NCL Prima refuses to pay back missed port of call taxes.

Bruges

32 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

December on a transatlantic cruise that had only two stops, both of which were cancelled.

One thing that people need to remember, is that even when all of the port stops are cancelled as in the case quoted, you still have to pay port taxes and fees to the embarkation port and the debarkation port. These fees and taxes are not only for the port visits.

Another point to consider: it is possible (however not probable) that a port may not charge taxes and fees. That could be the case, and if so, the cruiser would have no way of knowing one way or the other.

Yet another point to consider: it appears that people think that if a ship doesn't dock at a port, that the taxes/fees are simply not owed. Again, we have no way of knowing if that is true. The cruise lines sign contracts with the ports, and the terms are dictated in the contracts. If a ship can't dock on a particular day, there may be a clause in the contract that still requires some payment from the line to the port simply for holding the pier space...something to protect the port from last-minute cancellations. We have no way of knowing for sure.

We make a lot of assumptions with no knowledge of the actual facts.

Heck, the whole point of this thread is "The Prima didn't visit Belfast, and our money wasn't refunded". Am I the only one who has noticed that nobody has been able to say exactly how much money was charged for Belfast so that we can say that this exact amount should now be refunded?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DrSea said:

You can't sign contracts that break the law. It isn't how the law works. 

My point, NCL can't keep port taxes and fees if you miss a port. But keep defending NCL and let them keep your money. 

Once again.  Port Fees and Taxes are not fees that are the passengers responsibility.  They are the cruise lines responsibility.  If the the ports were charging each passenger individually and the cruise lines were the middle man collecting for the ports, then it would be illegal to hold money for missing a port.  Since these fees are just additional revenue that the cruise lines are charging to cover their expenses, its not illegal.  The cruise lines can charge what ever they want for these fees.  If they want to charge each passenger $250 more than what their expected expenses are, they have the ability to do that because its just a revenue stream that is not tied to the actual fees they are charged.  The cruise lines could just bake their expenses into the cruise fare but they don't because they want to advertise lower fares.  

I have been on NCL cruises where they have given OBC for missed ports and also ones where they gave OBC for their expenses coming in lower than what they charged.  NCL probably is not giving OBC for this cruise because they sold less cabins than estimated and the port fees came in higher than they pass through to the customer.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

FWIW, on our recent Prima TA, we missed - rather, skipped our short stopover at Dockyard, Bermuda due to weather, a last minute safety call by the captain/bridge, as we're within sights of St. George's (much like our Epic port-of-call into Cadiz, Spain in April (also due to weather, we're almost at the harbor entrance & ready for the pilot boat to come alongside too).  Partial refund of OBC issued automatically w/o asking for Cadiz, but only given if asked at Guest Services/On Board Credit desks ... then, refundable OBC posted the next day.  Both sailings were fairly full, close to 98% double occupancies.  

Nieces currently onboard the Getaway, skipped/cancelled a day stop at Bermuda (other ships too, not able to dock ... ditto for GSC and even Cayman Island, another tender port) - they just saw their $12 p/p OBC posted this morning, it is a token amount but apparently, issued without needed to ask.  

NCL consistently inconsistent - shorex booked direclty via NCL are refunded automatically when these cancellations happened, not so much with port taxes/fees/charges.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

FWIW, on our recent Prima TA, we missed - rather, skipped our short stopover at Dockyard, Bermuda due to weather, a last minute safety call by the captain/bridge, as we're within sights of St. George's (much like our Epic port-of-call into Cadiz, Spain in April (also due to weather, we're almost at the harbor entrance & ready for the pilot boat to come alongside too).  Partial refund of OBC issued automatically w/o asking for Cadiz, but only given if asked at Guest Services/On Board Credit desks ... then, refundable OBC posted the next day.  Both sailings were fairly full, close to 98% double occupancies.  

Nieces currently onboard the Getaway, skipped/cancelled a day stop at Bermuda (other ships too, not able to dock ... ditto for GSC and even Cayman Island, another tender port) - they just saw their $12 p/p OBC posted this morning, it is a token amount but apparently, issued without needed to ask.  

NCL consistently inconsistent - shorex booked direclty via NCL are refunded automatically when these cancellations happened, not so much with port taxes/fees/charges.  

My assumption is that there is some behind the scenes stuff that determines whether or not the refund is issued.  I've read that, a lot of times, NCL pays more for port fees than they charge back to the passengers. If they need to close that gap, they'll keep it to offset their losses. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, macewank said:

My assumption is that there is some behind the scenes stuff that determines whether or not the refund is issued.  I've read that, a lot of times, NCL pays more for port fees than they charge back to the passengers. If they need to close that gap, they'll keep it to offset their losses. 

You are correct.  And just because the ship missed a port doesn't mean they didn't pay fees - just like you don't always get a refund if you cancel your hotel at the last minute. 

