Urgent help - parents passport stolen in Athens

Mark_UK

12 hours ago, Mark_UK said:

Just been back and forth on the phone with the travel agent and Celebrity and we got them re-booked for the 16th!!

They had their fast track passport appointment today and have been told the replacements should arrive by Monday at the latest. 

Fantastic news! I hope you all have a wonderful cruise 🚢 

Thank you for taking the time to let us know the outcome!

Just now, abbydancer said:

ah, very different than a short term passport.

A US 1 year passport issued due to.loss of the original is also considered to be an emergency passport. It does not contain the chip included in US passports. Just as with the UK version, it is not accepted for entry into some countries (as stated on the US state department web site). To find out limits one can check the web site. For example it cannot be used to enter France.

So glad it’s all worked out for your family!  It started out as the trip of a lifetime and after all of this I’m sure it will be.  You’re a great son.  Safe travels to your parents. I hope they can relax and enjoy a much needed holiday!

• Like 1

Great news!   I am so thrilled for your parents!  What a load of emotions that they must've been going through these past 2 weeks!  And all the work that you've gone through staying on top of it!  So glad it paid off!  I, for one, will be looking forward to hearing all about the new cruise on the 16th 🛳️

~Bernadette

• Like 3

3 hours ago, funredhead said:

So glad it’s all worked out for your family!  It started out as the trip of a lifetime and after all of this I’m sure it will be.  You’re a great son.  Safe travels to your parents. I hope they can relax and enjoy a much needed holiday!

So happy its all worked out for your parents and they have a wonderful memorable cruise. They are lucky to have you as a son. They obviously did a good job raising you. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, newfiegirl4 said:

This is fantastic news for your parents! A great son you are! 💙
I hope they have a fantastic cruise! Happy sailing! 🛳️.

Catherine 

Thank you! I will post a photo once we're all onboard!

• Like 8

@Mark_UK

So sorry to hear about what happened but I'm glad it seems to be sorted for now and they have another cruise booked, hope it goes well for them.

I've no idea what a UK passport stolen in Greece might end up being used for, but my passport was stolen in the UK many years ago. My identity was stolen shortly after that with fraudulent loans taken out in my name. It might be worth having your parents monitor their credit reports for the next few years to make sure no surprising debt collection letters start turning up years from now. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, OysterD said:

@Mark_UK

So sorry to hear about what happened but I'm glad it seems to be sorted for now and they have another cruise booked, hope it goes well for them.

I've no idea what a UK passport stolen in Greece might end up being used for, but my passport was stolen in the UK many years ago. My identity was stolen shortly after that with fraudulent loans taken out in my name. It might be worth having your parents monitor their credit reports for the next few years to make sure no surprising debt collection letters start turning up years from now. 

great advice.   get them to sign up with something like credit karma or I think something that moneysavingexpert provides via experian.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, vji6697 said:

great advice.   get them to sign up with something like credit karma or I think something that moneysavingexpert provides via experian.

yes great advice..due to several recent hacks to ins co data and others  we now have several free credit monitoring services.  They monitor and report anything out of the ordinary.

last week one of cred cards was hacked... company caught it  stopped the fraudulent charges,  cancelled the card ..We are waiting on the new card!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2023 at 3:43 PM, chemmo said:

Hi there, 

So kind of you to update us…You and your parents have been very much in our thoughts.

We arrived in Turkey for a stay in an AI resort yesterday and I have never been so glad to get the passports in the room safe. Until your post I had no idea that passports had a ‘monetary value’ to thieves and, much as we have always kept them fairly secure, like your parents, I would have felt comfortable leaving them in a bag in my hotel room….

I am so pleased that Celebrity are going to help out and that your parents are keen to cruise still. 🤞 all goes well for them.

Absolutely! I will very much be small print checking before our next cruise.

I still find it almost impossible to believe that you pay out so much for travel insurance and yet the insurance company has a ‘get out of jail free’ card when someone is the victim of a crime…

I’m the opposite getting my passport into the hotel safe with other valuables has always been my priority since I first started travelling! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...