Messy Situation w/ Possible Cancellation

Esjung1

Has anyone experience this before... I'll try and clearly set the situation... We are a party of 4 with two cabins.  Two adults in one cabins (sisters) and one adult (grandpa) and one child (grandson) in the second cabin. We are less than two weeks out from our cruise and there is likely a high chance that grandpa in cabin #2 will need to cancel for health issues. The other two adults plus child would still be potentially going. How would princess handle this?  Can one adult be shifted into cabin #2 so the minor isn't alone? We've clearly paid in full for two cabins and know a minor can't be listed in a cabin by themselves.  Just trying to understand what might happen.  The adult that we would want moved into cabin #2 is the mother of the child. Any insight would be appreciated! TY! 

1 hour ago, Esjung1 said:

Has anyone experience this before... I'll try and clearly set the situation... We are a party of 4 with two cabins.  Two adults in one cabins (sisters) and one adult (grandpa) and one child (grandson) in the second cabin. We are less than two weeks out from our cruise and there is likely a high chance that grandpa in cabin #2 will need to cancel for health issues. The other two adults plus child would still be potentially going. How would princess handle this?  Can one adult be shifted into cabin #2 so the minor isn't alone? We've clearly paid in full for two cabins and know a minor can't be listed in a cabin by themselves.  Just trying to understand what might happen.  The adult that we would want moved into cabin #2 is the mother of the child. Any insight would be appreciated! TY! 

Yes, you should be able to move the mother or actually any other adult into the cabin with the child. My understanding with Princess and many other cruise lines is at least one of the 2 original booked passengers need to STAY in cabin, so they allow you to swap out passenger 1 or 2 but not both. 

Do you have another friend or family member that can take Grandpa’s place, since the fare has been paid in full already?

Some cruise lines charge a fee to do this and some do not, the last time my sister needed to swap out a passenger last minute(within a few weeks is sailing), Princess did not charge, this was for adding a new passenger opposed to your case moving sister from your cabin to child’s cabin.

Do you have insurance? If not, then just have Grandpa be a no show, and once on board, move sister to child’s cabin .

If you have insurance, Grandpa will get his fare back.  New passenger would have to pay full fare (not free). 

Your TA or Princess will need to sort this out since it involves many complicated factors with the minor.  

Not only fare returned to Grandpa, but second cabin will now be a solo. 

8 minutes ago, wallyj said:

Yes, you should be able to move the mother or actually any other adult into the cabin with the child. My understanding with Princess and many other cruise lines is at least one of the 2 original booked passengers need to STAY in cabin, so they allow you to swap out passenger 1 or 2 but not both. 

Do you have another friend or family member that can take Grandpa’s place, since the fare has been paid in full already?

Some cruise lines charge a fee to do this and some do not, the last time my sister needed to swap out a passenger last minute(within a few weeks is sailing), Princess did not charge, this was for adding a new passenger opposed to your case moving sister from your cabin to child’s cabin.

Do you have insurance? If not, then just have Grandpa be a no show, and once on board, move sister to child’s cabin .

Thank you, unfortunately we don't have anyone else at this late stage that can take 12 days off. (and neither of our spouses want to go)  We all have travel insurance and are noodling the fact that we technically could all cancel but grandpa really wants the rest of us to go without if he has to bail. 

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

You'll likely get many opinions on this...but the only one that counts is the one from Princess. Call or chat ASAP

We booked through someone other than Princess, who do we call? 

Edited by Esjung1

Just now, Esjung1 said:

Thank you, unfortunately we don't have anyone else at this late stage that can take 12 days off. (and neither of our spouses want to go)  We all have travel insurance and are noodling the fact that we technically could all cancel but grandpa really wants the rest of us to go without if he has to bail. 

So, I believe the easiest if you all still sail, is swap sister with Grandpa now, so minor will not be in potential cabin alone. If Grandpa does go, swap passengers once on board. If Grandpa cancels, then he submits insurance, you might then be charged for now going solo.

