Booking a cruise onboard.

TowandaUK

Newbie question

I know that if you book another cruise onboard that you can book with a much lower deposit, I think I read £175 per person?

Are there any other benefits to booking onboard such as extra obc?  Is it possible to pay a deposit and have it applied to a cruise at a later date?

We received also with OBC, free alternative speciality meal certificate and free Champagne High Tea Service.

Alternative used lunch in Verandah Steak House and Champagne Tea during middle of the sailing which was a really treat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, TowandaUK said:

Newbie question

I know that if you book another cruise onboard that you can book with a much lower deposit, I think I read £175 per person?

Are there any other benefits to booking onboard such as extra obc?  Is it possible to pay a deposit and have it applied to a cruise at a later date?

You can book a cruise with a low deposit and transfer it once to another cruise of equal or greater value.

You can't 'bank' a deposit, as such if that's what you were asking.

• Thanks 1

UK terms and conditions are not the same as for other markets so offers may not be comparable. When I booked a few weeks ago it was a low deposit of 175 p p and the extra OBC was offered according to cabin grade and length of cruise. For longer cruises there was also a 3% discount offered. For 9 days single ocean view  I received an extra 100$ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you use a travel agent, the on-board booking will be transferred to that person if you wish.  I made a  booking on board the QE a couple of months ago. When the transaction was completed the rep. said she already transferred it to my agent.  Usually I am asked, but it might have been apparent that I have been using the same person for a long time.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

We e found booking onboard advantageous. Perks and good pricing, as mentioned above, are significantly better, so we wait to book while on board.

As long as any cabin you want will still  be available. If you have specific cabins in mind, it's best to book as soon as itineraries are released. You lose out on the onboard booking perks, but you're guaranteed the cabin you want.

• Like 3

As long as any cabin you want will still  be available. If you have specific cabins in mind, it's best to book as soon as itineraries are released. You lose out on the onboard booking perks, but you're guaranteed the cabin you want.

And sometimes prices rise quite considerably on popular cruises.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2023 at 3:50 PM, Winifred 22 said:

UK terms and conditions are not the same as for other markets so offers may not be comparable. When I booked a few weeks ago it was a low deposit of 175 p p and the extra OBC was offered according to cabin grade and length of cruise. For longer cruises there was also a 3% discount offered. For 9 days single ocean view  I received an extra 100$ 

Nothing to do with differing markets. FCDs were available to purchase by everyone onboard but suddenly since the pandemic they stopped selling them to UK cruiser's. It is a case of Cunard treating US cruisers better than UK cruiser's. It is the same as free drinks packages and gratuities in grills which we also don't get in UK. Main reason why we are doing less cruising with Cunard and not booking any new cruises in grills.

May aboard the QM2 appointments with the Sales Reps were handled thru the Purser Desk.

I asked the purser for an appt to purchase an FCD . Guy said don’t bother as FCD’s were no longer available.

Upon returning home and monitoring Cruise Critic , guests were still purchasing FCD with the OBC benefit.

Contacted Cunard World Club and was able to purchase the FCD several days after debarkation 

as I was not the first to report misinformation onboard .

• Like 1

On 9/17/2023 at 10:53 AM, majortom10 said:

Nothing to do with differing markets. FCDs were available to purchase by everyone onboard but suddenly since the pandemic they stopped selling them to UK cruiser's. It is a case of Cunard treating US cruisers better than UK cruiser's.

I've never seen FCDs available to US passengers on Cunard. Future bookings for a specific itinerary, yes (and I believe those were transferable to a different itinerary). I have bought FCDs on Princess and Holland America. If Cunard makes/made them available to US passengers it is/was a well-kept secret.

I'd be happy to see whether Americans are still privileged when I'm on QM2 in Novermber if you'd like.

Edited by Underwatr

35 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

I've never seen FCDs available to US passengers on Cunard. Future bookings for a specific itinerary, yes (and I believe those were transferable to a different itinerary). I have bought FCDs on Princess and Holland America. If Cunard makes/made them available to US passengers it is/was a well-kept secret.

I'd be happy to see whether Americans are still privileged when I'm on QM2 in Novermber if you'd like.

Americans are still privileged. Buying them isn't our issue. Finding an opportunity to use them, that's the problem.

Edited by fourmile.ranch
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 6:16 PM, Underwatr said:

Because our bookings are handled by the U.S. office, Canadians get the same benefit as Americans. I remember when Cunard used to advertise the availability of FCDs in the daily programme. Now, you have to know they are available. So lately, as Underwatr said, they are a well-kept secret.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

Because our bookings are handled by the U.S. office, Canadians get the same benefit as Americans. I remember when Cunard used to advertise the availability of FCDs in the daily programme. Now, you have to know they are available. So lately, as Underwatr said, they are a well-kept secret.

It is a well kept secret because Cunard are trying unsuccessfully that FCDs are no longer available to anyone which is a total fabrication by Cunard. They know it upsets UK cruiser's that they can no longer purchase them while others can. Another case of Cunard treating it's customers in the UK poorly compared to others. No FCDs and also no drinks packages and free gratuities if you book grills suite.

@babs135

My view from this side of the pond is many US cruise fans don’t have Cunard on top of their list because of so few Cunard sightings here. No Cunard sailings from the largest cruise port in Miami and we rarely see QV/QE here, especially in NYC area. Most cruisers here look at QM2 as only TA’s. NY’ers love seeing QM2 sailing out of the harbor but that’s about it. Yes, QE goes to Alaska but HAL and Princess seem to own that market. 
IMO, Cunard is providing an incentive for the US cruise market, especially for Grills packages to gain brand recognition here. 
Cunard voyages are very UK and Euro centered.  Many too Mediterranean centered too with fly cruises. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 3