Do you tip for room service and/or porters that take your luggage?

lisa6191

1 hour ago, lisa6191 said:

Back to my original question, I see that people do tip the porters, but what about the room service deliverers? We may do this a few times for breakfast so I want to be prepared.

No need to tip room service deliveries

nancy

Now I better understand why the USA felt the need to pass the 

Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), which stresses that it is unlawful for a U.S. person or company to offer, pay, or promise to pay money or anything of value to any foreign official for the purpose of obtaining or retaining business...   😘

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

We tip based on the tipping etiquette in the country we are visiting.  Tips are included on these cruises so its totally up to the discretion of the individual.   We would not tip in a manner that would garner some type of favor like the maitre de to get a better table.  Considering that many cruise employees annual compensation is possibly equal to or less than what we spend on a 14 day cruise we tend to tip.  That's our choice and we generally tip at the end.  This isn't our practice but I don't see how tipping a porter or bar tender on an all inclusive ship is a form of bribery.  Maybe the bartender gets your drink faster?

Back in the day on our first Regent cruise tipping wasn't allowed you gave the money to a fund.  I think this is the best policy and the cruise line should encourage it for good performance.

• Like 1

The only really important bribe is to a Maitre'd to get a  good table at dinner every evening.  We have never tipped at the start of the cruise, but after many many days on Seabourn usually got a desirable table for two - generally going in fairly early for dinner which we preferred anyway.  I  expect some did think we had paid for the privilege.

18 hours ago, LMB01 said:

Wow, are my feelings hurt (just kidding, not at all).  Put whatever label you want on it, won’t change our behavior.

To the OP, no one can give you a definitive answer on tipping room service or suite attendants - they can only tell you what they do or anyone they have personally engaged with on the subject.  We don’t get room service often and truthfully it has been mixed for us, we have occasionally tipped.

My husband asked me, “why are you still engaging with those people?”  I said:

1.  Because it is fun

2.  I like to poke the bear

And more importantly, I have learned so much today:

We have a poster that seems to know what all other passengers like and dislike

Also, we have a poster that doesn’t go to Vegas but seems to know the tipping culture (btw, in a bar/restaurant we frequent daily, it is not uncommon to see regulars come in and pass out $100 bills to each bartender and then order.  As we are well known there, we wait and pass out additional tips when we leave.)

In all seriousness, I am mainly trying to point out that every passenger is not the same on Seabourn.  

To the OP, go, enjoy your cruise.  Tip as you see appropriate or not but most of all, have a good time!

Im going to stick my neck out and generally agree with you. 

Although I believe tipping culture is out of control in the US knowing many folks who work in the service industry including CruiseShip workers they appreciate all tips whether its after, before or during service. The vast majority of international ship employees are very poor by our standards (we literally take $10k/per person cruises) and $5-10 will make their day. Having said that since tip is included in the fare excellent service should be provided to all passengers regardless. 

LMB01 isnt giving away your money she is giving away her own so if she wants to make it rain its her business and she is doing someone very nice for these employees who work extremely hard. 

• Like 4

I leave a tip for those cleanings my suite as I do feel they deserve that. Donation to the crew fund at the end.

I try to be as nice as possible to the crew and my fellow passengers 

I go to dinner so late that there are always good tables:-) but that practice mentioned previously is not tipping but corruption:-)

I never seek any special treatment and I ask the crew to call me by my name and not Mr or Sir.

I can only praise the crew, terrific service day in day out.

Some guests do not speak or say hallo to anyone, not sure why the embark on a cruise, but the great majority of guests are  great travel companions 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SDuckers said:

I am trying to decide whether the topic of tipping, or the topic of jeans in the MDR, is the most likely to blow up on this board on any given day.

Back in the day, it was delicately balanced between the two! 

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, SDuckers said:

I am trying to decide whether the topic of tipping, or the topic of jeans in the MDR, is the most likely to blow up on this board on any given day.

I so did not intend to start a war! LOL Just being my usual neurotic pre-trip self trying to think of everything I might need.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, lisa6191 said:

I so did not intend to start a war! LOL Just being my usual neurotic pre-trip self trying to think of everything I might need.

We go to the bank before every trip and get at least $100 in $5 dollar bills.

Tips are not expected onboard. 