• Like 3

I hope your TA can help you. I just went through this exact situation and Princess refused to change out Passenger One for a different passenger, even though Passenger Two was staying the same and was on the original booking. After three phone calls, and a supervisor, no one would help us. Lesson learned. I will never book directly with Princess again.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, partybarbie said:

I hope your TA can help you. I just went through this exact situation and Princess refused to change out Passenger One for a different passenger, even though Passenger Two was staying the same and was on the original booking. After three phone calls, and a supervisor, no one would help us. Lesson learned. I will never book directly with Princess again.

Wow Princess wouldn't swap out a passenger because of a justified reason? Did you have the Princess insurance by any chance? I could see this happening to us and would not be happy either. 

Many insurance policies cover single supplement. Couldn’t this be resolved to everyone’s satisfaction with insurance reimbursing any loss or additional fees?

Check to see what the policy covers.  Isn’t that why you buy it?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

Wow Princess wouldn't swap out a passenger because of a justified reason? Did you have the Princess insurance by any chance? I could see this happening to us and would not be happy either. 

We did have the Princess insurance, but it was before final payment. We did get the deposits back immediately because they were FCD’s. I was told that the new policy was only passenger two could be swapped out, not passenger one. My TA also tried to help, even though I hadn’t booked with her. Princess wouldn’t even discuss it with her and wouldn’t let her take over the booking (which is my own fault for waiting too long to transfer it to her). It’s been a huge fiasco. The cruise has gone up over $1,000 per person since we booked two years ago. It is a long story, but the cruise is being sold in segments. My husband and I will board the ship in Auckland, for a 17-day cruise, and my mom and sister will now board in Sydney for the 13-day segment. Princess is only too happy to resell the original booking and pocket the extra money. The cruise is almost sold out, so it won’t be a problem for them.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

My understanding from a composite of past posts is that is can be fairly easy to replace Guest #2 on a booking (at least before FP Date), but not Guest #1.  I presume the child is Guest #2. 

Definitely, @Esjung1 needs to work through the TA (when replying to a post that contains a TA name, we should be XXXing out the TA name).  This is because anything to do with the fare, etc, has to be handled by the TA. 

The advice to check the insurance benefits was wise.  I am not sure off the top if Guest #2 can be covered for any single supplement charge levied at the last minute if Guest #1 is a no-show.  Regardless, PCL will decide to charge or not charge. 

My guess (okay, call it a SWAG if you like) is that PCL would figure out to charge a single supplement if advised today.  Also, age of child was not mentioned, so you have another issue in terms of swapping a person from one booking to another.  Is the mother Guest #1 or #2 on the other booking?  More complications.

I would suggest a No-Show, or very late notice to Princess (like day before sailing).  That may not be convenient in terms of working with the TA and availability to call Princess.  I am sure there are medical No-Shows on most voyages.

I am thinking show up at the pier and check-in and let them know Grandpa is not coming due to a late health issue and was hoping it would be okay, but just not possible in the end to travel.  Grandpa files for insurance recovery due to medical reasons.  All good there.

At the check-in, the Mother can advise she is going to stay in the other cabin with the son (or perhaps the other sister moves to the son cabin and he moves to Mother cabin).  Whatever.  You did not state age of the child.  Can he just stay in the cabin on his own?  Lots of parents travel with kids and they sleep in cabin across the hall or next door.  If he can stay on his own, it isn't a problem once you are on the ship - it is just a reservation issue.  There won't be a problem figuring out a cabin arrangement on the ship. 

The only variable is will they assess some sort of solo supplement to that second cabin.  You can count on at least that happening doing it advance I am thinking and you have a chance of dodging it on board.  

Similar situations have been discussed on here over the years and many recommend going the "No Show" route for simplicity and better outcome.

Not all good for grandpa to be a no-show and file after the fact. Reimbursement for cancellation requires actual cancellation prior to departure.

