Was I duped?

TPgal

We are just back from a mostly fantastic trip on the Bliss to Alaska.

I'm back at my desk avoiding work like normal and running through the receipts and whatnot and need your thoughts & expertise on two "issues".  Both might be lack of experience.  

Item 1: Latitudes Reward Discount Failure

In Juneau opted to stay on board because the lines for the busses in Sitka took 90 minutes, we've been there before, and what a great way to experience the ship with many people off doing something else.   After breakfast, the Spa ladies got me and I accepted the "port day spa special".  The service was great, and the push to buy the special bath tea wasn't too hard to avoid.  Then, she had me sign all the sheets and said, as if she was doing me a favor..."I'll run this after we leave so that you don't get charged taxes".   Sounds great right?  Well, imagine my frustration today when I was on my account searching for the cruise next certificate information (wait for item 2) to see that as a Latitudes Silver level, I was entitled to a 15% discount if she had ran the charge while we were in port (which we were for another 3 hours.)   Obviously, this is my fault for not knowing the insides and outs of the rewards program, but I'm left with a terrible taste in my mouth and feel like an idiot for tipping on top of the mandatory tip.  I feel like a mark.   There's nothing to do...but am I out of my mind for feeling like I was duped?

Item 2: CruiseNext Deposits

Actually, as I wrote this up, I think I figured it out, but the cruise next math is kind of nuts.  I bought one, they gave me one by issuing $250 onboard credit to the current cruise, then they applied two credits to the cruise we had booked.  For a first time purchaser of CNDs I think the information about how it works could be better.  I see that many of you are fans and repeat customers and the math works but it took me a moment to validate it.  So, in short - this wasn't a scam. 

With that said...what about the spa thing? 

I too felt duped by my spa experience two cruises ago. I did bite on the product upsell, but to be fair I actually wanted the item. But when I was presented with the bill, she pointed at the tip line. I said something like, isn’t the tip included? She hurriedly said, oh no, that’s for the company, not me. I only get what you fill in. I was so relaxed by the massage I just filled in the tip. After thinking about it later, I realized what she’d done. I didn’t make a fuss but I avoided the spa on our June cruise. 

15 minutes ago, TPgal said:

We are just back from a mostly fantastic trip on the Bliss to Alaska.

I'm back at my desk avoiding work like normal and running through the receipts and whatnot and need your thoughts & expertise on two "issues".  Both might be lack of experience.  

Item 1: Latitudes Reward Discount Failure

In Juneau opted to stay on board because the lines for the busses in Sitka took 90 minutes, we've been there before, and what a great way to experience the ship with many people off doing something else.   After breakfast, the Spa ladies got me and I accepted the "port day spa special".  The service was great, and the push to buy the special bath tea wasn't too hard to avoid.  Then, she had me sign all the sheets and said, as if she was doing me a favor..."I'll run this after we leave so that you don't get charged taxes".   Sounds great right?  Well, imagine my frustration today when I was on my account searching for the cruise next certificate information (wait for item 2) to see that as a Latitudes Silver level, I was entitled to a 15% discount if she had ran the charge while we were in port (which we were for another 3 hours.)   Obviously, this is my fault for not knowing the insides and outs of the rewards program, but I'm left with a terrible taste in my mouth and feel like an idiot for tipping on top of the mandatory tip.  I feel like a mark.   There's nothing to do...but am I out of my mind for feeling like I was duped?

Item 2: CruiseNext Deposits

Actually, as I wrote this up, I think I figured it out, but the cruise next math is kind of nuts.  I bought one, they gave me one by issuing $250 onboard credit to the current cruise, then they applied two credits to the cruise we had booked.  For a first time purchaser of CNDs I think the information about how it works could be better.  I see that many of you are fans and repeat customers and the math works but it took me a moment to validate it.  So, in short - this wasn't a scam. 

With that said...what about the spa thing? 

I can agree with you when it comes to the spa services.  I had a voucher for a certain $ off from our travel agent on a spa service and was told after the service that I couldn't use it since it was already discounted.  It seems like they make up the rules as they go.  I don't like feeling deceived.  That tip situation is complete dishonesty though.  She should have been honest with you as that will stick with you.  That might make me avoid giving an extra tip on subsequent services when I feel like I'm being taken advantage of by the overall "system".  Sorry that happened to you.

17 minutes ago, TPgal said:

Well, imagine my frustration today when I was on my account searching for the cruise next certificate information (wait for item 2) to see that as a Latitudes Silver level, I was entitled to a 15% discount if she had ran the charge while we were in port (which we were for another 3 hours.) 

