Minibar contents

marylovestotravel

1 hour ago, marylovestotravel said:

I've looked, but can't find details of what we can expect to see in our minibars on Viking Ocean, and what we can reasonably request? 

Is Fevertree tonic an option?

Thanks,

Mia

It depends what level of cabin you book. Soft drinks are in V and DV, small alcohol bottles and soft drinks are in PV and above. Alcohol  can be exchanged for wine if you wish. I have never heard of Fevertree tonic, so need someone with more knowledge of this to chime in. Also, my info is from my experience, others probably have different information.

Fevertree tonic is available in the bars on Ocean ships?  I had never seen or heard of Fevertree before Viking.  Perhaps however, in the minibar it is Schwepps as they would put in cans?  Fevertree tonic that they use in the bars is in glass bottles and would require a bottle opener.

• Like 1

On Saturn in July 23, all tonic was Schweppes.  I seem to recall a thread of folks complaining that was one one of the post COVID budget cuts.  It was fine by me since Schweppes is our house tonic after doing a blind taste test of several high and low end tonics, it was the winner. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, janetcbl said:

It depends what level of cabin you book. Soft drinks are in V and DV, small alcohol bottles and soft drinks are in PV and above. Alcohol  can be exchanged for wine if you wish. I have never heard of Fevertree tonic, so need someone with more knowledge of this to chime in. Also, my info is from my experience, others probably have different information.

There will also be snacks. On our last cruise it was small (handful size) packages of either peanuts or an almond and cranberry mix and Norwegian milk chocolate bars.  Since we we were in Norway don't know if those are a replacement for the previous assorted dark, white, and milk Toblerones which had been on previous cruises.  

We've always had the little milk chocolate bars--not Toblerone, but we only started doing Viking Ocean in 2021.

We make sure to remove them every time they're replenished, so by the end of the trip we have quite a little stash; they're really good.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

There will also be snacks. On our last cruise it was small (handful size) packages of either peanuts or an almond and cranberry mix and Norwegian milk chocolate bars.  Since we we were in Norway don't know if those are a replacement for the previous assorted dark, white, and milk Toblerones which had been on previous cruises.  

We had the little milk chocolate bars on our June Adriatic cruise. According to our room steward, they replace the Toblerones.  And they were really good!   Yes, I squirreled them away and let them be replaced every day.  🙂 

22 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

On Saturn in July 23, all tonic was Schweppes.  I seem to recall a thread of folks complaining that was one one of the post COVID budget cuts.  It was fine by me since Schweppes is our house tonic after doing a blind taste test of several high and low end tonics, it was the winner. 

Oh, that is interesting....  I had never tried Fevertree before Viking and it is my winner.  I cannot find it at home anywhere in a grocery store.  I would drink G&T's with Fevertree but not with Schweppes.

On 9/13/2023 at 11:22 PM, marylovestotravel said:

Is Fevertree tonic an option?

I somehow managed to reply to this in a different thread ...

My experience is that Fever Tree Tonic is only available in the evening in Torshavn.

It was readily available there in April 2023 when we did Trade Routes.

It was the only tonic water we could drink on the ship, all other ones (not just diet versions) available at other bars contained artificial sweeteners.

1 hour ago, Goosebear Mum said:

Fevertree is British hence why some of you poss have not seen it before) and tastes great, no awful artificial sweetener, etc. I've given up on Schweppes now it just tastes of sweetener.  Fevertree ginger ale is delicious.  

Awful stuff indeed. 

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Oh, that is interesting....  I had never tried Fevertree before Viking and it is my winner.  I cannot find it at home anywhere in a grocery store.  I would drink G&T's with Fevertree but not with Schweppes.

It's widely available. Check Safeway, Superstore. Others as well, but may not be located in Ontario. Sometimes they stick such items in an obscure area, but once you find them, you wonder how you could have missed it!.

Ask for location in store.

Mia

Just now, marylovestotravel said:

It's widely available. Check Safeway, Superstore. Others as well, but may not be located in Ontario. Sometimes they stick such items in an obscure area, but once you find them, you wonder how you could have missed it!.

Ask for location in store.

Mia

Thanks Mia, 

We don't have Safeway in Ontario, or my area anyway.

Costco are supposed to carry it but have looked and asked and they don't have it in my area anyway...

Will keep looking.

3 hours ago, Goosebear Mum said:

Fevertree is British hence why some of you poss have not seen it before) and tastes great, no awful artificial sweetener, etc. I've given up on Schweppes now it just tastes of sweetener.  Fevertree ginger ale is delicious.  

And their ginger beer in a Dark 'n Stormy!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Thanks Mia, 

We don't have Safeway in Ontario, or my area anyway.

Costco are supposed to carry it but have looked and asked and they don't have it in my area anyway...

Will keep looking.

Check your local Loblaws or derivative, or if you have an independent specialty grocer that may work as well. Not sure of your location but for me Fortinos, Zehrs and independents called Marilu’s and Denninger’s. Good luck. 🍺🥌

5 minutes ago, burnabyjean said:

We live in BC and our local London Drugs carries it.

Yes, FeverTree is widely available in BC. But I don't think London Drugs has expanded to Ontario.

Soft drinks are included during mealtimes. Would that include FeverTree? I'm not much of a beer or wine drinker😇 (Just kidding!).

Mia

12 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We order Fevertree tonic from Amazon - 24 bottles at a time for my G&Ts.

On 9/13/2023 at 7:32 PM, janetcbl said:

Small alcohol bottles are in PV and above? We're in an Explorer suite on our December Classic Panama Canal cruise, and have paid for the Silver Beverage Package (which we would have hoped was included in an Explorer  Suite). Will we really only have small bottles (like those on an airline) in our fridge in our Explorer Suite? That would be very disappointing.

28 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

Will we really only have small bottles (like those on an airline) in our fridge in our Explorer Suite? That would be very disappointing.

Were you expecting a bar?

SSP is for use at the bars and restaurants, it doesn’t cover your in room spirits. They will be replenished daily.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

On 9/14/2023 at 12:27 PM, longterm said:

We've always had the little milk chocolate bars--not Toblerone, but we only started doing Viking Ocean in 2021.

We make sure to remove them every time they're replenished, so by the end of the trip we have quite a little stash; they're really good.

Oh good, it's not just me!!!! 🙂 

• Like 1