New meteorologist

BND

14 minutes ago, simon.hed said:

JVF was good to respond to specific questions on twitter regarding potential effects on a particular sailing.  I wonder if new guy will do that.

And often gave very poor, inaccurate information.  He nearly got hundreds killed encouraging people to show up at the pier in Galveston during Hurricane Harvey (a move which led to a class action lawsuit)

1 hour ago, simon.hed said:

JVF was good to respond to specific questions on twitter regarding potential effects on a particular sailing.  I wonder if new guy will do that.

He said he would be working with the captains themselves, not likely the public. He said he'd let the captains do the communicating. 

Edited by rockmom

2 minutes ago, rockmom said:

He said he would be working with the captains themselves, not likely the public. He said he'd let the captains do the communicating. 

Which is good, but captains aren't on twitter leading up to a cruise keeping passengers updated on potential weather impacts.

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

Which is good, but captains aren't on twitter leading up to a cruise keeping passengers updated on potential weather impacts.

I agree.  It would be nice to have an official spokesperson.  Not like Carnival with the zillion posts and polls and elevnty billion comments.   Just some good info for guests that comes straight from someone at Royal.  I know they send emails to 'affected guests' but not everyone gets those, or guests/family of guests are hoping to see an update on either the website like airlines do, or social media. 

Royal hired ANOTHER celeb!  The last didn't work out so well, I guess.  I don't know why they can't outsource their weather needs.  But, that horse has been beaten to death several times, already.  Having said that and containing my negative opinion of this (which I fully understand nobody cares about), I wish him good luck and hope he can change my mind.

I do have one non-question though.  Does it take a nationally known TV personality to be a good cruise company Chief Meteorologist!  <Note, no question mark!  

6 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

With hurricane Hilary bearing down on my Navigator of the seas sailing Monday morning i have had good communication from Royal over the last couple of days, surprisingly good. I have had multiple emails letting me know what is going on with a last one delaying my checkin time but telling us sail away will be at the same time.  

I don't need a weatherman on twitter if corporate can keep their act together like this.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 7:59 AM, mo&amp;fran said:

Companies like Weather Channel use meteorologists with PHD's in their fields, not TV personalities. If he had those qualifications, we would call him Dr, not Mr.

Did you read the entire article/blog?

On 8/21/2023 at 7:59 AM, mo&amp;fran said:

Companies like Weather Channel use meteorologists with PHD's in their fields, not TV personalities. If he had those qualifications, we would call him Dr, not Mr.

Carl Parker on the Weather Channel was a local weatherman in Houston back last century.

I did get a kick out of him talking about reporters claiming the west coast storm being much more powerful than anybody  was predicting.  Kind of like the local south Florida TV guys going into Publix and taking a picture of an empty shelves where there would be water, of course reporting empty shelves.  What the do not say is they walked by multiple pallets of water just inside the front door, not to worry.