Live From Regatta 07 Sept. - 20 Sept. 2023 Alaska to California Medley - Vancouver to LA

FetaCheese

6 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Ha…..nice try.

Costs such as that are covered by the mandatory SM package we now pay with new bookings.

So, if we have already paid, through mandatory SM, why is a second fee, corkage, also charged ?
As one of this forum’s wine experts recently posted….. by the glass selection is “poor to mediocre at best”.

Where is the incentive to provide better choices ? ( rhetorical ).

VineyardView is absolutely correct. SM includes the old House Select Program of a small selection of wine-by-the-glass at meals. Folks with that program (or with Prestige package) paid corkage for their personal bottles then, pay corkage for them now and will continue to pay the corkage when SM starts on 10/1/23.

All you SM fare is paying for is the provision of the package wine (including glassware and service - ONLY for that wine).

As always, we all will continue to pay for any personal wine taken out of our cabin in a bottle or in a glass. It’s $25 for each personal bottle used.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

5 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

….Today the Regatta is sailing the Hubbard glacier and we have beautiful weather and very calm seas.  Upon boarding, in our cabin was the latest shorex booklet.  An additional tour was added, a 2-hour catamaran sailing in the Hubbard glacier to look for wildlife.  Flatbush is taking tour, so maybe he will report back on how it was.

Motoring Cat -not sailing.

“Up close and personal” at the Hubbard Glacier. 
FWIW, in 2013 (or 14?), we got this close on Regatta itself! But the ship today does not get that close.

In any case, each time we’ve done it, it was spectacular.

F70EDF08-E3F2-4708-B0FC-50059AD13960.jpeg

179AC642-5C55-436E-B6B8-381067333CCD.jpeg

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

FWIW, in 2013 (or 14?), we got this close on Regatta itself! But the ship today does not get that close.

Yes, we wondered about that on the previous cruise that ended last Thursday.  (I think you were aboard, no?)  Stopped way farther out than in 2018.  Granted, this time it was a drizzly day with low overcast and an earlier offshore fog bank that we had to crawl through, but viz was good once the glacier was (barely) in sight with no significant floating ice visible.  

Not surprisingly, no explanation was provided as to why the ship stopped so far away -- though one could surmise it had more to do with profit from a tour boat than with SOLAS.  JMO.

Edited by DrHemlock

21 minutes ago, DrHemlock said:

Yes, we wondered about that on the previous cruise that ended last Thursday.  (I think you were aboard, no?)  Stopped way farther out than in 2018.  Granted, this time it was a drizzly day with low overcast and an earlier offshore fog bank that we had to crawl through, but viz was good once the glacier was (barely) in sight with no significant floating ice visible.  

Not surprisingly, no explanation was provided as to why the ship stopped so far away -- though one could surmise it had more to do with profit from a tour boat than with SOLAS.  JMO.

We were on Regent Mariner last August and were pretty close. The ship turned around several times for better views. It was incredible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, DrHemlock said:

Or --more likely-- the likelihood of non-trivial waves from glacier calving events.  JMNSHO  😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Or --more likely-- the likelihood of non-trivial waves from glacier calving events.  JMNSHO  😉

I'm certainly no expert in this field, but we were there a few years ago and the glacier was doing serious calving. We were also fairly close to it. SO, not sure waves would be the reason, although I also don't believe it's something as nefarious as just wanting to sell tours. Maybe environmental regulations?

1 hour ago, DrHemlock said:

Yes - we were onboard for Hubbard last week too. 
It’s late in the season with a lot of floating ice (including calved parts that are underwater) inside the tide line. And Regatta stayed outbound of that tide line last week and this week.

You may have noticed/heard that most of the Alaska tour boats are custom built and have reinforced metal hulls. And, you can hear the stuff that you can’t see as the tour boats encounter them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I'm certainly no expert in this field, but we were there a few years ago and the glacier was doing serious calving. We were also fairly close to it. SO, not sure waves would be the reason, although I also don't believe it's something as nefarious as just wanting to sell tours. Maybe environmental regulations?

I'd not sneer at environmental regs or insurance clauses being the reason, but the slope of the nearshore affects the rate at which the "ripple" dampens.    So, as the real estate folks say, could be "Location, location, location".

Added thought: The presence of growlers (truck-sized floating ice), ready to slice hull, could also factor in.  None of O's ships hold an ice class rating.

