Celebrity Now Charging for Eden Cafe "Premium" Sandwiches

Cap_D

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

Very important fact that was left out of the complaint.  Close to the same issue with the daily Lobster and Filet available for an extra charge on the MDR menu and the availability of extra cost specialty dining options in general.

small area,  long lines,  not staffed well.  it's fine as is!

5 hours ago, Pinboy said:

I never once mentioned " table ", as in " can't you find us a better table than this "? 

I mentioned reservation at a time when they say, right on the first day, even before sailing " Sorry, we are booked up all week for the times you want ".

You smile and shake his/her hand with a few $$ and " Please notify me if anything becomes available ",then all of a sudden reservation(s)  become open.

LOL--- it's all part of the " game "--- So, what's the big deal ? The Maitre'd gets a few $$ and you get the reservation(s) -- it's all good.

( Never had a Maitre'd refuse--- only smile " I'll see what I can do ").

Bye the way, haven't we all seen on Cruise Planner where Specialty Restaurants were all booked and no advance reservations could be booked. 

Perhaps they hold back a few for suite passengers, but , the entire restaurant all week ???

example of poor ethical  concepts.

.hope not a business school professor!

9 minutes ago, hcat said:

example of poor ethical  concepts.

.hope not a business school professor!

It probably was a Professor at the Maitre'd Business School that taught the concept. 

Talk about " poor ethical concepts "---

Ever hear the expression " Buyer Beware " ?

Ever go into some of the jeweler shops on the Islands ?

Ever hear " Have I got a deal for YOU " ?

Ever notice how fast a calculator appears on the counter ? 

( LOL-- Years ago a salesman, oops, sales person ( gotta be politically correct ) showed me a Rolex for $125 and " swore " it was real. He forgot the word " junk" )! 

So, is it really that bad handing a few $$ to get a reservation to a Specialty restaurant ?

15 hours ago, Pinboy said:

It probably was a Professor at the Maitre'd Business School that taught the concept. 

Talk about " poor ethical concepts "---

Ever hear the expression " Buyer Beware " ?

Ever go into some of the jeweler shops on the Islands ?

Ever hear " Have I got a deal for YOU " ?

Ever notice how fast a calculator appears on the counter ? 

( LOL-- Years ago a salesman, oops, sales person ( gotta be politically correct ) showed me a Rolex for $125 and " swore " it was real. He forgot the word " junk" )! 

So, is it really that bad handing a few $$ to get a reservation to a Specialty restaurant ?

Your moolah, your move.

Personally I don't think any dining experience anywhere is worth paying out money just to get a table.

I've got more self respect than that.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Baggy178 said:

I've got more self respect than that.

" self respect " ? Perhaps you meant " principle " ?

How about this:

If we want to dine in Murano ( as an example ) a few times during the cruise and there are no reservations available at the time(s) we want, so, I play the " game " and hand over a few $$ to the Maitre'd. IMO it has nothing to do with " self respect ".

LOL, it does have something to do with enjoying a dinner or two in an excellent restaurant , with very good service, on a nice clean ship, during a very enjoyable cruise.

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Is there a start date for the  UPCHARGE  options at EDEN Cafe or is it just a floated idea?

I just looked at Eden’s menu on The Beyond’s current sailing and the 3 premium sandwiches are listed with prices. I first noticed the additions when looking at the menus for my Beyond October 20th b2b.

Edited by mari10

47 minutes ago, mari10 said:

I just looked at Eden’s menu on The Beyond’s current sailing and the 3 premium sandwiches are listed with prices. I first noticed the additions when looking at the menus for my Beyond October 20th b2b.

Thanks for posting..

What were the 3 choices and prices?

The cooking area is very small so whatever is served can' t too  elaborate or it will have to be delivered there.

Hope those who.order these post photos and reactions.

thank you.. nothing that would entice me.. I would prefer the regular offerings for free if they are still the same....or take out from the Cafe Bistro for upcharge....or make a big bowl at the  buffet.

just hope it  wil still have free food and cookies

14 hours ago, Pinboy said:

" self respect " ? Perhaps you meant " principle " ?