• Like 2

We’re on the Getaway right now and missed Bermuda yesterday. The newbies thought they were entitled to a comped next cruise. 😂 I tried to explain how it works with some of them but they became belligerent as if I had the power to do anything. I was happy to see $14 OBC added. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, richstowe said:

NCL always is the leader when it comes to making money off their customers. I'm thinking they see this as a new revenue stream . Perhaps the same for gratuities.

There is a reason that the port fees/taxes are a separate line item on your statement.  They can only charge the actual amount (or less in many cases). So when the accountant goes over the books and finds out that there is a positive balance in the port fees/taxes account for that specific cruise because they missed a port, passengers get a refund. If the balance is 0 or less, no refund is required. Fees/taxes cannot be used as a revenue stream.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, julig22 said:

So when the accountant goes over the books and finds out that there is a positive balance in the port fees/taxes account for that specific cruise because they missed a port, passengers get a refund.

Really? Heads we win, tails they lose?? At best, for now, NCL sees port fees as a big pot that in total they are not willing to lose money on .

So tell me about this accountant who goes over the books to find refunds for us .🤣    All the cruise lines are unwilling to come clean with port fees . Just like gratuities . They insist on keeping the accounting opaque .

9 minutes ago, richstowe said:

Really? Heads we win, tails they lose?? At best, for now, NCL sees port fees as a big pot that in total they are not willing to lose money on .

So tell me about this accountant who goes over the books to find refunds for us .🤣    All the cruise lines are unwilling to come clean with port fees . Just like gratuities . They insist on keeping the accounting opaque .

You would probably be better off selecting another form of holiday. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, richstowe said:

So are you willing to pay the actual fees, added to your onboard account at the end of the cruise, in the interest of transparency?

Pretty sure they come clean with the IRS - and how is the accounting for any business your business, unless of course you apply for a position on the board of directors.

• Like 1

Prima just skipped grand cayman a few days ago and didn’t refund any fees or give any OBC.  Not a big deal in my opinion. However, They also wouldn’t provide a letter stating we skipped the port which I think my travel insurance will want when I submit my inconvenience claim. It’s what was provided when getaway skipped a port in March. More inconsistencies.

On 9/29/2023 at 10:41 AM, mugtech said:

On Sky 9/11 to 9/21 Quebec to Baltimore, missed two ports because of tropical storm Lee, got $100 OBC per cabin and a 10% FCC.  Then at Martha's Vineyard we could not tender, so NCL upped the FCC to 20%.  There were less than 1,400 passengers on a 2,004 double occupancy ship.  Two of the ports where we stopped it rained all day.  Such is cruising during hurricane season.

@mugtechWe were suppose to be on that cruise too. Cancelled just before final pay due pending medical procedure. So glad we cancelled when I heard about the issues, esp missing Martha’s Vineyard (big attraction). Medical thing got pushed out to 2024 … and dang but that 20% FCC would come in handy on one of the more expensive cruises we’re thinking of booking 😉 and you still got a cruise vacation!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, hallux said:

Realistically, how much do you expect to get from this?  If excursions were refunded what are you really owed?

They are owed whatever the insurance policy covers for a missed port of call. Every policy is different. Some zero, some $50.

1 hour ago, Travelling2Some said:

Anytime a missed port keeps me on the ship for an extra day I'm likely to double down on my "free" drink package to cheer myself up.  Believe me, NCL is getting the short end of that stick.

FINALLY a post in this thread that makes some sense! 🤣🐀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/15/2023 at 5:58 PM, hallux said:

Realistically, how much do you expect to get from this?  If excursions were refunded what are you really owed?

I expect to be reimbursed the amount disclosed in the travel insurance policy I purchased.  I would have preferred to see the island but instead will try to pull the trigger on the policy clause! I was refunded for the excursions booked through NCL and was not expecting any other reimbursement from them. 

However, I was expecting NCL to provide a document indicating the captain cancelled the port of call.  The insurance policy requires proof of the event… which NCL REFUSED to provide. 

On 12/15/2023 at 6:08 PM, luv2kroooz said:

They are owed whatever the insurance policy covers for a missed port of call. Every policy is different. Some zero, some $50.

Thank you for your support!! My policy for this cruise would provide $250 in this instance (travel inconvenience) with proof of the event. 

2 hours ago, df5250 said:

I expect to be reimbursed ...

However, I was expecting NCL to provide a document indicating the captain cancelled the port of call. The insurance policy requires proof of the event… which NCL REFUSED to provide ...

Would a screenshot like this be adequate for you to file your claim ?? 

PXL_20231129_145710051.jpg

Edited by mking8288

On 12/16/2023 at 6:33 AM, richstowe said:

Travel is not for you then, if you’re thinking NCL is ripping you off or doing something shady, then you’ve clearly not stayed in a US hotel where they charge you all kinds of ridiculous fees on top of the room rate, then there are airlines with airport fees, fuel surcharge (even when they hedge fund the fuel) premium cabin taxes etc. 

• Thanks 1