GDR 2nd Dinner

Last night we returned to GDR, to give them another try, after TC the prior night.

It was the GDR experience that we remember from our prior O cruises.  Arrived at 7:30, and quickly seated.  Excellent service from waiter.  I had crab cakes for app.  Really very tasty, if a bit spicier that those served in Polo.  Lobster bisque was also very nice, and the right portion size.  (1st GDR dinner soup was a very small portion).

Wife had lamb curry.  Was specially made by chef, due to food allergy.  (Was served on a blue china plate, not reg white).  Really enjoyed her meal.

We shared a cheese plate, which had 3 types, all very nice.

I'm happy to say that waiters and rest mgr were very accommodating and concerned re wife's food allergy.

Overall, the meal and experience were A+,  and also service was nicely paced to our liking.  (1st GDR dinner was just an off night, that sometimes occurs).

Going back again tonight, with our friends from Australia.  

Today were tendered in to Sitka.  Went out on our own and enjoyed the morning and afternoon in the town. 

Didn't remember from before, that ship has a very fine tendering platform, deck 3 Fwd., that allows easy, level access to lifeboat from ship.  As always, friendly, capable crew is always there to safely assist all pax.

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

@FetaCheese thoroughly enjoying the updates, thanks for taking the time to pen them. 

How have you felt O deal with your wife’s allergy?  My wife is gluten free (intolerant) and sometimes it can be drama just getting GF bread. On occasion we’ve been told the dish can be modified by which they mean removing the food containing gluten. She ends up with half a dish at full price!

I must stress the above are not experiences with O -  two separate incidences at top notch European hotels that spring to mind. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DJP31 said:

@FetaCheese thoroughly enjoying the updates, thanks for taking the time to pen them. 

How have you felt O deal with your wife’s allergy?  My wife is gluten free (intolerant) and sometimes it can be drama just getting GF bread. On occasion we’ve been told the dish can be modified by which they mean removing the food containing gluten. She ends up with half a dish at full price!

I must stress the above are not experiences with O -  two separate incidences at top notch European hotels that spring to mind. 

You should have your TA notify O of the allergy, and mention it again onboard.  If what is served seems too small, ask for a second serving or a double serving.

But not sure what you mean by full price, since all restaurants are included in the cruise price.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DJP31 said:

I am celiac and O has done a great job with GF for me. There may be times that my pre-selection comes back as 'unable to accomodate' but that is perhaps 1 dish every 10 or 14 days, and they don't just leave stuff off to make it compliant.

Not sure about GF bread at Terrace (I don't tend to ask), it's easy at sit-down restaurants. Sometimes they have GF pizza available but you have to arrange ahead by talking with the chef so not sure it's always an option. There are GF pancakes available in GDR, but the server may not know this.

Terrace experience is most variable, some chefs will happily walk me through the buffet each meal and others I ask each server if something is (or is not) GF.

The biggest gap has been food for wine tasting events, it has been better lately but that's the most likely place where even checking ahead of time may not result in a GF version waiting for me. They've always responded if there wasn't, but it's the most hassle I've faced to get GF.

Overall very good GF experience on O

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Today we are docked in Prince Rupert Canada. Returned to our cabin from breakfast to a very pleasant surprise.  

The tote bag is very nice, as are the ball caps. Was not expecting two of each item.IMG_20230914_113432113.thumb.jpg.409f0bbc8f71b55d4392d4b147577df0.jpg

Nice gifts.  Did everyone receive them?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Today we are docked in Prince Rupert Canada. Returned to our cabin from breakfast to a very pleasant surprise.  

The tote bag is very nice, as are the ball caps. Was not expecting two of each item.IMG_20230914_113432113.thumb.jpg.409f0bbc8f71b55d4392d4b147577df0.jpg

We just got our Bronze gifts this trip too.  The totes will come in handy as carryon bags since we’re shipping luggage home 😊.  Oceania does a pretty good job with milestone gifts.  HAL just gives out pins until you get way, way up in status unless that has changed.  Biggest perk is the OBC going forward and increasing over time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

No, on this cruise, 5th O, we attained Bronze Level in O club.  These gifts are presented upon reaching that level.

Bronze level also receives a bottle of cab sauv wine, and USD $100 OBC.

Congrats!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1