Tips not included with "have it all"?

MARYVB

3 minutes ago, MARYVB said:

A friend recently returned from the voyage of the Vikings on Zaandam. They had a have it all package, but tips were not included. Is this a new policy?

It depends.  Sometimes they are and sometimes not - different promotions.  Our upcoming Oct cruise includes them.

• Like 3

The common HIA does not usually include the crew incentive.  HAL offers promotions at times where it is included in the HIA and it is included in the Early Booking bonus.  It’s always a good plan to check what is included in your HIA.

They all include shore excursions, specialty dining and a drink package.  From there it varies.

• Like 7

I am on the Zaandam currently.  I have the HIA package, when you order a drink in any of the bars they will print out a ticket asking for additional tips.  The 18% gratuity/tip that is already charged is listed plus there is a blank line for any additional you may choose to add or not. You can just but a 0 on that line.
Unfortunately this adds extra time to get your drinks on board.

• Like 4

If as you say, not tipping extra to the 18% already charged in the package slows the service you get, I would equate this to almost being blackmailed into tipping extra…. I truly hope it is not the case…18% is quite enough of a tip.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SLC1954 said:

I am on the Zaandam currently.  I have the HIA package, when you order a drink in any of the bars they will print out a ticket asking for additional tips.  The 18% gratuity/tip that is already charged is listed plus there is a blank line for any additional you may choose to add or not. You can just but a 0 on that line.
Unfortunately this adds extra time to get your drinks on board.

We had that on the Koningsdam too.  Slips but they don’t ASK for an extra tip.  There’s a line there to add if you like.  After a couple of days I just said I’m not signing it and they can stop giving them to me.  And they got crinkled up.

I think they are doing it to keep track of drinks and since some people do like to tip extra per drink, it saves them carrying bills.

I prefer to tip extra later IF it is warranted. I guess if a person has non refundable OBC, it’s a good way to use some of it up if you have a favourite waiter.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, highscar said:

What would be the attraction of HIA if:  as 4* half price wine pkg and special restaurants, don’t want wi fi.  Just curious.   

The math doesn’t work for you - no worries.  It works for others 🙂 

Lots are 4 and 5* and take it when it works.  For others, it doesn’t and they don’t.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FrankieSue said:

If as you say, not tipping extra to the 18% already charged in the package slows the service you get, I would equate this to almost being blackmailed into tipping extra…. I truly hope it is not the case…18% is quite enough of a tip.

You may have misunderstood. Service isn't slowed down because you don't add an additional tip. It's just that the act of printing out receipts for everyone and having them sign them (so that you have the opportunity to add an additional tip) is what slows down service overall.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Zukini said:

You may have misunderstood. Service isn't slowed down because you don't add an additional tip. It's just that the act of printing out receipts for everyone and having them sign them (so that you have the opportunity to add an additional tip) is what slows down service overall.

And wastes paper, which HAL keeps on promoting on other items.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Zukini said:

The signed receipt has nothing to do with the ability to add an additional tip. Is has to do with proof for HAL that the drinks were in fact received by the pax. To many pax were claiming they were being charged for drinks they did not receive. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, highscar said:

What would be the attraction of HIA if:  as 4* half price wine pkg and special restaurants, don’t want wi fi.  Just curious.   

It doesn't work for lower star mariners either, if you don't really drink much.  Adding an extra $700 to a 7 day cruise,  just doesn't work for us- we are 3*.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, highscar said:

As far as the drinks,  I don’t want to have to go from my room to a bar for a cocktail.  I prefer to pour my own to enjoy on my balcony. Especially fresh from the shower in my HAL compfort robe. 

And some of us are more social creatures and tend to drink at bars/lounges/pool rather than in our rooms. I cannot tel you how many times I have brought wine onboard a cruise to “enjoy on my balcony” and end up taking it off the ship home with me. Each of us is different. 

Love the bar slips. Don't have to BRING a stack of $1s on board nor remember to carry them around. Or $5s to try to find that favorite drink steward on the last full day... 

Maybe they could ask if you want one? But not if the purpose is to track or prove you got the drink. 

Just sign with your initials? 

• Like 1

OK. So alot of chatter here about wheth3r you tip extra or not and where you like to do your drinking. But...I would like to know whether the HIA in includes the tips. I just checked all my paperwork from HAL, and nowhere does it say it includes it in the drink pkg or the two inclused a la carte dinners. We cruise Sunday.this info would have been nice to know before now. I just assumed it was included 

Pretty sure tips included but not gratuities with ordinary HIA .  Go to HAL website , then cruise deals, then have it all package.  Explanation clearly says drink tips included (as would be expected by the receipt discussion above).  I can't find where it says also included on dinners yet but think so.  Should be clear from receipt you will sign there if you can wait that long

14 minutes ago, Kate45 said:

OK. So alot of chatter here about wheth3r you tip extra or not and where you like to do your drinking. But...I would like to know whether the HIA in includes the tips. I just checked all my paperwork from HAL, and nowhere does it say it includes it in the drink pkg or the two inclused a la carte dinners. We cruise Sunday.this info would have been nice to know before now. I just assumed it was included 

If it’s not in your HAL confirmation (page 2 on it on mine) where it lists everything, you don’t have tips included.  they are not included all the time and often only on special promotion.