A Syd Norman's question

ontheweb

We really enjoyed the band at Syd Norman's Pour House on our recent Prima cruise. I see they have Syd Norman's on a few more NCL ships. My question is is there a play list that all the bands that play Syd Norman's use or does each group decide what songs they play? Or maybe is it some combination which includes some songs but gives them the freedom to choose others?

• Like 1

I was on the Escape in March, I'm not sure if the first show (Rock the Pour House) was a predetermined set list.  The Second show was a beginning-to-end cover of Fleetwood Mac's album Rumours so that was set.  The last show was a "prom night" theme, that was a predetermined list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, hallux said:

I was on the Escape in March, I'm not sure if the first show (Rock the Pour House) was a predetermined set list.  The Second show was a beginning-to-end cover of Fleetwood Mac's album Rumours so that was set.  The last show was a "prom night" theme, that was a predetermined list.

Thanks. I did figure if the Rumors show was a regular part of the act, that would of course remain the same. But, I did wonder about the other shows, or even if Rumors was always a scheduled show.

I wonder if they always tell the same goofy prom stories.

Edited by ontheweb
added second paragraph

24 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Thanks. I did figure if the Rumors show was a regular part of the act, that would of course remain the same. But, I did wonder about the other shows, or even if Rumors was always a scheduled show.

I wonder if they always tell the same goofy prom stories.

It's loosely scripted, so I think it's more or less the same stories along with the video of the Captain.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

It's loosely scripted, so I think it's more or less the same stories along with the video of the Captain.

With it being on different ships, at least it should be different Captains. 🤣 

31 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

With it being on different ships, at least it should be different Captains. 🤣 

It may be.  I've only seen the Syd Norman's shows on one ship.  So, the others may indeed have different videos using the Capts of those different ships.

Never thought of that! 😉

For what it's worth - as people were filing out of the Rumours show on my March Escape cruise one of the people sitting near me exclaimed it was the best performance (of any kind, not just that show) he'd seen on any ship.  I'm not sure I'd go THAT far, but they were quite good!!

20 hours ago, hallux said:

Not to mention that the performers rotate out periodically...

as do the captains.

there are a number of videos used throughout the ship, including the “farewell” video that have to be updated when various senior officers depart… captain, cruise director, GM, etc.

as for syd’s… it’s virtually the same show, with the same playlists, on every ship. it is highly scripted.

2 hours ago, hallux said:

For what it's worth - as people were filing out of the Rumours show on my March Escape cruise one of the people sitting near me exclaimed it was the best performance (of any kind, not just that show) he'd seen on any ship.  I'm not sure I'd go THAT far, but they were quite good!!

NCL has a lot of good shows....this is just one of them.  And, I'd rank it as one of the top I've seen on a cruise ship.

Was thinking of this just last night.  On ALL cruise ships, these are my top 5, in order...

1.  Million Dollar Quartet

2. Choir of Man

3.  Syd's (all performances)

4.  Water Aerial Shows (Royal Oasis Class Ships)

5.  Jersey Boys

• Like 5

1 hour ago, reeinaz said:

The last time I saw Rock the Pour House, they played Come on Eileen, which is one of my favorite songs. It's the only song I can specifically remember that they played. 

I remember a few songs, Drift Away by Dobie Gray (I think that was my favorite of what they played), Takin' It to the Streets by the Doobie Brothers (they played this at 2 different shows), and Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears. If I thought hard enough, I might be able to come up with with more, but those 3 came to me off the top of my head.

58 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

NCL has a lot of good shows....this is just one of them.  And, I'd rank it as one of the top I've seen on a cruise ship.

Was thinking of this just last night.  On ALL cruise ships, these are my top 5, in order...

2. Choir of Man

5.  Jersey Boys

Like your list but the Aqua 80 show on the Oasis is amazing.  Would be tough for me to not put that at 1.  

18 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

Like your list but the Aqua 80 show on the Oasis is amazing.  Would be tough for me to not put that at 1.  

