Rogueperson's **LIVE** Jewel of the Seas 9/14/2023 - 9/28/2023.

Rogueperson

3 hours ago, little britain said:

And we’ve just seen our first iceberg!!! 🧊 

3 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

As long as the captain sees it too, everything will be OK.

😁

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

You forgot to say: and avoids it. 😁

We hit one while cruising Prins Christian Sund on Voyager last September.  I was standing at the front of the helipad when it hit.  Shook the ship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Great pictures. Looks beautiful up there. About what time were the NL sighted?  Are there shore excursions offered in these Greenland ports? Wondering about Nuuk being that you referred to shuttle service.

LOL on seeing that artisan cheese plate on the menu. On a recent RCL cruise, one night it showed up during dinner (didn't order it) and then it kept coming every day. Not sure why.

It was about 10:30pm when the CD announced it.  It lasted for maybe 45

minutes.

There is a shuttle offered for 22.99 i think.  There were a handful excursions offered.  They are a bit expensive compared to the Caribbean but thats to be expected.  Most were 100+/person and not for very long. They say if you have an excursion, you do not need to purchase the shuttle.  Its about a 30

minute walk to town.  

We’re doing a fjord boat tour.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Despite the dire warnings of being run over by the continuous convoy of super trucks, we walked into town. About 20 mins and there even was a kind of sidewalk after a while. 

Very harsh, colourful, functional. 
We went to a glass shop that had been mentioned on the roll call called Dooit. Stuffing pieces but very very expensive. I bought a small glass dish for 299DKK /$43.

We walked out to the viewpoint and were rewarded by the most stunning views.

Back up to town, into the church then time for a beer! 
Strolled back to the ship and were onboard before 5pm. 

IMG_1507.thumb.jpeg.486b5a3970222fa8109e1972f34ae9cb.jpeg

IMG_1510.thumb.jpeg.acc53e1d1fd9b79c3b2d0b86a8ae1d71.jpeg

IMG_1515.thumb.jpeg.9f95398a13842d92eedb49aa61761506.jpeg

IMG_1525.thumb.jpeg.9f9f1ea885bb69483ba1b01f1f78d089.jpeg

IMG_1531.thumb.jpeg.2a0698532a5c5596eeefe475f5f5cd70.jpeg

Edited by little britain
  • Like 11

More Nuuk pics.

IMG_8589.thumb.jpeg.937071c14a4c5dd200756cb646616290.jpeg

IMG_8593.thumb.jpeg.1b24e0493b99c88c027dc7752b595932.jpeg

IMG_8587.thumb.jpeg.48462805088524ccc64fef267c8b5cae.jpeg

IMG_8584.thumb.jpeg.6566cbcdb5b818f7b5a06c9f32dc28ff.jpeg

IMG_8585.thumb.jpeg.4658e2ec0a6f54a7d89f986e3b7f31ff.jpeg

I had hoped to find a place to eat, but all the signs were not in English. It was hard to judge how expensive something was.  My wife has t-mobile and supposedly has data here but it wasn’t working.  Funny, it worked on the boat tour.

Without wifi, we couldn’t figure anything out so we decided to bail.  We still got two more ports in Greenland.  My fault for not doing enough research.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, little britain said:

@Jimbo went to Izumi tonight to use the first of my BOGO… zero cheque presented fyi 

And the meal was excellent.

Restaurant empty apart from us! 

We also went there tonight,we were sitting by the window farthest from the door to get in the restaurant. We were there at 6:30pm ,when we left there  was only 1 couple in there,it might have been you?

We are going to  CHOPS tomorrow  night to use our last BOGO, will be interesting to see how that handle it.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

We also went there tonight,we were sitting by the window farthest from the door to get in the restaurant. We were there at 6:30pm ,when we left there  was only 1 couple in there,it might have been you?

We are going to  CHOPS tomorrow  night to use our last BOGO, will be interesting to see how that handle it.

Does no one walk up to anyone else and ask if they are on Cruise Critic? I do it all the time. We were sitting next to another couple in Hooked, and I figured out she was from CC, and had a great chat. All they can do is say, no, what? It is fun to meet other cruisers. ☺️

• Like 5

On 9/17/2023 at 5:31 PM, Jimbo said:

…Found the only bar (bottom bar in the Centrum deck 4)onboard that actually has mint leaves to make a Frozen Mohito the correct way,all the other bars say they don't have the leaves.

20230917_095032.jpg

The only time I’ve ever had a Mojito was on Coco Cay. It wasn’t frozen and I absolutely hated it. Maybe it wasn’t made very well or it’s just not for me. Maybe I should try one again since they seem to be popular. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jimbo said:

We went about 8. 4 of us seated at the table closest to the door. 

• Like 1

@Rogueperson 100DKK is about $14

We bought a big and small beer 🍺 for 85 which was $12… not that expensive compared to the glass shop!!

People did the call chain last night about the NL but they were barely visible. 

Sea day today heading south. 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Coralc said:

Does no one walk up to anyone else and ask if they are on Cruise Critic? I do it all the time. We were sitting next to another couple in Hooked, and I figured out she was from CC, and had a great chat. All they can do is say, no, what? It is fun to meet other cruisers. ☺️

This is precisely how I met up with @Rogueperson. We were both on a Southern Caribbean cruise on Navigator back in 2018 and had decided to do a joint live report.

