Rogueperson's **LIVE** Jewel of the Seas 9/14/2023 - 9/28/2023.

Rogueperson

39 minutes ago, bunzini said:

We were on the Jewel cruise before yours.  Loved Qaqortoq on the cruise before yours and loved it.  Also, in regards to the internet, I can not tell you how many times I had to step into the hallway outside our cabin to get a text to go through.  It was so annoying.  And we paid for Voom.

Hi Bunzini!  Remember our brief time together in Bermuda with Heidi and her dog Buddy? Gosh, seems like so long ago already.

13 hours ago, artvlay said:

I noticed on the Chops menu that it says,"please select one" in each food category. Are they enforcing that with the appetizer course?

And on Jewel are they allowing you to move the BOGO to another night from day 1 or 2?

On Serenade now we had 2 apps at Chops.    

This port, we did not have an excursion planned.  There was only two offered if i remember correctly.  We originally booked the RIB tour but due to a bug, it did not take.

Nanortalik is small.  You can pretty much walk the entire town.  Its very peaceful here but there’s not much here.

IMG_8689.thumb.jpeg.ce43eee3efe21dfc57905f8f9e24ddae.jpeg

IMG_8691.thumb.jpeg.eee4d0b2e5a22d91a456141010567613.jpeg

IMG_8698.thumb.jpeg.a7c3891833b6c947e4c1f93c6bc81598.jpeg

On the south end of town, there is an open air museum.  There were several buildings with exhibits.  Most were not insulated.  The museum really highlights how rough life was in this town.

IMG_8708.thumb.jpeg.af8ed526b9c6c62d6ae94649a1d4c9c6.jpeg

IMG_8717.thumb.jpeg.ce4920a085b9a244edd79966ee5259fb.jpeg

IMG_8716.thumb.jpeg.1df6e3d4be99b8507cd80380dd893a3f.jpegIMG_8731.thumb.jpeg.52ea764c2b9854282c5758f5a95bc9aa.jpeg

Apparently, this ship sinking is a big deal here.

IMG_8715.thumb.jpeg.736241919c4f9c89e3c7707be31028e0.jpeg

IMG_8723.thumb.jpeg.3bbeb49b5ce21d0894ec6bdc97e0551c.jpeg

After the museum, we walked around and found the hotel.  Only the bar is available.  They had Greenlandic food.

IMG_8735.thumb.jpeg.500d869e1e9e7bd2be6c979e37feed0b.jpeg

From the top clockwise.

Minke Whale, blubber and meat.  This was surprisingly good.

Dried seal is the purple lump.  The first taste is a bit nasty, but you get used to it.

dried cod, similar to what we had yesterday.

Greenlandic shrimp, peeled and unpeeled.  Taste like shrimp

smoked halibut.  Pretty good

smoked arctic char.  Pretty good.

Next to the hotel is the money shot.  Its a panoramic shot.  click to see the whole thing

IMG_8733.thumb.jpeg.72403ec2d8b4bbbd32392936da1fb9a3.jpeg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Hi Bunzini!  Remember our brief time together in Bermuda with Heidi and her dog Buddy? Gosh, seems like so long ago already.

I do and it was a fun day!  Bermuda was lovely and it was great going to Newport and MV.  Great trip! I did see on FB that little Buddy passed away.  Heidi had to be devastated.  

We were on the Jewel the cruise before this one and never got to see the Northern Lights -sounds like that happened to you as well. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

From the top clockwise.

Cool! So they had a sort of sampler platter, or did you order all that separately? I've greatly enjoyed your pics along the way! Definitely makes me want to go. I love the northern scenery. My sister-in-law is on this sailing and said she greatly enjoyed Greenland. So looking at all the pics, etc. takes me right back to our Norway trip back in '19.

1 hour ago, bunzini said:

I did see on FB that little Buddy passed away.  Heidi had to be devastated.  

Oh no! What FB site are you referring to?  I'm sure Heidi was terribly upset.

1 hour ago, bunzini said:

We were on the Jewel the cruise before this one and never got to see the Northern Lights -sounds like that happened to you as well. 

No, we had a few real good sightings of the NL on our Viking cruise back in '19. I had posted a few pics of them on this thread a few pages back. So where did the Jewel go before this Greenland cruise? I thought maybe you were on this sailing.

Edited by OnTheJourney

Today’s the first and probably only day there’s a movie I wanted to see.

IMG_8755.thumb.jpeg.358b680d4f5a46596dbc712f3bcec763.jpeg

I like the theater on Radiance class ships, but the seats are a little uncomfortable.

This movie was beyond ridiculous.  I apologize for anyone in the theater with me as I was cackling like a loon.  Fun movie, but totally over the top.