I get it.  It was a good show.  Number 1 would be a big stretch for me, though!  I drifted in and out of watching the water shows, depending on other things I wanted to do. That said, I saw the whole show, just in bits and pieces.  I knew I could come back and see other parts of the show.

I liked the stories behind the musical performances I listed.  They held my interest all the way through.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

2. Choir of Man

5.  Jersey Boys

I love your list!!

I just booked Getaway for next April and one of the reasons is because the shows will be new to me and I've heard great things.

Million Dollar Quartet always gets great reviews and is definitely up my alley and Syd's is someplace I might never leave. Lmao!! I love live music and it just sounds awesome.

Not to mention that Rumours was the first record I ever purchased in 1977. Yes I'm old!!!

Also, up until I go on Getaway, Choir of Man has been my favorite since I saw it the first time on Escape in the supper club in 2018 on my wife's birthday. And she got called up on stage to get serenaded to on the stool. One of my all time favorite cruise evenings!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

I love your list!!

I just booked Getaway for next April and one of the reasons is because the shows will be new to me and I've heard great things.

Million Dollar Quartet always gets great reviews and is definitely up my alley and Syd's is someplace I might never leave. Lmao!! I love live music and it just sounds awesome.

Not to mention that Rumours was the first record I ever purchased in 1977. Yes I'm old!!!

Also, up until I go on Getaway, Choir of Man has been my favorite since I saw it the first time on Escape in the supper club in 2018 on my wife's birthday. And she got called up on stage to get serenaded to on the stool. One of my all time favorite cruise evenings!

That’s great!  Make sure to remember to come back and let us know how you liked the shows!

24 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

That’s great!  Make sure to remember to come back and let us know how you liked the shows!

I usually do!

I did a review of Joy when I returned in July of this year and I really enjoyed there entertainment too.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

I love your list!!

We love @graphicguy's list too!  (Except, haven't been on Royal for years).

I think you'll appreciate the amazing talent of the Million $ Quartet cast.    If they have a 'Broadway Unplugged' night on your cruise, don't miss it!   The MDQ cast and some others onboard put on a wonderful performance.

And yes, we don't mind waiting in line to see the Syd Norman's crew on any ship.    I think we put our favorite list in order with MDQ #1, Syd's #2, and Choir of Man a very close #3😎   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

NCL pays royalties on the songs performed, so they can't just add them willy-nilly.

Rumors costs them a bunch, but is so popular it is worth it.

As some have said, the band and singers rotate around, so there is some variation based on the singers preferences and personal skills.  Probably 50 songs that they choose 30 from for each cruise, minus Rumors.

We thought Prom Night was silly, despite the music.

Both cruises we were on we left the inside portion and sat at the outside bar (with the outside speakers) for Prom Night.

8 hours ago, mexicobob said:

What night is The Rumors show usually scheduled? Did not want to reserve one of the speciality restaurants on that night. Thank you.

I don't remember which night, but they did it twice. I think it was on consecutive nights.

On 9/5/2023 at 9:27 AM, graphicguy said:

2. Choir of Man

5.  Jersey Boys

OK have not seen the aerial show (cancelled on our Allure trip)

My list: 

1--Syds (I admit it, I'm a groupie)

2--Choir of Man

3--We Will Rock You (Anthem of the Seas)

4--Million Dollar Quartet--just not my music (nor my parents), but I can appreciate it.

(Jersey Boys would be #3 had I seen it on a ship)

DD25 was with me on the Breakaway last month. She was "meh" about the regular Syd shows but she went NUTS for the Rumours show (which they had not done for months due to being down a guy). 

She said it is one of the top 5 albums of all times! Watched the 1st show...sat on Waterfront & listened to the 2nd show.

(last summer on Getaway I had a guy say he saw F. Mac in concert & the Syds show was as good as that!)

And THIS happened at prom: (yep that's me!) 

OF COURSE it was the 1 show DD opted out of, lol.

(WHY is it sideways??!! CC, ya need to figure this out...)

IMG_0404.jpg

• Like 3