We give to the crew fund, very important IMHO.  We tip our room steward, and occasionally special service.  We sometimes bring back gifts from shore for employees who can't get off.  Especially those with children or loved ones at home.

Tipping in the U.S. is out of control.

• Like 5

On 9/19/2023 at 10:46 PM, 2SailingNomads said:

Please do not tip individual Seabourn crew it is included in the fare, if you wish to reward crew above and beyond what you already paid contribute to the crew welfare fund.  The tender driver works as hard, but you don't know him on a personal level, as your suite attendant.  Crew fund goes to all the hard working folks.  And throwing money in advance to someone in anticipation of preferential service is not what Seabourn is about or at least used to be.  

Giving a tip before being served is akin to bribery and should NOT be allowed

On 9/20/2023 at 5:12 PM, 2SailingNomads said:

I live outside of Vegas proper and don't go to places on the Strip but do go to many nice places (and some dive bars) and have never seen that behavior e.g, someone handling out $100 bills when they walk in.  

It seems that the posts on this subject are discussions between those who tip and those who do not tip.

In my opinion you have the right to tip or not to tip-- but not the right to tell me what I should do.

Seabourn states that you are not expected to tip---but says nothing that prohibits you from tipping.

I have never been in a situation on the ship where it made a difference.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I don't think anyone is trying to say whether one has a right to tip or not;  it was the question of what many think of as a 'bribe' that has cased some slightly heated discussion.

Is there not enough caviar or Champaign for everyone? Aren't we all mostly receiving excellent service regardless of tipping status?

Amenities and services on a ship is not a zero sum game what differences does it make to us what others do with their money? 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, reposado said:

Amenities and services on a ship is not a zero sum game what differences does it make to us what others do with their money? 

It bothers me and am certain others when people bribe staff members at the beginning of he cruise which causes staff to give preference to the bribers.

We all should be treated equally and not have not have bribers first class and the rest of us treated like steerage. Passengers.  Have no problem with any tipping at the conclusion of the cruise however no tipping (bribing) at the beginning or during the cruise

And in response to reposado, I haven't been treated like steerage but, have read plenty of reports of waiters and bar people catering to the bribers while ignoring other passengers.

Edited by rallydave
  • Like 2

Perhaps I overreacted to the term "bribe"-- I considered giving a gratuity a sign of appreciation.  I give to the crew fund in the middle of the cruise-- and to those who have been especially nice and helpful the next to the last day of the segment.  The most I ever received in return was a thank you note.

To me the definition of a bribe was passing money for an illegal act-- I realize now that it does not have to be illegal-- but it still has a negative connotation .

8 minutes ago, rallydave said:

It bothers me and am certain others when people bribe staff members at the beginning of he cruise which causes staff to give preference to the bribers.

We all should be treated equally and not have not have bribers first class and the rest of us treated like steerage. Passengers.

I have NEVER witnessed a guest being treated like steerage-- but if they were they should  immediately contact the hotel director .  I have witnessed on rare occasion a guest being disrespectful and extremely demanding.

Staff has always recognized  and paid attention to guests they recognize from the past=== but the guests do the same thing to crew.

What extras were the guests receiving that other guests were not receiving?

25 minutes ago, rallydave said:

We all should be treated equally and not have not have bribers first class and the rest of us treated like steerage. Passengers.  Have no problem with any tipping at the conclusion of the cruise however no tipping (bribing) at the beginning or during the cruise

And in response to reposado, I haven't been treated like steerage but, have read plenty of reports of waiters and bar people catering to the bribers while ignoring other passengers.

How do you know the people receiving attention have given tips?

It is surprising to me that so many eyes are watching what other people are doing---

I'm one of the lucky ones that just enjoy being on the ship, and fortunate to have met so many nice people.

The main 'extra' mentioned here was a 'tip' to the Maitre'd, presumably on the first evening, essentially to get a table which you would choose to have each evening in the main dining room.  So something given before any service has happened, not to reward good service.  I posted earlier that we were often given a window table for two - helped by arriving fairly early - I like to think because we had done many Seabourn cruises and were recognised and known by the staff.  No prior tips involved.

Some of us just do not approve of this, to Brits it is like what we call queue jumping, which is despised by many people - yes, not just Brits.

We know because a poster here said that that is what they do, and they obviously think it is fine.