Saint Greg's Alaska Jewel - Live - August 28, 2023

Saint Greg

9 hours ago, Stallion said:

Nobody has ever seen Saint Greg and Waldo in the same place. He's an International Man of Mystery. Harder to find than a Golden Duck on a Cruise Ship

BIG GLITTER SPARKLE CRUISING DUCK GOLD 3.5" DUCKIES PARTY FAVORS CRUISE DUCKS - Picture 1 of 3maze picturebook book ILLUSTRATION  Landscape kids detail city town art

He's not that hard to find since I did. But since then he's put in additional security measures! :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 21

I got a message from the airbnb host with check-in information. I knew this when I booked it but the room next to it is an office space that they say will be quiet. But it's closed on weekends so it won't be an issue until 8am Monday. I asked about a possible early check-in since my plane lands at 1pm and check-in isn't until 3pm. I was unable to find any luggage storage places in downtown anchorage like I had in Miami. She said no problem, the room will be ready for me at 1pm. 

• Like 43

I'll be better - sorry about that - just like to talk about cruises like we all do.  Yep, on a PC sitting here at home.  😎 

Edited by Host Kat
Edited font to one that is readable by other members.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MizMoon said:

Eek!  OK, plain old type.  I honestly did not know - I'm still here and following.  

@MizMoon

The dreaded Comic Sans font is severely hard to read by some members. I changed the font for you.

From the Posting and You! section in the Guidelines:

Rich Text & Graphic Images
The use of these features on our message boards can greatly enhance your online Cruise Board experiences. However, postings that are difficult to read, too BIG or too small, too light in color, etc., may be returned to you so that you may repost.

Hope this will be helpful!

Host Kat

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

My Airbnb mentioned it was in a historic house. I didn’t think much of it. Provably a bunch of baloney sandwiches. But tonight I decided to look at the register of historic places in Anchorage…and this house is on the list.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 21

Really looking forward to your review. I'm doing the same cruise 2 weeks after you. I'm loyal to NCL and Carnival most. I've always thought that NCL takes care of solos well. 

When I was on the Jewel in April, Evangeline and Benedict were the best bartenders. Not sure which bar they're currently at, but definitely look for the. I know Evangeline is still onboard. 

• Like 2

Holy smoke! Weeks ago I did seat upgrades on my return flights on AC. Exit row with additional legroom. I never did pick seats on Alaska because I was watching videos and a guy was showing how much legroom the standard seat has saying it’s one of the best among the airlines.

I never decided on an upgrade or not. I should’ve picked a standard seat and then I could go back and upgrade later. Well my flight from Seattle to Alaska only has one seat left that isn’t a middle seat. One aisle seat. I snagged it. I can’t believe how close I was to getting stuck in a middle seat for four hours!

For Seattle I just grabbed a standard seat for now but there are upgrade options exit row for $48 or premium class for $53.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 21

Prices increased $10 overnight but I went ahead and moved to premium on the first flight. That flight to Anchorage. Wow. Only 2 seats available now. Glad I grabbed that aisle seat last night. It would've been gone now. I guess I'll be able to compare First, Premium, and Standard class on Alaska after this one.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

Prices increased $10 overnight but I went ahead and moved to premium on the first flight. That flight to Anchorage. Wow. Only 2 seats available now. Glad I grabbed that aisle seat last night. It would've been gone now. I guess I'll be able to compare First, Premium, and Standard class on Alaska after this one.

Am I reading this correctly, you are flying Alaska Airlines?  If so, I have had nothing but positive experiences flying with them....wishing you the same.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Hogladyrider said:

Am I reading this correctly, you are flying Alaska Airlines?  If so, I have had nothing but positive experiences flying with them....wishing you the same.

Yep. Well Alaska up and Canada back.

I flew with Alaska on my Seattle trip last year. Actually my flight up there got changed to an unacceptable time so they switched me to an American flight that worked. And kept me in first class even though the American first class ticket was much more than the Alaska one I bought. Then I flew Alaska back and got to use their lounge in Seattle which is wonderful. So far it’s all good with Alaska. 

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 11

On 8/19/2023 at 9:30 AM, Saint Greg said:

I struggled to find a hotel in Anchorage. Everything near downtown was $350 and up with extremely mixed reviews. There wasn’t much savings away from downtown. I was still going to pay $300/night and have to find transportation.

Even the Sheraton and Hilton hotels had bad reviews. Every hotel had these “old and dirty” reviews. The one I found that didn’t have those reviews was $900/night. If I were looking to start a business I would buy a hotel in Anchorage. It seems like you could make a fortune with just a  simple modern, clean hotel.

I grew up in Anchorage but haven't lived there for 10 years or so, so take this with a grain of salt, but my goto hotels in town (either for a staycation, or for visiting guests are the Captain Cook (I've never had a bad experience here) and the Millenium on Lake Hood.

Sheraton and hilton are both pretty meh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1