Rome - Pre Cruise on TA

tw67

This past week we booked a TA for November of '25 for our 35th wedding anniversary. Since it is so early I can't find any of this information on the HAL website yet, so I was hoping that cruise critic people could help me out. We are thinking of flying in 3 days pre cruise so we can tour Rome and get used to the time change. I see that HAL does offer pre cruise tours, but since this cruise is more than 2 years away, I can't see anything. Can I expect there to be groups that we can join, or will we be totally on our own? If we book airfare with HAL, will that be helpful to getting tours with others? Any place I can look for information will also be helpful. I am excited about our first HAL cruise, even if it is more than 2 years away!  Thanks for any and all advice!  

Start a roll call and maybe there will be someone on there who likes to organize private excursions which are smaller, cheaper and better than the cruise line's.

Check the ports of call section on CC.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/464-italy-ports/

Civitivecchia (port area) is a ways from the city.  We have taken the train to the port but others like Rome in limo.

We are about to sail on our first HAL in less than 4 weeks so we are first timers too.  This is also for our anniversary...56th!

Bon Voyage and enjoy Rome.  It's a lovely city with much to see. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TeaBag said:

Start a roll call and maybe there will be someone on there who likes to organize private excursions which are smaller, cheaper and better than the cruise line's.

Check the ports of call section on CC.

Civitivecchia (port area) is a ways from the city.  We have taken the train to the port but others like Rome in limo.

We are about to sail on our first HAL in less than 4 weeks so we are first timers too.  This is also for our anniversary...56th!

Bon Voyage and enjoy Rome.  It's a lovely city with much to see. 

I looked and didn't see a roll call yet, but I could start one. I have gotten so used to Carnival and very few people actually using the roll call feature!  I didn't think of the ports section (no idea why not except that the thought of this cruise has me so overwhelmed for so many reasons!) I had heard that there is a train, and we aren't against using it, but will leave our options open. 

Thank you for the ideas!  I hope you enjoy your first HAL and happy anniversary!  56 years is a reason to celebrate!  

In general I find the pre- or post-cruise tours offered by the cruise lines to be poor value. They charge you quite a bit more for the hotel room than booking it yourself, and often the hotels used a not in the optimal location if you like to walk around and see things on your own. (I realize you will likely want tours, but even in the evening or morning it is nice to be able to walk around in a central area rather than being far away from the main beautiful areas of the city.)

I would suggest you do some reading on the Italy Ports of Call forum here. Quite a bit of information on Rome and there are very helpful posters who will provide ideas and suggestions for best hotels in various locations, how to book tours and "skip the line" reservations for sites, etc. The forum is here:  

I am currently planning my 15th visit to Rome -- 6 days in November 2023. November is a great time to visit Rome as the crowds are significantly less of a factor than in the peak summer months (which now seem to include September and at least half of October!). You do have to plan for the fact that you could have some rain -- not full-on driving rain, usually, but some showery days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

In general I find the pre- or post-cruise tours offered by the cruise lines to be poor value. They charge you quite a bit more for the hotel room than booking it yourself, and often the hotels used a not in the optimal location if you like to walk around and see things on your own. (I realize you will likely want tours, but even in the evening or morning it is nice to be able to walk around in a central area rather than being far away from the main beautiful areas of the city.)

I would suggest you do some reading on the Italy Ports of Call forum here. Quite a bit of information on Rome and there are very helpful posters who will provide ideas and suggestions for best hotels in various locations, how to book tours and "skip the line" reservations for sites, etc. The forum is here:  

I am currently planning my 15th visit to Rome -- 6 days in November 2023. November is a great time to visit Rome as the crowds are significantly less of a factor than in the peak summer months (which now seem to include September and at least half of October!). You do have to plan for the fact that you could have some rain -- not full-on driving rain, usually, but some showery days.

Thank you! I am not big on cruise line excursions in the Caribbean, so I figured the same with pre cruise in Europe. I also tend to be a control freak, so I would like to control my hotels, etc. I have watched many of my friends visit Rome this past summer, and the heat was unbearable. I will take a little rain for the cooler weather!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tw67 said:

I have gotten so used to Carnival and very few people actually using the roll call feature

The TA roll calls are some of the most active on the HAL boards.  Just have a look at this years roll calls or next years.  Hundred of posts and many people sharing ideas and tours.

Welcome to HAL and so glad you have selected your 35th Anniversary Cruise.  Congratulations in advance!  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

The TA roll calls are some of the most active on the HAL boards.  Just have a look at this years roll calls or next years.  Hundred of posts and many people sharing ideas and tours.

Welcome to HAL and so glad you have selected your 35th Anniversary Cruise.  Congratulations in advance!  

