, albeit not always the case).  

I would agree that all reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt, and as one person's opinion.  That said, these cutbacks and changes are not just being noted by one person here or there.  They are consistent, and often noted by people very recognizable to these boards as giving valuable, credible  feedback, over years of posting both the good and the bad.  It would be naive to just write those off when we have thousands of dollars invested in already booked cruises.   Will I go on my cruises with a negative attitude expecting everything to be bad?  Of course not.  But I do think it is important for people to share this information with boards that are designed to do just that.  And even more important, when unacceptable conditions occur to report it to Celebrity management, both onboard and via other channels.  

• Like 10

We are on the current Silhouette sailing from Southampton to the Fjords, we’re first time X cruisers and I was a little worried before we sailed having read about cut backs etc, now as I haven’t sailed on them before I can’t comment on previous MDR experiences, but we’ve just been there for our second evening and the food we’ve had both evenings was fine and up to what we expected, the staff as previously mentioned are exceptional all of them, yes the choice is limited but we certainly haven’t felt the necessity to book an up charge restaurant, we may try the OVC one evening we might not, the roast lamb tonight was delicious, we’re having a fabulous time 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Rustyman said:

The food was very basic and samey. As I said every night was one dollop of mashed potato served obviously from an ice cream scoop a la school dinners, every night was the same 2 veg, green beans and sliced carrots. Meat often tough, chicken and steak. Lack of imagination in the choices, no finesse to any dish, turkey made an appearance most nights including Turkey Linguini with seafood sauce(what?) and this was one of the few non slice of meat choices. No longer are beef ribs or duck on the menu. There was Buttered Chicken on the menu one night, I had it, and there was one cube of chicken with some sauce. 
Most nights most on our table had French onion soup, escargots or Caesar salad starters and steak mains as these were the safe choice. These were fine(but with the ubiquitous mash and same veg) but 2 weeks eating the same is tiring, those who dabbled with other choices returned following disappointment. Plates were often collected post meal with a lot of food left on them.

The waiting staff and Maitre D were embarrassed at the food and the table regularly joked with them about this. The Maitre D was met with raised eyebrows or “fine” when each night he asked how the food was.

If the food is not up to par, I tell the waiter or staff when asked and they always want to bring me another selection.  I am a basic food person so not looking for gourmet food in the MDR.  Want tasty and edible selection.  Have returned selections to the kitchen and the wait staff is so apologetic.  Not their fault I tell them.  

I was on the Reflection a couple of weeks ago, and had a very similar experience, I'm afraid.

The big thing was the lack of choice. There were no daily changing starters apart from soups and salads (except for one night, when a spring roll was on - but unfortunately the pastry was tough). And the main courses section was dominated by the same plain steak, salmon and chicken each night. With the mashed potato, but on the Reflection it was broccoli instead of green beans. There were also virtually no choices that weren't French or Italian inspired - it just wasn't very adventurous. 

From a company that once prided itself on food, this was a very noticeable change. And I'm not sure who it's aimed at, as the slightly younger demographic they're clearly moving towards appreciates good, interesting food. 

Edited by michaelwh
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Lolou127 said:

We are on the current Silhouette sailing from Southampton to the Fjords, we’re first time X cruisers and I was a little worried before we sailed having read about cut backs etc, now as I haven’t sailed on them before I can’t comment on previous MDR experiences, but we’ve just been there for our second evening and the food we’ve had both evenings was fine and up to what we expected, the staff as previously mentioned are exceptional all of them, yes the choice is limited but we certainly haven’t felt the necessity to book an up charge restaurant, we may try the OVC one evening we might not, the roast lamb tonight was delicious, we’re having a fabulous time 

Hi Lolou, thank you for your post - we are on the Silhouette in three weeks’ time so we are very reassured by your current experience. 

We hope the rest of your cruise remains fabulous - the fjords are majestic. 

• Like 2

We sailed Silhouette in June and was curious how our experience would be.  We had sailed on Reflection in January and the MDR experience was really poor.  We were pleased with our Silhouette cruise.  Thank goodness because I don’t want to feel the need to look elsewhere.  We always enjoyed our Celebrity cruises in the past pre Covid.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rustyman said:

Just home from a 13 nighter on the Silhouette, our 4th cruise on her and our last. The main dining room food quality, presentation and choice was very poor and an embarrassment to many including the poor waiting staff and Maitre D. If you want a return to school dinners you’ll enjoy it, every night a slice of chicken, meat or fish and an ice cream scoop of mashed potato with green beans and sliced carrots. The presentation was that which your school dinner lady would provide. Our table lost 2 couples to the Ocean View buffet for the entire cruise, the rest of us endured the MDR for the company only. As always our waiting staff were exceptional but I felt for them as every night they asked all at the table how the food was and every night they were told the same with “but it’s not your fault”.

I complained to the waiter, the Maitre D, reception, Guest Relations and to the Captains Club, never heard a peep back! The waiter, Maitre D and MDR reception all apologised and said that Celebrity have just changed to the new menu and quality and that many on board have complained.

We have 3 cruises booked for next year on Celebrity but if things don’t change back to the previous excellent food quality then we’re cancelling, I couldn’t take more of this new regime. We’re only glad that we didn’t take family or friends with us.

The food selection and quality was far superior in the Oceanview buffet, the only issue there was the lack of available tables, a couple of times we had to circumnavigate the Oceanview twice before finding one, also as the cruise was so busy, on a few occasions we had to lift dirty plates from our table and take them to a trolley to clear the table before  we could eat.

