Gratuities [eeeek]

zimmerman

15 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

Regardless you have skills 😉

One last thing I want to say, I don't take dust-up in here or any social media sites personally.  Well, except for one guy who seemed to be stalking me for a long long time.  But, I've met with people from social media sites after huge dust-ups and we actually had a great time, in person, and discussed our differences in a very civil manner.  I look forward, someday, to the same experience with some folks here.  THIS BOARD, ET AL, IS ENTERTAINMENT, or me, nothing more, nothing less.  

Regarding the 18% gratuity charged at the “Bionic Bar,” does anybody know if this is shared with the Lifeboat hoists, the Azipods and the Crane arm on the Northstar? Can I have it removed and just tip those appliances I feel have served me personally? I did once skip paying the trolley cart dispenser in the terminal and simply took an abandoned trolley that was lying around. No sooner was I outside than one of the wobbly wheels locked up and tipped (see what I did there?) my baggage all over the sidewalk! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, Vibe said:

For those who remove their tips and say they are going to tip and cash and really have no intention to tip at all:

DoorDash delivery driver appears to spit on delivery after being upset with tip (nbcnews.com)

This is beyond disgusting. First of all tips aren’t guaranteed, they should be earned. And anybody who thinks this is cute or justified falls in the same category as the delivery person.

If that happened to me, the video would go to DoorDash, the restaurant, and the local tv stations so the whole area will see what could be happening to them if they ordered food delivered. I’ve seen videos similar to this on a regular basis.

• Like 6

On 9/10/2023 at 5:57 PM, Ocean Boy said:

Oh but you forget about the people that spend their cruises camped out by Guest Services listening to everyone's business. They have told us time after time that most of the people in those lines are removing gratuities.... so it must be true.

This actually happened two weeks ago on my Anthem UK cruise. I was waiting in line and there was one American (or Canadian couple, hard for an European like me to tell the difference)  before me and they got upset that the person in front of them removed their tips. "Did you hear that!? She removed her auto gratuities!" The woman said to her partner. I actually also heard it since she was only a few steps away from us all in the line. Highly anecdotial but it still happened. Not that it matter though. Each to his own.

On cruises, my DW and I pay our standard gratuities and then give those who have made our experience memorable extra in envelops.  That’s been our choice.

On reflection, however, I believe the whole tipping culture in N.A. has gotten to the point of being ludicrous.

We’re in Toronto and now most take-out restaurants and coffee shops have the option for a tip presented when you pay electronically.  You have to decline it, if you choose, prior to paying.

For me, tipping used to mean the reward given for superior service.  This is a personal definition for me.  Over the years, this definition has broadened to include regular service in the recognition that most N.A. restaurants underpay their staff with the thought the staff will work harder to get good tips. 

I’d really like to see tipping going back to being for superior service.  

An interesting thought, what if CEOs such as Jason Liberty for Royal were given a nominal salary with the rest of their compensation made up of tips.  I bet the quality of the food in the MDR would go up markedly!  

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

An interesting thought, what if CEOs such as Jason Liberty for Royal were given a nominal salary with the rest of their compensation made up of tips.  I bet the quality of the food in the MDR would go up markedly!  

What's good for the goose should be good for the gander

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

On cruises, my DW and I pay our standard gratuities and then give those who have made our experience memorable extra in envelops.  That’s been our choice.

On reflection, however, I believe the whole tipping culture in N.A. has gotten to the point of being ludicrous.

We’re in Toronto and now most take-out restaurants and coffee shops have the option for a tip presented when you pay electronically.  You have to decline it, if you choose, prior to paying.

For me, tipping used to mean the reward given for superior service.  This is a personal definition for me.  Over the years, this definition has broadened to include regular service in the recognition that most N.A. restaurants underpay their staff with the thought the staff will work harder to get good tips. 

Not going to happen. To do just about anything cost money. The upper management team get bonuses based on profitability of the company. Currently some cruise lines are finally making a profit after a couple of years amassing a huge debt. They are currently sailing at over100%, or so they say, and pricing is through the roof. 

It’s only going to get worse, if after they get their debt down to a manageable level, if you think the quality is going to improve and pricing is going to stabilize, or drop, dream on.

Once they get their hands deep into your pocket it’s there forever. If enough people say enough is enough and quit sailing, to force their hand, this is the new normal

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

DW said she was presented the “gratuity prompt” at the self-check out register at the local grocery store recently. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

35 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Not going to happen. To do just about anything cost money. The upper management team get bonuses based on profitability of the company. Currently some cruise lines are finally making a profit after a couple of years amassing a huge debt. They are currently sailing at over100%, or so they say, and pricing is through the roof. 

It’s only going to get worse, if after they get their debt down to a manageable level, if you think the quality is going to improve and pricing is going to stabilize, or drop, dream on.

Once they get their hands deep into your pocket it’s there forever. If enough people say enough is enough and quit sailing, to force their hand, this is the new normal

Upper management bonuses based upon profitability!  That’s the image presented but scratch the surface and you’ll see a majority of senior execs are healthily compensated and bonused for barely mediocre results.  The best thing for consumers would be for new players to come into the market and introduce some competition on quality and pricing.  

Edited by Airbear232
Spelling
  • Like 1

The increasing demand for canceling gratuities is a direct response to RCI's over charging and poor management.  People are responding in the only way they have, by reducing the costs through reducing gratuities.  Maybe,  ut I doubt it, RCI "leadership" will realize their errors and returning to providing a good product by not cheapening it for passengers.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

Agree and good comment.  Of course, you do realize that Liberty gets a huge "tip" every year in the form of an annual bonus whether or not RCI does well, or not.

Just on tv, the city of Flagstaff Arizona released that their minimum wages would increase the first of the year. It will be $17.40 per hour. The new rate for tipped employees will be $15.90. This is based on tips and an hourly adjustment to get them up to the $15.90. They do this adjustment every year to somewhat cover at least part of inflation.

Why couldn’t the cruise lines do something similar? Answers obvious, just had to ask.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

DW said she was presented the “gratuity prompt” at the self-check out register at the local grocery store recently. 

At a grocery store!  That definitely crosses the line.   

9 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

At the self checkout no less.

Crazy stuff.  Other than odd change I might toss in the tip jar at the local coffee shop, I have stopped tipping for counter service.  Just tired of it.  

Going off course here, one of our local hardware stores asks if you want to round up credit card charges for a contribution to a local children's hospital. That I kind of like.  Last year they raised $92K.