Selbourne Live from Iona!

Selbourne

@Selbourne lovely photos of Olden and the signature dish from Sindhu looks very nice (and I shall try that one).

Thanks so much for another interesting blog from you.

I am appalled at the unacceptable “lift” manners by some passengers, but am sadly not surprised. As for those above you, there are always those who will be totally unaware of their actions affecting others.
I cannot understand P&Os lack of public announcements, signs and empathy regarding wheelchair users on your cruise and the only reason that buzzes round my mind is they want these ships to be perceived as fun family ships for the young and agile. I hope I’m wrong, but……

Have a lovely day in Olden

Edited by Angel57
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Can you please give an update on the water overflowing onto aft balconies from the deck 16 infinity pool on Iona.

The P&O advert actually shows people near the edge splashing water.

Do you know if any alterations have been made to the overflow?

If you hear anything on board about this would you be so kind and give some feedback @Selbourne.

Iona Epicurean was much better than Britannia's and I'm pleased you enjoyed your time there last night.

I haven’t really stopped for any great time at the aft Graham, so I can’t say that I’ve noticed it, but I will be sure to keep an eye out and let you know if I see or hear anything. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Absolutely beautiful. Looks like you'll have another lovely day.

We don’t tend to book excursions and there doesn’t seem to be anywhere to walk from the berth. No obvious village centre. There’s a Dotto train but it doesn’t look wheelchair friendly. Also the obligatory hop on hop off red sightseeing bus. May have to look into that even though I know that the cost is exploitative 😂 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

We don’t tend to book excursions and there doesn’t seem to be anywhere to walk from the berth. No obvious village centre. There’s a Dotto train but it doesn’t look wheelchair friendly. Also the obligatory hop on hop off red sightseeing bus. May have to look into that even though I know that the cost is exploitative 😂 

Isn't this where ICF's popstar singing bus driver is on the train?  If so I think he and Tiger mentioned it had some accessibility.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

@Selbourne lovely photos of Olden and the signature dish from Sindhu looks very nice (and I shall try that one).

Thanks so much for another interesting blog from you.

I am appalled at the unacceptable “lift” manners by some passengers, but am sadly not surprised. As for those above you, there are always those who will be totally unaware of their actions affecting others.
I cannot understand P&Os lack of public announcements, signs and empathy regarding wheelchair users on your cruise and the only reason that buzzes round my mind is they want these ships to be perceived as fun family ships for the young and agile. I hope I’m wrong, but……

Have a lovely day in Olden

There shouldn't have to be signs and announcements really, common courtesy should prevail. 

Unfortunately, after reading Damians experience of a member of his family being 'clapped' by 2 women when pointing out that there was a queue, is another example of this 'bully for you' attitude. 

It's easy to blame the newbies not understanding cruise etiquette, but I bet the majority of new cruisers are thoroughly decent, good human beings who are equally as appalled by this behaviour as we are... 

Amongst this amount of people, you are going to find a few neanderthals unfortunately, it's just the way of the world. 

So sad. 

Andy 

Edited by AndyMichelle
  • Like 23

24 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

There shouldn't have to be signs and announcements really, common courtesy should prevail. 

Unfortunately, after reading Damians experience of a member of his family being 'clapped' by 2 women when pointing out that there was a queue, is another example of this 'bully for you' attitude. 

It's easy to blame the newbies not understanding cruise etiquette, but I bet the majority of new cruisers are thoroughly decent, good human beings who are equally as appalled by this behaviour as we are... 

Amongst this amount of people, you are going to find a few neanderthals unfortunately, it's just the way of the world. 

So sad. 

Andy 

Yes you are quite right Andy. In mentioning newbies I was just trying to justify why, in the absence of the usual notices, some may not realise the challenges that we have. The one time we have been extended courtesy was by two teenage girls, quite likely first time cruisers. 

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yes you are quite right Andy. In mentioning newbies I was just trying to justify why, in the absence of the usual notices, some may not realise the challenges that we have. The one time we have been extended courtesy was by two teenage girls, quite likely first time cruisers. 

I have said it myself, Selbourne, and seen it said many times that 'what do you expect with so many first time cruisers'. 

Decent people will always be decent people and arrogance/entitlement will always come to the fore. 

It's this 'victory and sod everyone else' attitude that I don't like. 

Unfortunately, this isn't exclusive to cruising. 

All that aside, have a great cruise. As always, really enjoying your reports. 

