Blue Lane + Platinum level + Priority Boarding = ?

CoffeeBoy

Have a client boarding a cruise tomorrow in Southampton. His grandson was going to help him with the medallion and checking in online two months ago...turns out none of that happened. So I dropped by his place and got the app on his phone, checked him in on everything, but of course he's Blue Lane and must pick up his medallion.

He's Platinum level in the Captain's Circle so should get Priority Boarding and access to the lounge, but how does that work with Blue Lane? Thanks for any details.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoffeeBoy said:

Have a client boarding a cruise tomorrow in Southampton. His grandson was going to help him with the medallion and checking in online two months ago...turns out none of that happened. So I dropped by his place and got the app on his phone, checked him in on everything, but of course he's Blue Lane and must pick up his medallion.

He's Platinum level in the Captain's Circle so should get Priority Boarding and access to the lounge, but how does that work with Blue Lane? Thanks for any details.

It should be pretty straightforward, we were blue lane for our Island Princess cruise last month from Southampton, we're Elite level. There was a separate queue for Elite and Platinum (which was empty as we arrived) and we were ushered straight to a desk for check-in. Less than 5 mins later we've got our medallions and we're moved towards the priority lounge, although that was packed out.15 mins later through security and onboard the ship. Couldn't have been smoother, and lots of Princess reps around to point you in the right direction if needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, traceytd said:

Does that mean we can show up anytime?

Princess removed the arrivals groups, meaning you can arrive whenever you wish.  This is the check in.

The “boarding times” were not removed.  Check your Travel summary, it will show your boarding time for ship.  You may

board starting the time shown up to 90 minutes before sailing. Check the Travel Summary for any exceptions.

Check in and boarding times are two different things.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

Princess removed the boarding times.

No, they removed the arrival groups or the time you check

in at the port. You may arrive at the most convenient time for you.

Boarding time is different than check in times. Boarding time is shown on your Travel Summary.

• Like 1

When will people realize that BLUE and GREEN lanes have absolutely nothing to do with boarding??? It depends on whether or not you have a medallion before entering the terminal.  They simply identify the lanes you get into in order to check in to the ship.  Once you've done that everybody has their medallion and the regular boarding process resumes as it always has.  Those with priority (Elite, Platinum, Suites) get priority and those that don't have priority get assigned a number.  Blue lanes and green lanes wind up in the same group with the same number.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

Boarding time is different than check in times. Boarding time is shown on your Travel Summary

But that is partially fake news.  Pay attention to the LATEST time to board, but ignore the START time if you intend to be on the ship ASAP.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CoffeeBoy said:

That sounds promising. Did you show up at the time the app said, or is that requirement waived for Platinum / Elite?

As you have read, there are no more set groups and times, but for historical recording, those times generally meant nothing and Suites, Elites, Platinum, Reserve Class could certainly have considered them waived.

• Like 1

...medallion order. Poor octogenarian gentleman has glaucoma and hearing loss; there was no way he could do it on his own.

I really, really, REALLY wish cruise lines would give travel agents a way to complete all of these things online for their clients. In 20 years it won't be a problem, but now? I have many elderly clients. Requiring an app to complete all steps is short-sighted.

Edited by CoffeeBoy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CoffeeBoy said:

Requiring an app to complete all steps is short-sighted.

But the app is not required to complete all steps. You can show up at the pier with your passport and travel summary and they will do the rest right there.

You may miss out on some of the conveniences offered by the new way of doing things, but the app is not required.

In principle, I agree with you though. Traditionally, the travel agent's purpose was to complete these sort of administrative tasks on behalf of their clients. Maybe big box TAs have changed this landscape too?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Outerdog said:

But the app is not required to complete all steps. You can show up at the pier with your passport and travel summary and they will do the rest right there.

You may miss out on some of the conveniences offered by the new way of doing things, but the app is not required.

In principle, I agree with you though. Traditionally, the travel agent's purpose was to complete these sort of administrative tasks on behalf of their clients. Maybe big box TAs have changed this landscape too?

It is mandatory to do the check in process at least 90 minutes prior to sailing, whether you use the downloaded App, the website version of the App or at the port, due to Government security requirements.

So, it is nice if a TA can help them check in, or friends & family. Just makes things a little smoother on sailing day and less stressful.

If they arrived early on sailing day, then there would be no problem for PCL to enter everything for them.  I would say about 2 hours before sailing, if possible.

The problem has been with the functionality and the App not being user friendly.  It is much better now, but still has many issues.

22 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

If they arrived early on sailing day, then there would be no problem for PCL to enter everything for them.

I just would not want to be in line behind one of those guests.  Yikes.  They should have added a Red Lane for folks who need everything done at the port.  LOL.

15 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I just would not want to be in line behind one of those guests.  Yikes.  They should have added a Red Lane for folks who need everything done at the port.  LOL.

You wouldn’t be, because you get there at dawn. 🤣

Just kidding!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, CoffeeBoy said:

...medallion order. Poor octogenarian gentleman has glaucoma and hearing loss; there was no way he could do it on his own.

I really, really, REALLY wish cruise lines would give travel agents a way to complete all of these things online for their clients. In 20 years it won't be a problem, but now? I have many elderly clients. Requiring an app to complete all steps is short-sighted.

You can do the check-in info on the website also. Doesn't have to be done via an app.

With your clients booking confirmation number and last name, you can complete their online check-in via the website for them - presuming you had their personal info, ie ID number, etc.  

Or, it can be the good old fashioned way - they arrive at port with their paperwork and the check-in agent does it for them. May take 7 minutes instead of 2, but it's easy peasy..

As medallions aren't delivered to UK as yet, that part is a non-issue anyway... 

5 hours ago, scili said:

Don't count on priority boarding and the lounge at least for Platinum.  We are platinum members but were denied access by PCL staff at Brooklyn Cruise Terminal NYC in august, the staff said that it was for elite only!!

This is correct IMO.  Platinum members should have a separate waiting area and are called to board following the Suites and Elites.  I don't see why Brooklyn should be different than Florida and other departure ports.  There is no actual "lounge" by the way - at least not my vision of a lounge and not like an airline lounge for FF's.

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2023 at 8:19 PM, CoffeeBoy said:

The wonky app has only served to complicate the booking and cruising process, if one buys into it as a necessity or convenience. I'm getting frightfully close to being an octogenarian, and I'm fairly tech savvy but I have little patience for tech that requires too much work for the "convenience".

For my next cruise I'm going full Luddite and just showing up at the pier when I feel like it with my paperwork and passport in hand.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1