Viking Upgrade Silliness

rbslos18

I noticed today that the rates for our upcoming November 2023 cruise had dropped. I called Viking and asked if I could upgrade to a higher category given the price differential from what we paid was $250.00 per person. The Viking agent said she would check into this. She came back and said we could upgrade our cabin but "the current prices shown on the Viking website are not accurate." The pricing in the Viking system were substantially more and the website had not been updated. I think I know the answer but...Does this make sense?

56 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

What do you think is the answer?

Your guess is as good as mine and both will probably be incorrect. Sometimes Viking's logic transcends the capacity of mere human mortals. There are a few  simple, logical answers--you are paid in full and no upgrades are available; we are not ready to sell this category as an upgrade at this time. But the website has incorrect pricing. That is among the least logical answers I can come up with.

1 hour ago, rbslos18 said:

I noticed today that the rates for our upcoming November 2023 cruise had dropped. I called Viking and asked if I could upgrade to a higher category given the price differential from what we paid was $250.00 per person. The Viking agent said she would check into this. She came back and said we could upgrade our cabin but "the current prices shown on the Viking website are not accurate." The pricing in the Viking system were substantially more and the website had not been updated. I think I know the answer but...Does this make sense?

I would call back & get someone else. Just give them the code on the recent new sale code (in a red circle that says   Ask For EBD or whatever  it says.) and see if you get the same answer. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

As far as I know, Viking does not allow you to upgrade at any new discounted price. They use the non-discounted price. Sounds like outsourced customer service making things up..

I think you are right. I could not figure out how she arrived at the price. The only explanation was this is the number in her computer and the posted price is not correct. I will re-ask the question as we get closer.

37 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Viking does not allow you to upgrade at any new discounted price.

☝️ This.

Viking treats repricing as a cancellation.  The only way to get their new promotional fares is to cancel and rebook.  Then you have to ask if the cancellation fees are worth the savings.  Prior to final payment when cancellation fee is $100pp, usually it's worth it.  After that, YMMV.

This is one of the biggest gripe I have with Viking.  Treat Viking like an airline.  Best not to check the fares after final payment date.

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/2-230626_BookingAndSaleTermsAndConditions.pdf

Cancellation fees also will apply to changes to departure date; substitutions of itinerary; substitution of another person for original booked passenger(s); and changes to a promotional fare.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Selion said:

☝️ This.

Viking treats repricing as a cancellation.  The only way to get their new promotional fares is to cancel and rebook.  Then you have to ask if the cancellation fees are worth the savings.  Prior to final payment when cancellation fee is $100pp, usually it's worth it.  After that, YMMV.

This is one of the biggest gripe I have with Viking.  Treat Viking like an airline.  Best not to check the fares after final payment date.

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/2-230626_BookingAndSaleTermsAndConditions.pdf

Cancellation fees also will apply to changes to departure date; substitutions of itinerary; substitution of another person for original booked passenger(s); and changes to a promotional fare.

Agreed. I tried again and got a fairly reasonable answer. I was told that Viking doesn't sell category upgrades to booked passengers. He also said the posted prices are correct but are for new bookings only. That does make sense but they lose out on hooking people with larger more expensive staterooms. Once a person is paid in full they clearly and understandably have the upper hand!

Just now, rbslos18 said:

That does make sense but they lose out on hooking people with larger more expensive staterooms. Once a person is paid in full they clearly and understandably have the upper hand!

Tell me about it.  Viking's the only cruise that refused to take more of our money in exchange for a bigger stateroom after final payment date.  Instead of me saying "Shut up and take my money!", Viking is telling me "Shut up and sit down!"

• Like 6

And sometimes the price increases after you book, as it has on our “Greenland, Iceland, Norway and Beyond”. After reading the above posts, I checked our cruise and discovered the cost for our booking would be almost $3000 more! I think this is the first time this has happened to us…..definitely not complaining!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Selion said:

☝️ This.

You’ve explained this very well, as I understand it. The most extreme case of the “substitution of another person” comment is if your cabin-mate passes away prior to the cruise, but yo7 still want to go. Viking’s policies do not always match other cruise lines’.

They also won’t let you change your initial booking country and currency, even if you move.  They’ll change your address on file, but your booking will still always match your residence at the time of booking.