Andy 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

We were on Iona in January last year, with my mother and her wheelchair, and had no lift issues. Everyone was very polite and let us in first, the fact that is was January and sailing at half capacity possibly made a difference?

Thank you, for another informative and balanced report, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

DAY 3 - Stavanger 

I usually sleep like a log on cruises but am struggling on this one. There were quite a few people being inconsiderate and talking loudly in the passenger corridors whilst returning to their cabins in the early hours after Celebration night, and we have people above us who are going for the world record of how many times they can rearrange their balcony furniture, including very late at night and very early in the morning! As one of our daughters said (who was also disturbed by the noise) it surely wouldn’t be difficult to build in some sort of soft padding on the feet of balcony chairs etc to minimise the noise when they are dragged around. Her partner, who is new to cruising, thought it was thunder 😂 

We went down to the Pearl restaurant for our booked table at 0915. Our daughters really enjoyed it and have said that they will ditch the buffet now. Our waiters are brilliant. Nothing is too much trouble. The food was good quality and hot. We are also delighted to find that MDR breakfast is last admission 9.30am on all port days and 10am on all sea days on Iona, which is 30 minutes later than most of the other ships. Makes all the difference and is a big plus for us. 

I reported yesterday on the lift issues we are experiencing with the wheelchair and it was interesting that when the deputy captain made the announcement about disembarking in Stavanger there was no mention of which exit wheelchair users should use, as there almost always is on the other ships. Sometimes only one of the two exits is safe for wheelchairs, and if you finally get a lift and go down to the wrong one you are asked to go to the other, which involves yet more lift issues. Thankfully we were Ok with the one we chose, but we are building up a firm picture on this ship that the needs of those with mobility challenges is just not on their radar. A great shame, as I have always sung P&Os praises on this issue and it’s been one of the major reasons we’ve used them so much since my wife became a full time wheelchair user. It’s particularly odd because the accessible cabins and physical provisions around the ship (accessible loos etc) are all excellent. 

We had a lovely few hours walking around Stavanger in the sunshine. The blue skies were just an added bonus, as we were relieved to be here given how many times Iona fails to dock in Stavanger due to wind etc. As this is the only biggish place we are going on this cruise, the girls enjoyed the shops and said that the prices didn’t seem too bad. A few carrier bags accompanied us back to the ship! 

When we were taking photos of the ship we noticed that a run of 4 cabins above us all have their balcony dividers folded back, so it must be a large party all travelling together. This might go some way to explaining why there is so much noise from overhead when we are on our balcony. It sounds like people are walking (and sometimes kids running) backward and forwards constantly, crashing and banging around and dragging balcony furniture around with great frequency. As I have mentioned on previous cruise blogs, if there’s a noisy or inconsiderate family on the ship you can bet a large sum of money that they will either be beside or above us 🙄. Thankfully, one of our daughters is one side of us and we have a lovely family the other side who are as considerate as we are, so the problem this time is just from above 😂 

We left Stavanger at around 5pm, just as the sun was fading, so good timing. A nice transit out, albeit lacking the visual splendour of the proper fjords which we will enjoy for the next 2 days. 

Four of us had dinner booked in Sindhu. We met for pre dinner drinks in the very narrow Sindhu bar. I was interested to find out if they had the East India Punch drink that I couldn’t get on Britannia due to “supply issues in Southampton”. They did, so the excuse given on Britannia was clearly hogwash. It was much nicer than the Cherry Negroni I’d had the night before 😂 

I’m not usually a massive fan of Sindhu (even though I love Indian food) but our daughter was really looking forward to it as it’s her favourite. Thankfully this was an excellent meal and everyone really enjoyed it - including me. The menu was totally different from both the menus we had on Britannia and was all the better for it. The signature plate is a completely different style. On the other ships it’s 3 different curries. On Iona it’s like a platter of different things (lobster, beef and duck) all flavoured differently, plus loads of bits and pieces that we kept discovering hidden under other things! I’ll post a photo. Highly recommended. I was also really impressed with the charging setup for those who had booked pre cruise. The £10 booking charge had been discounted by 20% for advance booking plus a further 10% loyalty discount. However we were credited with the full £10 a head. Furthermore, the surplus was then also discounted by a further 20% because we had booked pre-cruise and then that was discounted by my 10% loyalty discount! Nice when you feel that you’ve had a bargain 😂 