I can’t advise on how to handle this situation; but if all parties are insured, I’d certainly try to work through them with whatever Princess requires to rearrange the booking rather than leave money on the table.

• Like 1

Just now, Babr said:

Not all good for grandpa to be a no-show and file after the fact. Reimbursement for cancellation requires actual cancellation prior to departure.

I can’t advise on how to handle this situation; but if all parties are insured, I’d certainly try to work through them with whatever Princess requires to rearrange the booking rather than leave money on the table.

Okay.  Can cancel very last minute though.  IDK about TA hours and such and depending on departure day of the week for the voyage.  Terms of the insurance will indicate what is required notice for a medical cancellation.  It is possible a guest may have a medical issue en route to the ship that would cause them to cancel.

• Like 1

It is important to look at the specific details of your travel insurance. The details for Princess Vacation Protection are available on their website when logged in to your specific cruise. You have to enter your state of residence to get the exact details, since they vary by state. The sentences I quote below are in my policy description - you will need to check yours.

"Princess Cancellation Fee Waiver refunds are also provided if you are charged a change in occupancy/ single supplement charge as a result of your traveling companion's cancellation due to one of the reasons cited above." This means that a second passenger in a cabin will not have to pay a single supplement if the other passenger cancels for a covered reason.

"Important: Please advise your travel agent, Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours and the Program Administrator as soon as possible in the event of cancellation. Refunds will not be provdied for additional charges incurred that would have not been charged had you notified these parties as soon as reasonably possible." They will only refund the cancellation fees that would have been charged if you cancelled as soon as reasonably possible. If the passenger gets sick during the 25% penalty period but you don't notify them until the 100% penalty period, then they would charge you 100% but you would only receive back 25% from Princess Vacation Protection.

The major issue is the age of the child. The following is an extract from the Passage Contract: "For family groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for at least one person in each stateroom is 16 years of age, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian." If the child is 16 or older and a parent is in the other stateroom, the child could then stay in the stateroom as a solo with Princess Vacation Protection paying the cancellation fee and the single supplement fee. If the child is younger than 15, then the booking becomes illegal when the other occupant cancels, even if a parent is in the adjoining stateroom.

I would definitely not recommend a "no show" as some have suggested. You run the risk of the child being refused boarding with no refund. If the parents decide not to board, they may also not receive any refund. I suspect the parents would not want to board and leave the child at the dock.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Okay.  Can cancel very last minute though.  IDK about TA hours and such and depending on departure day of the week for the voyage.  Terms of the insurance will indicate what is required notice for a medical cancellation.  It is possible a guest may have a medical issue en route to the ship that would cause them to cancel.

I see your other post recommending making false/last minute insurance claims ha been removed.  Any other recommendations for us?

I have a question that's on a related note. If someone cancels the second person in a cabin after final payment and sails as a solo (essentially paying double, or 100% solo supplement), does the remaining occupant of the cabin earn double captain's circle cruise credits as they would if they had initially booked it as a solo with 100% supplement?

• Like 1

I agree with @NavyVeteran.  The issue is not that Grandpa cancels.  If it was an ordinary situation.  If Grandpa cancelled with insurance, he would get back the fare minus insurance AND passenger two would travel as a solo with insurance/Princess absorbing the supplement.

The problem is that the child (don't know the age) may not be able to sail solo. 

If all has insurance, then something might be able to be worked out.  It is a good thing you are planning ahead for a complicated situation.  It is out of the passengers' hands.  Your TA will have to work this out with Princess.  Good luck.  Not sure if your TA has enough experience to deal with something so complicated.

You should all be covered under the insurance and should all be able to cancel for any reason.  Regular PVP will give you back 75% and Platinum PVP will give you back 100%.  Don't know if you will get dollars or FCC.

12 minutes ago, cr01s13r3 said:

I have a question that's on a related note. If someone cancels the second person in a cabin after final payment and sails as a solo (essentially paying double, or 100% solo supplement), does the remaining occupant of the cabin earn double captain's circle cruise credits as they would if they had initially booked it as a solo with 100% supplement?

