Jim_Iain - First Non-Celebrity Cruise in 22 year - Ponant vs Celebrity Comparison

Jim_Iain

Sometimes communication is lacking.   Example the original schedule was we would be arriving Port Colborne at 1:00 PM.  Last night we received our excursion tickets with a 8:00 AM departure time.   Iain was not pleased.  

It would have been a disaster if we had scheduled a private tour.

• Like 1

Up at 7:00 am for a quick breakfast.  

Excursions are so much easier than celebrity.  Meet at designated time in main lounge.   They call your tour and off the ship and onto a bus. 
They check you off by cabin as you board. 

IMG_7155.thumb.jpeg.ab1e5327117c5dd706e1c87acb2dbe06.jpeg

Port Colbourne

IMG_7156.thumb.jpeg.df0629dfe40702f8733343682e45429f.jpeg

IMG_7157.thumb.jpeg.22f9d0a1b57ef6a4957c96533e620c00.jpeg

The have wireless receivers and headphone.  We had one guide in French and one in English. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

great pics..love the flowers..showing well in the sunshine!

My impression is that this type of cruise takes folks to  lovely places they might never see or otherwise experience, esp from the water view..Lots of nature and history and a relaxed upscale ambiance onboard. Def low stress!

Wondering if a US River cruise might be similar? 

• Like 1

Many years  ago there was an attempt to have a raft ride for tourists down the Whirlpool Rapids.   It ended in a tragedy

https://www.niagarafallsinfo.com/niagara-falls-history/niagara-falls-tales/accidents-rescues/white-water-rafting/

There are a lot of stories and legends about the falls.  When visiting  the Caribbean the people on those islands are always proud about their waterfall and trying to get you to go on a tour to see it.  Naturally it is a source of income for them but after seeing the Mighty Niagara not many can compare.    

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

16 minutes ago, hcat said:

great pics..love the flowers..showing well in the sunshine!

My impression is that this type of cruise takes folks to  lovely places they might never see or otherwise experience, esp from the water view..Lots of nature and history and a relaxed upscale ambiance onboard. Def low stress!

Wondering if a US River cruise might be similar? 

That really is their forte. Exotic locations and places large ships could not access 

We did say it might be similar to a river cruise. 

We were considering river. Ruined but after visiting one in Bruges we decided it might be too small. 

5 minutes ago, miched said:

Many years  ago there was an attempt to have a raft ride for tourists down the Whirlpool Rapids.   It ended in a tragedy

https://www.niagarafallsinfo.com/niagara-falls-history/niagara-falls-tales/accidents-rescues/white-water-rafting/

There are a lot of stories and legends about the falls.  When visiting  the Caribbean the people on those islands are always proud about their waterfall and trying to get you to go on a tour to see it.  Naturally it is a source of income for them but after seeing the Mighty Niagara not many can compare.    

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I have to say Niagara Falls are incredible.  Would love to see them at night when lit with colored lights. 

• Like 10

Hi Jim,

Thank you for posting all of the beautiful pictures.

I’m glad you enjoyed the Falls— it’s an incredible experience.  I’m sure you will enjoy the Welland Canal transit too.  I wish the timing had been better so I could have driven to Lock 3 and watch your ship!

Enjoy the rest of your voyage!

Jim, welcome to my neck of the woods. Glad you are enjoying your day. I love all your photos especially the ones of you travelling thru the Welland Canal.  I have never seen that perspective before.

As for the Falls, the fireworks take place in the summer every Friday night. They do light up the falls every night with different colours.

A few years ago a tight rope walker crossed from the American falls over to Table Rock on the Canadian side. 

Enjoy the rest of your cruise

• Like 2