Better yet, online, the credit card section and the ACH section will always default to that initial country and there is no way to change them.  Meaning you need to make sure you always have a bank account or credit card with an address in that initial country if you want to be able to pay online.  So, as I’ve discovered, you would lose any ability to make payments for ANYTHING online and would have to call in to make all payments, including not just final payment but also shore excursions.

Your only option for changing your country of booking would be to cancel, pay the penalties, and then rebook at whatever the current rate is…they will not price protect or help you out in any way.

The moral of this story is to book the cabin and date you want at a price you are content with, and not only don’t look at the website prices again but don’t move countries before your cruise.  Basically, whatever you book with is what you have to live with.  

It’s a good thing for them that the onboard experience is so good, because their booking policies stink to high heaven.

Edited by bookbabe
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Selion said:

☝️ This.

Well stated

In my limited 2+ years of V experience:  many, but not all, cruises are discounted or go on promo closer in to sailing.

Just check the "Post Viking Promos" topic.

As many other pax say, if you want a specific itin, date and cabin, at a fare you think reasonable, book early, and don't look back.

• Like 1

As mentioned, I treat Viking like an airline ticket.  Once it’s booked, I don’t look back.  

Sometime prices go down, sometimes up.  We have a cruise booked next year that is sold out and considerably more than when I originally booked it.  I only looked back because we were going to try to book my MIL on the cruise.   It all evens out at the end.

Edited by Mich3554
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 8:22 AM, rbslos18 said:

On 9/4/2023 at 8:22 AM, rbslos18 said:

We were scheduled to sail in 2021 and got cancelled due to Covid. Viking rebooked us for 2022. While on the land portion before the cruise, we had several excursions that masks or social distancing were not enforced. On the way to the ship, the entire bus stopped for testing. Unfortunately my wife tested positive for Covid and we had to miss the cruise. We were booked to go in 2023. Unfortunately, my wife had some medical issues right before the cruise and we had to cancel. When I contacted Viking I was rudely told that a voucher cannot be reissued and we were out of luck. I told them I know Viking has made exceptions in the past for extenuating circumstances. I was told again rudely, we were out of luck. We have been good customers and have two additional cruises scheduled. I have read of unhappy customers in the past, but we have always been treated fairly in the past. I guess we are now on the list of disgruntled customers. It would sure be great to see Viking review this and make it right!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cheesehead56 said:

We were scheduled to sail in 2021 and got cancelled due to Covid. Viking rebooked us for 2022. While on the land portion before the cruise, we had several excursions that masks or social distancing were not enforced. On the way to the ship, the entire bus stopped for testing. Unfortunately my wife tested positive for Covid and we had to miss the cruise. We were booked to go in 2023. Unfortunately, my wife had some medical issues right before the cruise and we had to cancel. When I contacted Viking I was rudely told that a voucher cannot be reissued and we were out of luck. I told them I know Viking has made exceptions in the past for extenuating circumstances. I was told again rudely, we were out of luck. We have been good customers and have two additional cruises scheduled. I have read of unhappy customers in the past, but we have always been treated fairly in the past. I guess we are now on the list of disgruntled customers. It would sure be great to see Viking review this and make it right!

Have you emailed tellus@viking.com? They seem to be fairly well trained. Viking's Customer Service is a work in progress. It has not caught up to where it was pre-COVID.

• Like 2

Let's just say that Viking has some of the least customer-friendly policies in the industry.  They have a product where they feel they can charge a high tariff, demand full payment far in advance of other lines, have punitive policies for rebooking, and believe that the correct answer to any inquiry is "No, that is not possible.  Sit down and be happy we allow you on the ship."

Other than that....

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Cheesehead56 said:

What does your situation have to do with this thread?

That said, you are not the only one who got burnt by Viking's voucher.  At this point all I can say is I hope you have travel insurance, and not through Tripmate.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Our price dropped by $4000 pp 2 months prior to the cruise on an expedition ship.  So, heads up if you are planning on booking an expedition cruise with Viking don’t book too early!!  Was offered  $100 OBC as compensation.  Poor customer retention.  This is my 6th cruise with Viking. I love their ships, crew, and experience but I’ll be looking at other cruise lines now.  I know they are within their T&Cs but $100 OBC when the price dropped that much is insulting.  If you just want to travel & don’t need a specific room, wait & book later.