How about this:

If we want to dine in Murano ( as an example ) a few times during the cruise and there are no reservations available at the time(s) we want, so, I play the " game " and hand over a few $$ to the Maitre'd. IMO it has nothing to do with " self respect ".

LOL, it does have something to do with enjoying a dinner or two in an excellent restaurant , with very good service, on a nice clean ship, during a very enjoyable cruise.

This is the sort of thing that Ninja Cruisers™ share jokes and stories about when we meet up.

" Listen you'll never guess what. This fellow who had already paid for his meal in the MDR decided to switch up to a speciality restaurant to pay a second time then guess what he pays a third time just to get into the ' full 'restaurant.

" Then leaves a generous tip to thank everyone for letting him pay three times for a meal "

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, mari10 said:

IMG_7792.jpeg

IMG_7791.jpeg

Wonder if Boston-Style implies actual cold water lobster?  Or is this misleading?  It says lobster tails so it might be the usual ship "lobster" not the real version (which has claws).  If it was real lobster then a $14 lobster roll is a true bargain compared to land prices in most places.

2 hours ago, Baggy178 said:

This is the sort of thing that Ninja Cruisers™ share jokes and stories about when we meet up.

" Listen you'll never guess what. This fellow who had already paid for his meal in the MDR decided to switch up to a speciality restaurant to pay a second time then guess what he pays a third time just to get into the ' full 'restaurant.

" Then leaves a generous tip to thank everyone for letting him pay three times for a meal "

2 hours ago, Baggy178 said:

Sorta makes sense --- You win !!

From now on :

LOL----" We ain't going to that Specialty Moriano Restaurant for a nice dinner that we been talkin bout since we booked the cruise 4 yrs ago--- you know, the one everyone posts excellent comments about on CC in addition to "who the Captain will be on their cruise in 3 years " and that " there were no round tomatoes no where" .Ya, that's the one. 

They ain't gonna get me to pay no extra for food I already paid for , and then they esspect me to leave a extra tip ??  They must think Pinboy is a sucker-- nice try !!

No, I didn't dream that up !! Someone on CC told me that people share jokes and stories, yes, jokes and stories about people who go to Specialty restaurants--- you know, the ones that are always busy".--- LOL

Perhaps it's time to put this " baby " to bed ???

30 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Sorta makes sense --- You win !!

From now on :

LOL----" We ain't going to that Specialty Moriano Restaurant for a nice dinner that we been talkin bout since we booked the cruise 4 yrs ago--- you know, the one everyone posts excellent comments about on CC in addition to "who the Captain will be on their cruise in 3 years " and that " there were no round tomatoes no where" .Ya, that's the one. 

They ain't gonna get me to pay no extra for food I already paid for , and then they esspect me to leave a extra tip ??  They must think Pinboy is a sucker-- nice try !!

No, I didn't dream that up !! Someone on CC told me that people share jokes and stories, yes, jokes and stories about people who go to Specialty restaurants--- you know, the ones that are always busy".--- LOL

Perhaps it's time to put this " baby " to bed ???

If this Speciality restaurant is so special why not make an advanced booking for it. I presume not every table on every night is fully booked ?

The point is paying to gain entrance to an onboard restaurant because you simply must eat in it that night when there are other dining options you've already paid for strikes some of us as preposterous.

But as we always say, you moolah your move.

On 9/28/2023 at 7:52 AM, Baggy178 said:

Hey, it's your hard-earned moolah and you can spend it how you wish.

But on principle I'd never stay in a hotel that insisted on charging a resort fee for facilities they should be providing as standard.

There are always plenty of others that don't.

I can't help thinking some Americans actually enjoy paying the fee because it gives them a feeling of exclusivity and in that sense the scam has worked.

But like the fast food joint with a grubby cardboard box for tips on the counter it's not classy.

Edit: I see you're a Brit but my comments are not aimed at any one person in particular.

Just an observation from someone who owned property in the States for years and still visits regularly.

The total cost paid is all that really matters..call it what you like. Math isn’t hard. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Baggy178 said:

If this Speciality restaurant is so special why not make an advanced booking for it. I presume not every table on every night is fully booked ?

