Crew Gratuities & WiFi Costs

BlackJack2

3 hours ago, POA1 said:

Wi-Fi is less expensive if you prepay. It comes out to around $17/day on a week long cruise. The price per day goes down on longer sailings.

I believe that is only for the premium level, though. The surf level can't be pre-purchased. 

• Like 2

By the day, Surf and Premium are $30 and $35. "DISCOUNT MAY APPLY FOR LONGER SAILINGS. 7- DAY SURF VOYAGE PRICING BEGINS AT $18 PER DAY AND 7- DAY PREMIUM VOYAGE PRICING BEGINS AT $23 PER DAY. PACKAGES ARE AVAILABLE UP TO 135 DAYS."

per https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/onboard-packages/cruise-ship-wifi.html

The differences in the levels is at that link, also bullet points with answers to FAQ.

For my pending 15-day Panama Canal cruise, the onboard purchase of Surf Plan for single devices at a time averages $13.80/day and Premium Plan averages $17.30/day. 

Premium Plans purchased on HAL website before sailing average $14.93/day for a single device at a time and for four devices at a time average $23/day.

Edited by Crew News

On 9/29/2023 at 12:39 PM, RuthC said:

I believe that is only for the premium level, though. The surf level can't be pre-purchased. 

That is correct. When I try to purchase wifi in advance, I get Premium for less than Surf.

• Like 1

I wish someone would cite their experience for the cost of upgrading the HIA Surf package to the Stream package.  Particularly on medium length cruises in the 14-20 day range.

And does anyone know why some things can be purchased/upgraded pre-cruise while other things have to be done on board?  Like the aforementioned HIA Surf to Stream upgrade?

7 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I wish someone would cite their experience for the cost of upgrading the HIA Surf package to the Stream package.  Particularly on medium length cruises in the 14-20 day range.

When we were on the Rotterdam in August for seven nights, it cost $5 per person per day to upgrade from our HIA-included Surf packages to Stream, although it was slightly more expensive if we had upgraded at the start of the cruise (perhaps $40 for seven days, instead of $35?). We tested it out on the final day and were able to videocall each other, if you're interested in the package quality. 

Edited by gameazel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gameazel said:

When we were on the Rotterdam in August for seven nights, it cost $5 per person per day to upgrade from our HIA-included Surf packages to Stream, although it was slightly more expensive if we had upgraded at the start of the cruise (perhaps $40 for seven days, instead of $35?). We tested it out on the final day and were able to videocall each other, if you're interested in the package quality. 

Excellent, thank you.  I think that I can extrapolate from that to it costing under $100 for a 17 day cruise.  My main reason for wanting to upgrade to Stream is that I'm a YouTube junkie, and I've seen that YouTube is accessible.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Excellent, thank you.  I think that I can extrapolate from that to it costing under $100 for a 17 day cruise.  My main reason for wanting to upgrade to Stream is that I'm a YouTube junkie, and I've seen that YouTube is accessible.

It might even be less than $100. I e-mailed Ship Services this week regarding an upcoming 31-day cruise in November and asked how much it would be to upgrade from (the HIA included) Surf to Premium and received a reply that it would be $100 per person for the entire cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2