My sisters cancelled their voyage with me in a suite (medical).  I sailed solo with insurance supplement and given 3 credits for being in a suite (instead of 2).  Yes, solo occupant will get double credit for sailing.

• Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I agree with @NavyVeteran.  The issue is not that Grandpa cancels.  If it was an ordinary situation.  If Grandpa cancelled with insurance, he would get back the fare minus insurance AND passenger two would travel as a solo with insurance/Princess absorbing the supplement.

The problem is that the child (don't know the age) may not be able to sail solo. 

If all has insurance, then something might be able to be worked out.  It is a good thing you are planning ahead for a complicated situation.  It is out of the passengers' hands.  Your TA will have to work this out with Princess.  Good luck.  Not sure if your TA has enough experience to deal with something so complicated.

You should all be covered under the insurance and should all be able to cancel for any reason.  Regular PVP will give you back 75% and Platinum PVP will give you back 100%.  Don't know if you will get dollars or FCC.

It probably depends on what kind of insurance the OP has and whether the cancellation involves a pre-existing condition, with or without a waiver. If third-party insurance is involved and the claim is covered, all reimbursement would be in cash.   Cancellation for a pre-existing condition without a waiver would result in denial for that person, but single supplement coverage would still apply.

Princess, on the other hand, does not cover pre-existing conditions and reimbursements would likely be a combination of FCC  for a non qualifying cancellation and cash for single supplement.

22 minutes ago, Babr said:

It probably depends on what kind of insurance the OP has and whether the cancellation involves a pre-existing condition, with or without a waiver. If third-party insurance is involved and the claim is covered, all reimbursement would be in cash.   Cancellation for a pre-existing condition without a waiver would result in denial for that person, but single supplement coverage would still apply.

Princess, on the other hand, does not cover pre-existing conditions and reimbursements would likely be a combination of FCC  for a non qualifying cancellation and cash for single supplement.

We all had Princess Platinum insurance.  They were sent a check, less insurance cost.  I was able to sail solo without any addition out of pocket expenses.  

IF..they had cancelled for any reason (other than covered medical), they would have received 100% FCC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

I see your other post recommending making false/last minute insurance claims ha been removed.  Any other recommendations for us?

On second thought, I think maybe you were poking at me and I did not intend nor advise fraud. 

IDK when Grandpa decision is going to be made.  Could be tomorrow, could be last minute.  It would seem the right thing to do is make the claim when and if the decision is made to cancel.  Then, work with Princess to sort out the other three.  I know I would likely want to speak with Princess myself first to see how they would react to the situation before having the TA call.  I'd be looking to talk with Customer Relations or Solutions to see what their attitude is.  Might be able to pave the way a bit for the TA.  I'd wonder if the TA has had a similar situation to deal with on behalf of a client and what the result was.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Can an adult in the other room exchange rooms with grandpa before he cancels? Then there is aleady an adult in the room with the minor when he cancels. 

25 minutes ago, ROXIETHEHORSE said:

Can an adult in the other room exchange rooms with grandpa before he cancels? Then there is already an adult in the room with the minor when he cancels. 

The problem is that Grandpa is Guest #1 in his cabin and PCL doesn't allow swapping out #1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ROXIETHEHORSE said:

Can an adult in the other room exchange rooms with grandpa before he cancels? Then there is aleady an adult in the room with the minor when he cancels. 

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

The problem is that Grandpa is Guest #1 in his cabin and PCL doesn't allow swapping out #1.

You could try switching the Guest # 2 between the two rooms. Then when Grandpa cancels, the other guest in his room would be an adult who could legally sail solo. If he cancels for a covered reason, then Princess Vacation Protection could take care of his cancellation fees and the single occupancy fees. If it is not a covered reason, he would get FCC. However, there could be a problem if they charge single occupancy, since the Princess Vacation Protection single occupancy coverage is only if cancellation is for a covered reason.

• Thanks 1