The show was not the one previously advertised, so we cancelled as it didn’t appeal and my wife wanted to return to the cabin. I know that I am becoming like a stuck record about this (and it will only be of interest to those with mobility issues) but we then had the worst example yet of lift problems. We had been waiting for a good 10 minutes or more for a lift and every one had space for a 2 or 3 people but not for a wheelchair. At this point a large group of around 8 people arrived, and when the first lift that had a decent amount of space space in it eventually appeared they all charged for it. I’m afraid that my blood boiled and I told them in no uncertain terms that we had been waiting for ages and would be using that lift. Those that had rushed in reluctantly vacated to let us in, but then proceeded to pile in all around us so we were wedged like sardines. We are now sick and fed up of this lift issue and I think it has completely put us off going on Iona (or Arvia) again. We are both already dreading what it will be like on disembarkation morning, given that it’s usually a nightmare even on the ships where we’ve had no significant lift issues during the cruise. 

Given that 95% plus of the people reading this will be able bodied and won’t experience any of these issues whatsoever (so apologies for boring you with our problems), let me end todays blog with some significant positives.  

We don’t have the concerns or issues with ‘big ships’ that some have and in all honesty it doesn’t feel that much bigger than Britannia when you are on board. It does feel a busier though. Virtual queueing for the MDRs works much better on Iona than on Britannia, in spite of the size difference. I have not seen more than 1 of the MDRs showing ‘queue full’ at any time, so I don’t think that we would have had any issues had we used the MDR each evening. This was a major problem on Britannia. We thought that the food on Britannia was mostly very good. It’s even better on Iona. If you are foodies like us, this is the P&O ship to come on. Our daughters and partners (all, thankfully, able bodied and using the stairs a lot) love the ship and are really enjoying it. 

So, in summary, if you are booked to come on Iona or are considering it, you will have a great experience. The problems that we have had are very specific to us and shouldn’t affect your cruise at all. I am also conscious that several other forum regulars who use scooters or wheelchairs haven’t reported these challenges when they’ve been on Iona, so we may have just been very unlucky and it’s probably been exacerbated by it being peak summer school holidays. We are still enjoying the cruise, but mostly because we are with family and the food has been great. The lift problems that we are regularly experiencing and the attitude from reception and many fellow passengers regarding this issue have just put a whopping dark cloud over us. Next stop Olden. 

@Selbourne.

I have found reception staff friendly but ineffective at decision making.

The hotel directors office is usually next to reception and we found that insisting to speak to the hotel director will get us a meeting with him/her reasonably quickly.

This would be a perfect opportunity to express your disappointment with the lifts and get something done regarding signage or mention in the daily horizon especially as you are top loyalty and not a cruise novice.

If no one has spoken directly to the hotel director they probably think there are no issues.

I'm pleased otherwise you are all having a great time.

Loving your review.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

And a truly ‘Live from’ as this is our arrival into Olden taken just minutes ago

IMG_0765.jpeg

IMG_0766.jpeg

Olden is lovely but there are only a couple of shops across the road or a 1000 metre walk to a tiny centre.

IMG_20230606_113216.jpg

IMG_20230606_130306.jpg

• Like 7

And a truly ‘Live from’ as this is our arrival into Olden taken just minutes ago

IMG_0765.jpeg

IMG_0766.jpeg

Great photos!👍 You've even managed to photoshop some low cloud in.🤭

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

When we were there in June, of the seven land trains I counted, more than half were wheelchair accessible at the back.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2943400-not-quite-live-from-iona-g318-fjords-10th-june/page/4/#comment-65546780

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Isn't this where ICF's popstar singing bus driver is on the train?  If so I think he and Tiger mentioned it had some accessibility.

That's right👍

I've posted above; hopefully Selbourne may see it whilst still in port. The land choo-choo trip is about an hour and I thought it was good value.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

There is a very pleasant walk if you go left along the fjord, it does have some inclines but mainly follows the fjord. There is a garden of one house that is full of troll figures that you pass, we had a lovely sunny day which also helped us to enjoy the walk.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

There is a very pleasant walk if you go left along the fjord, it does have some inclines but mainly follows the fjord. There is a garden of one house that is full of troll figures that you pass, we had a lovely sunny day which also helped us to enjoy the walk.

That’s brilliant John. Many thanks. We will try that first before deciding if we still want to attempt the bus or Road train.  

Lovely photos @Selbourne and I hope you have a wonderful day in port. Your dinner at Sindhu looked great. It really does amaze me how much the food varies across the fleet.