IMG_8756.jpeg

• Haha 3

This is why I'm so reminded of our NL trip of 4 years ago after following this thread..I remember being amazed at all the really small coastal communities we'd pass along the way.

IMG_0702.jpeg

IMG_0934.jpeg

IMG_0704.jpeg

IMG_0918.jpeg

IMG_0946.jpeg

Viking Sky docked in Alta, Norway

IMG_0940.jpeg

IMG_0993.jpg

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 7

DH went on the first Rib tour at 7:30 this morning.. said it was excellent. We got it for $125.

A very small place, population 1200, and we were the last cruise ship of the season.

IMG_1587.thumb.jpeg.76852043379102da0a78ef1d61ee45ad.jpeg

IMG_1599.thumb.jpeg.479d908880848561d1ad6188beb96254.jpeg

IMG_1600.thumb.jpeg.43ec4317df6d0982481703d112c9d772.jpeg

IMG_1603.thumb.jpeg.49f5c0c45f1f74fa5b8300d731101c24.jpeg

IMG_1609.thumb.jpeg.3a004e3dac98be58f7e4fc7fafca7437.jpeg

As you can see we had another clear day

On the way out we passed several icebergs; and were still seeing them 5 hours after sailing

IMG_1615.thumb.jpeg.18d657db2d900141e04f2f73448054f1.jpeg

• Like 11

Since I foster dogs from a rescue where I live, there was one that followed us on a trek through town. He was at the dock and came up to me and jumped and put paws on my chest. I’m sure he has an owner somewhere here, but I wished I had bought dog food and placed around the city.

Goodbye Greenland. It was great visiting.

Now for the 1/2 hour time change tonight for Newfoundland 😬

• Like 4

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Cool! So they had a sort of sampler platter, or did you order all that separately?

It was the only food on the menu but at a very affordable price, considering how expensive Greenland is overall.  One plate and it came out fast.

In Nanortalik, very little food is actually available.  We looked for a restaurant that was on the map they gave us at the tourism center.  It appeared closed and boarded up.  Instead, we found a small grocery store that had some pizzas and sandwiches.  We heard that the hotel had a restaurant and went there, but it was really just a bar.  The hotel restaurant was for hotel guests only.

IMG_8736.thumb.jpeg.66e071ca49169aa01ee052428b5c9a4c.jpeg

Edited by Rogueperson
  • Like 3

What camera did you use for those?  Like I said, some people travel far and wide on special NL cruises and expeditions and never even see them once. I told my daughter about your sightings. She's a PhD in astrophysics and follows all this pretty closely. Right now we're in what's known as solar cycle 25 which is quite active - more than expected. We could be approaching a major peak by end of '23. Every 11 years or so, the sun's magnetic field gets tangled up like a ball of tightly wound rubber bands until it eventually snaps and completely flips — turning the north pole into the south pole and vice versa.This period of increased activity, known as solar maximum, is also a potentially perilous time for Earth, which gets bombarded by solar storms (hence more NL activity) that can disrupt communications, damage power infrastructure, harm some living creatures (including astronauts) and send satellites plummeting toward the planet. It's astounding to think what's actually happening. Solar wind speed is currently 327 km / second, equal to about 731,000 mph. So below is why you're seeing them tonight. You're in the perfect location. Enjoy it....could be a once-in-a-lifetime group of sightings.

Screen Shot 2023-09-23 at 8.41.06 PM.png

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Wait...a 30-minute time change? 

Yes, according to our captain, only happens there and somewhere in Australia!

BTW I follow Heidi on FB and she had posted about Buddy,

The cruise before this one was a 17 day starting in Amsterdam.  Then to Akureyri, Iceland for two nights, and then Isafjourdor, Iceland  After that we cruised Prins Christian Sund for six hours in Greenland.  Qaqortoq, Greenland next, then St. John's Newfoundland, Halifax, Sydney, Bayonne.  It was a fantastic trip!

11 minutes ago, bunzini said:

BTW I follow Heidi on FB and she had posted about Buddy,

I will send her an email expressing condolences. Losing any pet is so hard.

12 minutes ago, bunzini said:

It was a fantastic trip!

Wow! Transatlantic - sounds like it was a great itinerary. Never did one of those.

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

So tonight again !?  You guys are so unbelievably lucky.  This pic is a terrific sighting. Is most of that what the camera or what the eye saw? Outstanding picture.

So far, what I visually see is a dim glowing white haze.  Some nights the haze is clearer, but i don’t see green.  I’ve seen the cascade a little on one night, but I could not catch it on my phone well.  That night, it was right above us.

• Like 1