If I were you, I'd contact NCL and ask for (not demand, but just politely request) some compensation (maybe a credit to your credit card or a voucher or something). That wasn't fair on their part. The only scenario in which I wouldn't do that is if the 15% discount they didn't apply was less than the taxes they also didn't apply since they ran the charge after you'd left port.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, libtrek said:

I too felt duped by my spa experience two cruises ago. I did bite on the product upsell, but to be fair I actually wanted the item. But when I was presented with the bill, she pointed at the tip line. I said something like, isn’t the tip included? She hurriedly said, oh no, that’s for the company, not me. I only get what you fill in. I was so relaxed by the massage I just filled in the tip. After thinking about it later, I realized what she’d done. I didn’t make a fuss but I avoided the spa on our June cruise. 

That would be an "irk" that would stick with me as well.   I knew I was tipping on top of the built in tip, but I'm not sure I'll use the spa in the future.  

21 minutes ago, libtrek said:

I may have been told wrong but, I was told a while back that the Spa and medical services were not ships company nor even NCL employees. The Spa (et al including hair and nails and pedis) and medical services are contracted out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

I may have been told wrong but, I was told a while back that the Spa and medical services were not ships company nor even NCL employees. The Spa (et al including hair and nails and pedis) and medical services are contracted out.

You are correct in that assumption. When you sign up to receive spa services, there's language to the effect that "I hold Acme Services, its successors and/or assigns, harmless, blah blah blah." Stuff like that which is boilerplate contract language.

• Like 3

I would go ahead and submit a case with post-cruise guest relations about the port day Latitudes discount. I would actually just say that you had the treatment in port (they can confirm with the ship what time you were there) and so there should be a 15% discount, period. In other words, don’t mention that the staff offered to help you evade taxes and that you agreed to this. Just say that you were overcharged (which is true). 

Because I’m pretty sure the spa staff were genuinely trying to save you the tax, and in general it’s a good thing (for passengers) when the staff on board suggests doing this. But it is also fraudulent (in a minor way) so it’s probably best not to draw too much attention to the practice in official communications with NCL. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

Medical Services, Spa and the Gift Shops -- Companies are contracted, employees work for the indivdual companies not NCL.

• Like 3

I go to the spa often and I think you may be confused on 1 point (pardon me if I am understanding incorrectly). You said you took the special of the day correct? This is an already discounted deal and not subject to the latitudes discount which is against the regular packages. It's an either or situation. I have had this happen before and you have to figure out which is the better deal. Often it is the deal of the day so they may in fact have saved you some money if they gave you the port deal and ran it through later to save you taxes.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TheycallmeDrew said:

I go to the spa often and I think you may be confused on 1 point (pardon me if I am understanding incorrectly). You said you took the special of the day correct? This is an already discounted deal and not subject to the latitudes discount which is against the regular packages. It's an either or situation. I have had this happen before and you have to figure out which is the better deal. Often it is the deal of the day so they may in fact have saved you some money if they gave you the port deal and ran it through later to save you taxes.

This is correct. There is only one discount to use. You were not scammed.

Spa employees sometimes play fast a loose with charges.  But, I do remember some verbiage surrounding any discounts offered (i.e. discount for spa services on port days) can only be applied to regular spa prices.

It's been a while since I had any spa services for this very reason.  It's hard to tell what the rules are, sometimes.  Like anything else, there are good masseuses and there are questionable ones.  The "new" ones usually push the elixirs and multiple spa treatments.  The ones who are veterans seem to know when to back off.

That being said, the tips are clearly marked on the receipt.  Anything over and above that (or nothing at all) is optional.  I don't believe those extra tips go to the spa, but to the individual.  If in doubt, give them cash, which they'll gladly accept, too.

11 minutes ago, TheycallmeDrew said:

I agree with this interpretation, and will further point out the fine print on the Latitudes spa discount that says "Onboard Discounts on Spa Signature Treatments while the Ship is in Port". Only certain spa treatments are marked as 'signature', e.g. it includes the fire and ice manicure and pedicure qualifies as a 'signature treatment' but a regular pedicure doesn't. Likewise, the Aroma Stone Therapy massage gets the Latitude discount but a Deep Tissue Massage doesn't.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Spa employees sometimes play fast a loose with charges.  But, I do remember some verbiage surrounding any discounts offered (i.e. discount for spa services on port days) can only be applied to regular spa prices.

It's been a while since I had any spa services for this very reason.  It's hard to tell what the rules are, sometimes.  Like anything else, there are good masseuses and there are questionable ones.  The "new" ones usually push the elixirs and multiple spa treatments.  The ones who are veterans seem to know when to back off.