For information the rest of the cruise was very good, all staff as ever were happy, helpful and a joy to be around.

Apologies for the negative post but we’ve had 15 cruises with Celebrity and this was a real shock and embarrassment. If this is the path cruising is choosing to take then hell mend them.

So the OVC was very busy on an evening? I know it is on lunchtimes but never seen it anywhere near half full on evenings.

• Like 1

As I said before for some reason Silhouette had in the past and still has an expanded number of choices versus every other S and M class ship’s MDR menu offerings. Things like butter chicken, stew and the individually listed sides are not available on other ships. If you want to see how bare bones it has gotten don’t look at the Silhouette menu unless of course you are sailing on that ship. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rustyman said:

I’ve done the survey.

Please let us know how the Beyond goes as we’re booked on it and the Ascent next year……….at the moment!

When I spoke with the Captains Club about the poor food and said I wanted reassurance that the Beyond isn’t the same, the lady told me she had a good experience dining on the Beyond, however that was before the new food regime under the new CEO.

That survey is 99.9% worthless but we fill it out every time.

• Like 2

I just looked at the menus for our silhouette cruise. They have indeed changed and not for the best. I was quite disappointed at the offerings and how few choices there were. Looks like the classics are mixed in with the main menu. Take the classics out and there are just a few unappealing options. 

We’ll see how it goes and make our decision whether X is still the cruise line for us or not. 

Edited by Want2Cruise 701
  • Like 2

I sailed five times between June 2022 to April 2023 on S Class and E Class.  There is a marked different in the MDR food experience between S class and E class, with E class's food being noticeably better.  The MDR food on S class has that sad protein with ice cream scoop of mashed potatoes, match stick carrots, and broccoli or green bean, EVERY.SINGLE.NIGHT.  The 4 MDRs on E class has a lot more variety, and better quality.  On S Class you basically have to pay for specialty or go up to Aqua Class for Blu or suites for Luminae.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tigervixxxen said:

As I said before for some reason Silhouette had in the past and still has an expanded number of choices versus every other S and M class ship’s MDR menu offerings. Things like butter chicken, stew and the individually listed sides are not available on other ships. If you want to see how bare bones it has gotten don’t look at the Silhouette menu unless of course you are sailing on that ship. 

I just checked current menu on Constellation.  The only gluten free choices most nights are the classics (which DO come with a yummy, cafeteria-style scoop of potatoes).  I've successfully and happily cruised GF on X since being diagnosed with celiac 15 years ago.  A menu like the one shown here means OVC or specialty for me.  The turkey is GF by substituting a  tasty scoop of potatoes.  BTW, specialty on M-class is Tuscan.  Period.  LPC is silly for someone with celiac. The MDR classic salmon is pretty good but chicken is universally dry, "steak" is tough even if it's rare (and they have a very hard time with rare).  I don't want to be stuck with salmon most nights; I make that often enough at home, and without the scoop of potatoes.  The M-class and S-class MDR dinner menus right now, not some unknown future menu, are unacceptable.  If this menu looks "OK" to you, then our standards for a MDR dinner are certainly oceans apart.

Screenshot_20230819_164132_Celebrity.jpg

• Like 1

We have 2 cruises booked on the new Ascent. The first (1/2024) is in a Sky Suite, so we'll be in Luminae, which I hope will still be good. The second (1/2025) will be a family group, with a 4 yr old, so we'll probably do most meals in the buffet. Although I do want to try some of the specialties in the MDRs. I hope those will still be available. We have done about a dozen cruises in Aqua, and have always been pleased with BLU.

2 hours ago, aggiejd2000 said:

I sailed five times between June 2022 to April 2023 on S Class and E Class.  There is a marked different in the MDR food experience between S class and E class, with E class's food being noticeably better.  The MDR food on S class has that sad protein with ice cream scoop of mashed potatoes, match stick carrots, and broccoli or green bean, EVERY.SINGLE.NIGHT.  The 4 MDRs on E class has a lot more variety, and better quality.  On S Class you basically have to pay for specialty or go up to Aqua Class for Blu or suites for Luminae.  

That’s interesting & good to know. I wondered what changes, if any, were happening on E-Class menus on often higher priced cruises with the 4 restaurant rotation, which I actually really liked, on my single cruise on Edge.  

12 hours ago, hcat said:

bringing down the caliber of food on X to Royal C level will not be very popular!  That is one area that set the two cruise lines apart   

On our cruise on Oasis a few yrs ago . the  food was like  a school dining hall..even in the Specialty venues..

Back then, we could not wait to get back to X...

We were on the Oasis end of June for a Family cruise and I completely agree!!!!

RCI has owned Celebrity since 1997 (found this out during dinner one evening while sailing in Europe on the Galaxy). The spiral downfall has been very, very gradual but my feeling it is finally here to stay.  

We're Elite+ on Celebrity and Diamond on RCI. Now booking Oceania!!!

• Like 2

I am saddened by the menu changes - downgrades to menu choices and upselling added items. I just checked our forthcoming silhouette cruise and there is indeed a lot of mashed potatoes! I will be ready to ask for alternatives when we go. Can you still get a baked potato or fries on the side?IMG_3503.thumb.png.ae6fe53229de902becdf2bf7bb43009d.png

IMG_3505.png

IMG_3504.png

IMG_3506.png

IMG_3509.png

IMG_3508.png

IMG_3507.png

• Thanks 1