On the morning of the CC Meet & Mingle (remember them?) we both happened to be in the café on the promenade having a quick breakfast when he posted a pic and when I saw it I realised he must be in the same place. So I had a look around and spotted him and his wife and went over to say hi. ☺️

Btw, if anyone fancies having a read of it, excuse me while I shamelessy plug that review... 😁

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2608639-navigator-of-the-seas-live-11232018-1222018/

Edited by FionaMG
  • Like 4

Good Afternoon from IMG_8623.thumb.png.fe1bd73a67642bf7b9176edd9e6fc928.png

The internet last night was crap.  I could not post.  Its been intermittently bad throughout the cruise but last night was the first night that functionality just crapped out totally in the room.

So lets back track.

Dinner was rough for me because as you saw, we did not get lunch in port.  We came back to the ship at about 5, just in time for the Diamond happy hour.  I lost discipline and ate too much so dinner was kind of lost to me.  But I was there.

IMG_8594.thumb.jpeg.2fb06d803b9089b2c9bc61d985dffaf6.jpeg

Pork Bao

IMG_8595.thumb.jpeg.3b2b33a1413ee8c491c2142ee1383ed5.jpeg

coconut shrimpIMG_8596.thumb.jpeg.74801bc3b9f9a3bb251766daa4cc33b8.jpeg

jerk pork chop

IMG_8597.thumb.jpeg.6f88a8528d21ddb13cdf380b5ad2b23f.jpeg

Blueberry cobbler

IMG_8598.thumb.jpeg.7b1d4c6313e769a27b951ac55b1a1d27.jpeg

I didn’t do much after dinner.

I’ve been really lazy so far on this cruise.  I may have made it out of the cabin once before noon and this is day 8.  I got up initially at 10am and thought, I’m on vacation and went back to sleep.

Also, I may have mentioned this before, but this cruise seems to be the loudest cruise I’ve been on.  Maybe due to the fact that its primarily an indoor cruise, its loud all over.  I find it difficult to find a quiet spot on the ship that isn’t filled with ambient noise.  The viking crown/vortex historically is quiet, but its been a zoo up there due to the large number of Diamonds and up aboard.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

The only time I’ve ever had a Mojito was on Coco Cay. It wasn’t frozen and I absolutely hated it. Maybe it wasn’t made very well or it’s just not for me. Maybe I should try one again since they seem to be popular. 

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

That’s a sad looking Lobster Roll. Is that real lobster or the fake stuff?

If it's not frozen and if they don't use real mint leaves, it's not made right. They are good, if you are looking for something  real sweet may not be the drink for you. A little on the bitter side like mint.

We were told they ran out of the Lobster Rolls midway through lunch, plus they weren't very good anyway( to much filler crap). So don't think we missed much.

21 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

Good Afternoon from IMG_8623.thumb.png.fe1bd73a67642bf7b9176edd9e6fc928.png

The internet last night was crap.  I could not post.  Its been intermittently bad throughout the cruise but last night was the first night that functionality just crapped out totally in the room.

So lets back track.

Dinner was rough for me because as you saw, we did not get lunch in port.  We came back to the ship at about 5, just in time for the Diamond happy hour.  I lost discipline and ate too much so dinner was kind of lost to me.  But I was there.

IMG_8594.thumb.jpeg.2fb06d803b9089b2c9bc61d985dffaf6.jpeg

Pork Bao

IMG_8595.thumb.jpeg.3b2b33a1413ee8c491c2142ee1383ed5.jpeg

coconut shrimpIMG_8596.thumb.jpeg.74801bc3b9f9a3bb251766daa4cc33b8.jpeg

jerk pork chop

IMG_8597.thumb.jpeg.6f88a8528d21ddb13cdf380b5ad2b23f.jpeg

Blueberry cobbler

IMG_8598.thumb.jpeg.7b1d4c6313e769a27b951ac55b1a1d27.jpeg

I didn’t do much after dinner.

I’ve been really lazy so far on this cruise.  I may have made it out of the cabin once before noon and this is day 8.  I got up initially at 10am and thought, I’m on vacation and went back to sleep.

Also, I may have mentioned this before, but this cruise seems to be the loudest cruise I’ve been on.  Maybe due to the fact that its primarily an indoor cruise, its loud all over.  I find it difficult to find a quiet spot on the ship that isn’t filled with ambient noise.  The viking crown/vortex historically is quiet, but its been a zoo up there due to the large number of Diamonds and up aboard.

As for the internet, try this if you are in a balcony cabin. Leave your balcony door cracked open about 2 inches and your internet speed will be much faster. If not in a balcony, crack open your cabin door with a shoe or trash can, works much faster that way too.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

As for the internet, try this if you are in a balcony cabin. Leave your balcony door cracked open about 2 inches and your internet speed will be much faster. If not in a balcony, crack open your cabin door with a shoe or trash can, works much faster that way too.

YES, we were in a balcony too and just got off this cruise before you (from Amsterdam via Iceland/ Greenland) and any time one of us was on the Internet in the room.....if the other person opened the bathroom door, the Internet dropped.  

3 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

YES, we were in a balcony too and just got off this cruise before you (from Amsterdam via Iceland/ Greenland) and any time one of us was on the Internet in the room.....if the other person opened the bathroom door, the Internet dropped.  

Haven't seen that so far, but opening cabin door or balcony door does work. We are a few cabins behind the Centrum on deck 8 mid ship.

Edited by Jimbo