That being said, the tips are clearly marked on the receipt.  Anything over and above that (or nothing at all) is optional.  I don't believe those extra tips go to the spa, but to the individual.  If in doubt, give them cash, which they'll gladly accept, too.

What I'm thinking is the line item on the receipt is  18% "Service Charge" that is added to the bill. I'm guessing one spa employee said this wasn't a tip and then the cruiser signed for more $$ on the tip line. 

Edited by KXZ1498
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

I was told by someone who used to work in the spa that the added gratuity was the only pay the spa person received aside from quotas on products that they push which is why the upsale is so high on spa visits. So on a let's say $200 service the person doing the treatment on get's $36. That is why I tip extra for good service. Also the tips are not pooled like they are in the shops.

1 minute ago, KXZ1498 said:

What I'm thinking is the line item on the receipt is  18% "Service Charge" that is added to the bill. I'm guessing one spa employee said this wasn't a tip and then the OP signed for more $$ on the tip line. 

Well...if that's their terminology, then getting the "service" from the masseuse qualifies as what the service charge is for.  So, whatever nomenclature they use...service charge, tip, "kick you out of the spa room because your time is up charge"...it's all the same to me.

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

If I were you, I'd contact NCL and ask for (not demand, but just politely request) some compensation (maybe a credit to your credit card or a voucher or something). That wasn't fair on their part. The only scenario in which I wouldn't do that is if the 15% discount they didn't apply was less than the taxes they also didn't apply since they ran the charge after you'd left port.

The spa is not NCL, they are a vendor like the medical center.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hawkeyetlse said:

I would go ahead and submit a case with post-cruise guest relations about the port day Latitudes discount. I would actually just say that you had the treatment in port (they can confirm with the ship what time you were there) and so there should be a 15% discount, period. In other words, don’t mention that the staff offered to help you evade taxes and that you agreed to this. Just say that you were overcharged (which is true). 

Because I’m pretty sure the spa staff were genuinely trying to save you the tax, and in general it’s a good thing (for passengers) when the staff on board suggests doing this. But it is also fraudulent (in a minor way) so it’s probably best not to draw too much attention to the practice in official communications with NCL. 

Yikes, "evade taxes".  I didn't think of it in that way.  I had no problem paying taxes on my beverages in Seattle or Victoria, B.C., so I'm not sure why I so readily agreed to do it in Alaska.  Now I'm questioning my own ethics.  

46 minutes ago, KXZ1498 said:

18% "Service Charge" that is added to the bill. I'm guessing one spa employee said this wasn't a tip and then the cruiser signed for more $$ on the tip line. 

I knowingly added extra tip to the tab, that wasn't my issue.  I was wondering about the Latitudes discount, but @OrcaGirl makes a great point about the use of the term "Spa Signature Treatments".  Based on that, I am gathering the discount wouldn't have come into play.

It is not about the money, I mean if the discount was the make or break point, maybe I shouldn't be cruising, it was about being dishonest, but as @hawkeyetlse pointed out - I was ok with shorting the state of Alaska their cut... so I shall shrink off back to my day job and question my own ethics.

Thank you all.  

• Like 3

I won't speak to the spa; I've never patronized it.  CruiseNext is a good deal, but it's not the clearest transaction.  Fundamentally, you're charged face value and get credits for half the value.  It would just be easier if they charged you for the discounted amount and be done with it.

Though now that CruiseFirst is a thing, I probably won't bother with CN anymore.

I love the thermal suite and almost always get it, but the spa services are so overpriced plus 18% and to add more to that for the overworked massage therapists, who often do double the industry standard for safety each day.  It’s too much.  I can go to a lively high end spa here at home and get out for far less than on a ship and with a better massage.  Just me, but I long ago tired of the film flam of the spa.  You can have a discount, except you really can’t.  No thanks.  We often times find a spa in one of the ports and get massages there.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OrcaGirl said:

I agree with this interpretation, and will further point out the fine print on the Latitudes spa discount that says "Onboard Discounts on Spa Signature Treatments while the Ship is in Port". Only certain spa treatments are marked as 'signature', e.g. it includes the fire and ice manicure and pedicure qualifies as a 'signature treatment' but a regular pedicure doesn't. Likewise, the Aroma Stone Therapy massage gets the Latitude discount but a Deep Tissue Massage doesn't.

This is the correct rule 

In early August I had my hair colored and cut onboard. When presented with the receipt I asked if her received the gratuity. He said it was split 3 ways - of course I can't remember who all gets it - but one third went to the company who owes the spa, he got a third and the other third I don't remember if it went to NCL or someone else. I did my quick math and figured what his third was and added a tip accordingly.