The point is paying to gain entrance to an onboard restaurant because you simply must eat in it that night when there are other dining options you've already paid for strikes some of us as preposterous.

But as we always say, you moolah your move.

I hear ya and totally understand your thinking.

What you might not be aware of is that they hold back the " prime times " apparently for suite guests, which makes it impossible to book on line in advance.

We don't want to have dinner at 5 or 9 pm, thus, we are stuck to " play the game "--

Everyone has different priorities--- and for us to tip a few $$ ( once in a while ) and have a very nice dinner in a Specialty restaurant when , as you say, our dinner is already paid for, means nothing.

To quote---"you simply must eat in it that night "

LOL--- That sure isn't us !! --- LOL

Again to quote---" strikes some of us as preposterous ".

The same can be said about cabin accommodations, expensive purchases on board, etc.

We all have choices.

Who knows, maybe we will meet in person one day and share a good laugh.

On 9/25/2023 at 8:22 PM, miched said:

Things that they may start charging for 

renting lounge chairs around the pool by the hour.

Up charge for window seats in the dining rooms 

Extra to sit at the Martini Bar that is added onto the drink even with a drink pack. Plus the Extra gratuity.  

Sell raffle tickets to participate in the games and game shows. 

weight people when  getting on the ship and then when leaving and charge per pound of weight gain.   If you lost weight you will be given future cruise credit on a cruise of  Celebrity’s choice.

Gratuities on HH drinks 

Charge for extra luggage over one pp not counting small carry on.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Stop. Giving. Them. Ideas!

These are all too realistic... you know the bean counters are reading your post and jotting these down.  They will market them as "exclusives" and claim they have heard from their "most loyal customers" that they want the option to purchase these "upgrades."

Edited by Salt Lifer
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2023 at 7:04 AM, Cruise a holic said:

What next?  No food included in base price of cruise?  We are Elite Plus on Celebrity and will be DiamondPlus on Royal.  Perhaps our time for cruising might be over.  AI resorts are truly all inclusive.  Maybe time to consider.

That's a major issue - not having a total stress- and on-going decisions- free vacation that cruising was!  That's why cruising my first vacationing choice to begin with.  I locate an itinerary, air, and excursions, and pay for them, then unpack on the embarkation day, and that's it - just enjoy an experience.  I don't want to constantly read fine prints, searching for dining (and whatever else) options and their pricing.  During vacation I want a state of mind totally free of worries, matters, issues, prices, choices (all are done prior to a holiday).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kirtihk said:

That's a major issue - not having a total stress- and on-going decisions- free vacation that cruising was!  That's why cruising my first vacationing choice to begin with.  I locate an itinerary, air, and excursions, and pay for them, then unpack on the embarkation day, and that's it - just enjoy an experience.  I don't want to constantly read fine prints, searching for dining (and whatever else) options and their pricing.  During vacation I want a state of mind totally free of worries, matters, issues, prices, choices (all are done prior to a holiday).

Maybe a thing of the past- the good old days.

5 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Maybe a thing of the past- the good old days.

Why?  I would love to pre-pay in advance for any item that a cruise line might consider charging separately if upon observation I decide it worth - all I ask is leave me alone DURING precious relaxation time of vacation.

Edited by kirtihk

5 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Why?  I would love to pre-pay in advance for any item that a cruise line might consider charging separately if upon observation I decide it worth - all I ask is leave me alone DURING precious relaxation time of vacation.

My issue is that the level of service isn't their.  We pay a premium to be in suites and enjoy the suite perks- I like assistance when necessary- IMO adds to making a more stress free vacation.  We definately enjoy private and quiet time- but never have we felt intruded upon.  Perhaps by passengers, but not by staff.

19 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

My issue is that the level of service isn't their.  We pay a premium to be in suites and enjoy the suite perks- I like assistance when necessary- IMO adds to making a more stress free vacation.  We definately enjoy private and quiet time- but never have we felt intruded upon.  Perhaps by passengers, but not by staff.

Yes, this is also true.