Thank you!!  

Good thing you have plenty of time to sort out your time in Rome. It can overwhelm so taking it in small personally selected bites is recommended.

Do you want to see ancient Rome, historic Rome, Renaissance Rome, modern Rome, religious Rome, operatic Rome, movie set Rome, WWII Rome............ 

Answer, all of the above is just not possible. Pick maybe 3-5 must see's and concentrate on them and be open to what also opens up along the way. It is a wonderful city and will call you back. Tread carefully at first. You do have time to sort this out. So dive in. 

Might want to start with Rick Steve's Mediterranean Cruise Ports travel guide - he offers good suggestions how to deal with shorter visits in some of these remarkable cities.

• Thanks 1

We have cruised out of Civitivecchia (port area) over 6 times. We have found that taking a private transportation service from Rome to the port being the less stressful method. I suggest searching post by @cruisemom42. She has so much info on visiting Rome from hotel locations, dining and excursion sites often missed by most travelers. We have stayed a number of times at the Lancelot Hotel which is in located 1-2 blocks from the Colosium and a number of small restaurants, shops, pharmacy within 2-6 blocks. Great family owed hotel with beautiful terraces and comfortable rooms. Have a great cruise and enjoy Rome.

• Thanks 2

Welcome to HAL @tw67 and @TeaBag!!

DH and I are doing first R/T Rome end of next month then end Nov I'm doing first TA Rome->FLL w/friend. So looks like we're all in here together looking to learn a lot. 😊

You really should start a roll call - we have found several independent tours on ours. I'm not on FB, but understand that has also been a great resource for people. Having a couple years to nail it down, you've got plenty of time for fellow cruisers to find you and make plans.

I haven't used HALs pre or post cruise hotels - they've just seemed really high to me. We're also arriving 3 days prior to sailing & booked a hotel near Termini so we could be near transit. We used American Airlines to book the hotel. We had options to pre-pay or book and pay at check-in; there were many options in many areas.

HAL excursions will be for during the cruise only, so you will be on your own for anything before or after. Exception being some offerings for short excursions bundled w/airport transfer.

Happy Anniversary!! Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1

We find Rome (and much of Italy) a very tourist friendly country.  Even if HAL does offer a pre-cruise hotel package (which would probably include transfers) it will likely cost you about double the price of simply booking your own hotels and doing your own transfers.  For transfers (from airport to hotel and hotel to port) you can simply grab a taxi, or pre-book one of the decent local transfer/tour companies such as Romecabs.com or Romeinlimo.com.  

As to dealing with Rome, you can either do your homework and do things on your own, or you could book local tours (online of through your hotel).  There is also a lot of good info right here on CC and quite a few of us are happy to answer any question.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If you want the quasi tour experience you could book your own hotels, your own transfers (Rome cabs mentioned above has an excellent reputation among cruise critic members) and then book private excursions through the various websites.  The Rome forum here on cruise critic  has tons of resources too. 

I have used the HAL experience in South America and have been very pleased with the value and quality but South America is a totally different experience with many more safety concerns.  I do Europe on my own. 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

We are going to Rome for the first time this November for 3 days pre-cruise (TA HAL NS) - booked flights through HAL, booked the Hotel Lancelot (small family owned hotel w good reviews on CC) and 3 tours through Viator (Food tour, golf cart tour of Rome highlights, and an early AM Vatican tour) - also booked transfer to port with Viator.  Good luck with your planning!

FWIW, We have stayed at the Hotel Kolbe twice before different cruises.  It is located right along side of the forum and is a short walk to many attractions.  We have also used Rome Cabs and found them to be extremely reliable and reasonably priced.

https://www.kolbehotelrome.com/

PS: The hotel has an excellent garden restaurant for dinner

Edited by I like vacation
add
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Cruisermom42, we will also be in Rome in Nov.  From Nov. 6 to 13. If your dates overlap with ours, I would love to meet you for a drink or lunch, (My treat). If interested, email me,  Link below my name.

Terri

8 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Cruisermom42, we will also be in Rome in Nov.  From Nov. 6 to 13. If your dates overlap with ours, I would love to meet you for a drink or lunch, (My treat). If interested, email me,  Link below my name.

Terri

Hi Terri -- thanks for the lovely invitation; I'd be delighted to meet you but my dates in Rome are at the end of the month. I always seem to be there either just before, on, or after Thanksgiving. 

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Hi Terri -- thanks for the lovely invitation; I'd be delighted to meet you but my dates in Rome are at the end of the month. I always seem to be there either just before, on, or after Thanksgiving. 

I’m sorry our dates don’t coincide.  It would have been nice to meet.  Maybe another time.

Terri

• Like 1