Regal Princess "formal" nights

beshears

If you are on the Regal Princess now, or have been on it recently going to the Caribbean or Mexico, can you tell me what two days or nights are formal nights on a 7 day cruise? Also, are those two days the two main days that they take most of the pictures?

They will be on the first sea day and a sea day a day or two before the end of the cruise.  I've never seen one on the last night for obvious reasons.  The Patter or information sheet that is in your cabin when you arrive will let you know what the schedule will be.

Additionally, they also take posed photos on other nights where you can wear something not as formal but better than shorts and tee shirts.

• Like 1

Never on the first or last night and most often on sea days. You can see which nights are scheduled as formal nights on your cruise in the Journey View activities timeline in the app. Every evening will show either “casual” or “formal” portraits. I’ve seen it populate as much as a couple of months before a cruise.

2 hours ago, Grego said:

They will be on the first sea day and a sea day a day or two before the end of the cruise.  I've never seen one on the last night for obvious reasons.  The Patter or information sheet that is in your cabin when you arrive will let you know what the schedule will be.

Additionally, they also take posed photos on other nights where you can wear something not as formal but better than shorts and tee shirts.

so they won't take my pickture and SELL me photo's if I am wearing shorts, polo shirt, and a hat?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thank you ALL for your replies. Our itinerary is starting on Sunday, and ending the following Sunday. Our sea days will be Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday, with Wednesday, Thursday and Friday as port days.

18 hours ago, voljeep said:

so they won't take my pickture and SELL me photo's if I am wearing shorts, polo shirt, and a hat?

Sure they will if that's what you want to spend your money on.  Why not just take a selfie instead.

On 9/27/2023 at 8:20 AM, Grego said:

Anyone can get their picture taken on a FN in whatever they are wearing.  There is no requirement to be formally dressed in order to have a picture taken.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, beshears said:

Thank you ALL for your replies. Our itinerary is starting on Sunday, and ending the following Sunday. Our sea days will be Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday, with Wednesday, Thursday and Friday as port days.

Whenever a poster asks this question, it is important to provide the departure times for each port since FN's are not always on a sea day as it may not be convenient.  You can guarantee FN #1 is Monday as it is both a sea day and the second night after departure and they like to schedule FN #1 ASAP as it is the Captain's Welcome Aboard theme. 

FN #2 is not going to be on Saturday since it is your last night of the voyage.  So, it is going to be one of your port days and hence the departure time is important.  They will generally pick the one with the earliest departure time.  FN will never align with a 6pm or 7pm departure unless they have no other choice.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/27/2023 at 10:15 AM, Torfamm said:

Never on the first or last night and most often on sea days. You can see which nights are scheduled as formal nights on your cruise in the Journey View activities timeline in the app. Every evening will show either “casual” or “formal” portraits. I’ve seen it populate as much as a couple of months before a cruise.

When is this information posted?  My Journey View isn't showing it. 

Simply go through the Journey View (old app) or whatever it's now called in the new app and look for the days when Formal Portraits are listed. Those are the formal nights. No guesswork involved.

13 hours ago, Seafan22 said:

I have a 31 day cruise coming up, I would hope they don't over do the formal night thing.  Can anyone share their experience on this type of trip?

I wouldn't say it's overdone. It's presented to the people an if you want to participate, then do so, but there's no obligation to get involved in anything like dressing up, having photo's taken or dancing. 

The only thing different for us is that there's usually a better menu selection and a production show presented that night. 

On 1/13/2024 at 2:44 AM, 57eric said:

When is this information posted?  My Journey View isn't showing it. 

There is no hard and fast rule but generally it’s between a couple of months and a couple of weeks before you sail

On 1/13/2024 at 4:42 AM, Seafan22 said:

I have a 31 day cruise coming up, I would hope they don't over do the formal night thing.  Can anyone share their experience on this type of trip?

Is it a single 31 day itinerary or also sold as shorter segments? They generally follow the scheduled number for each segment, but some evenings may be “dress to impress” rather than formal

IMG_9895.thumb.jpeg.42ca8399f5e8eabd9a666576b15c2008.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

There is no hard and fast rule but generally it’s between a couple of months and a couple of weeks before you sail

Thanks.  This is what I wanted to know.  We're inside two months.  I'll keep checking.

On 9/27/2023 at 7:16 PM, beshears said:

Hi beshears! 

Your 1st formal night will be Monday and if for your cruise you are in Cozumel on Friday from 8am-4pm, I am guessing that is most likely your 2nd formal night.  As others have stated...the 2nd formal night is never the last night...and is typically the 2nd to last night if the port of call is not a late night one.  

The trick given to you regarding formal photographs in the Journey is a great one.  I am going to use it for my March cruise on Regal.  It is a 12 night cruise so we will have 3 formal nights so I am not sure when our extra one will be.

Have a great cruise!