I am sorry to hear the lift issues continue for you. Unfortunately there are many inconsiderate people in life now who lack manners and have an attitude of they can do what ever they like and when, and they will! It does seem more prevalent on the cruise ships nowadays, you can see that with how many ignore rules over simple things such as smoking, allowing their children in adult pools, and not adhering to dress codes.

• Like 11

14 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The walk to a tiny centre and a couple of shops 200 metres from the centre you need to turn right leaving the terminal.

This was a lovely walk.

We were there on June 6th 2023 on Britannia.

IMG_20230606_130636.jpg

IMG_20230606_115805.jpg

IMG_20230606_115510.jpg

IMG_20230822_094407.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The walk to a tiny centre and a couple of shops 200 metres from the centre you need to turn right leaving the terminal.

This was a lovely walk.

We were there on June 6th 2023 on Britannia.

IMG_20230606_130636.jpg

IMG_20230606_115805.jpg

IMG_20230606_115510.jpg

Thanks Graham. I couldn’t see a pavement heading right from the terminal, but have just looked again from our balcony following your post and can now see that it is initially inland from the road before rejoining further along. My wife doesn’t seem massively keen on the bus or the train so it’s great to have a few walking options. I’ll let my breakfast go down first 😂 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I am doing your itinerary in reverse it seems (Celebrity Silhouette) since we have just arrived in Stavanger and were in Olden yesterday!

The buses outside the ship in Olden do a short (just less than an hour) but pretty tour with a few photo stops.  We did it last year - just had a short walk yesterday, and from memory they have blue single deck buses which I suspect have better access.

I am appalled by the lift behaviour of some people and you are wrong to assume your experiences might have no interest to the able bodied.  I have been known to hold people back when aware of a wheelchair user who has been there longer than me.  (I was a teacher of 14-18 year olds and can 'project' when necessary 😉).  Pleased to read that you can also be assertive but not that it's necessary in the first place.

I've sailed with Princess and now Celebrity since Iona in March and we won't be back on her.  Not to our taste either despite having much we liked.  I hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise and it's good to know that the younger ones are enjoying the ship.

Edited by mrsgoggins
  • Like 13

25 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

There were quite a few people being inconsiderate and talking loudly in the passenger corridors whilst returning to their cabins in the early hours after Celebration night,

On our 15 nt TA  ,we had the same problem ,the cabin opposite to ours would stop and 

chat loudly with their buddies and then shout goodnight to them as they went in to their cabin .

After 3 or four nights ,I had had enough .

Later that morning around 4.30 am (like getting up early ) I got dressed to go up to the buffet

for an early morning cuppa. I walked up to their door with my face inches away ,took a deep

breath and yelled "MORNING !   DID ANYONE ELSE HEAR THOSE DRUNKS SHOUTING 

GOODNIGHT WAKING EVERYONE UP ??"

Then went for my cuppa ...On my return my Mrs said did you hear someone shout ?

If she heard it in our cabin ,I'm sure they got the message and I never heard from them 

so they got the message .😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 16

8 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks Graham. I couldn’t see a pavement heading right from the terminal, but have just looked again from our balcony following your post and can now see that it is initially inland from the road before rejoining further along. My wife doesn’t seem massively keen on the bus or the train so it’s great to have a few walking options. I’ll let my breakfast go down first 😂 

There is a path just away from the road from the few shops opposite the terminal and you walk past a stream and several houses to the centre.

Keep walking on the road path then cross the road after about 800 metres where the nice outlet shop is.

There are seats outside this outlet to sit down on.

Continue along for another 200 metres and you get to the small Olden centre.

I took several photos but Pauline and I were on them so I didn't post them but it is a fantastic walk with awesome scenery.

Edited by grapau27
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I am doing your itinerary in reverse it seems (Celebrity Silhouette) since we have just arrived in Stavanger and were in Olden yesterday!

The buses outside the ship in Olden do a short (just less than an hour) but pretty tour with a few photo stops.  We did it last year - just had a short walk yesterday, and from memory they have blue single deck buses which I suspect have better access.

I am appalled by the lift behaviour of some people and you are wrong to assume your experiences might have no interest to the able bodied.  I have been known to hold people back when aware of a wheelchair user who has been there longer than me.  (I was a teacher of 14-18 year olds and can 'project' when necessary 😉).  Pleased to read that you can also be assertive but not that it's necessary in the first place.

I've sailed with Princess and now Celebrity since Iona in March and we won't be back on her.  Not to our taste either despite having much we liked.  I hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise and it's good to know that the younger ones are enjoying the ship.

I hope you are having a fantastic cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1