Live from the Caribbean Princess, Oct 14 - Nov 5, 22-day Canadian and Atlantic Coast Land and Sea Adventure

Ken the cruiser

As we count down the days, currently at 8 days and a wake up, until we board our flight to Toronto, I found this awesome Elton John song that uniquely demonstrates our evolving buildup of excitement since I first posted this thread. Right now, we're at about the 5-minute mark. 😊

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

I am looking forward to reading about your experience as my wife and I will be in a suite on the Caribbean Princess for two week in February. We purchased the “old” Plus plan and are wondering if we should pay extra to upgrade to the “new” Plus plan. 

36 minutes ago, PaulS said:

I am looking forward to reading about your experience as my wife and I will be in a suite on the Caribbean Princess for two week in February. We purchased the “old” Plus plan and are wondering if we should pay extra to upgrade to the “new” Plus plan. 

I have to say we do enjoy the extra perks and additional room, especially when we're sitting out on the fully covered aft-facing suite balconies. As far as the old $50 Plus package versus the current $60 one, we got ours automatically upgraded to the current $60 package (for free) when we refared our booking this past May when we took advantage of a drop in price for our category. You may want to think about that option as well. Otherwise for us we couldn't see the value of paying an additional $20 per day (for both of us) to upgrade to the current one. But that's just us. 

Also, anyone who is not aware of the 10% discounted AARP gift cards, here's the link that will take you to where you can purchase them once you're logged into you AARP Rewards account.

AARP Rewards: Explore Ways to Reward Yourself

• Like 2

Thanks for your suggestion. There are no suites left now, but the last time there were, the price was significantly higher than when we booked last year.

Our suite is aft also. We have not been on Princess for several years, so we are anxious to see if we still like their product. Reading reviews, like yours, will give us some things to keep in mind. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Hopefully we will be able to see some of the remnants of the Canadian fall foliage season while we're traveling on our Oct 14-19 pre-cruise journey between Toronto and Quebec. One can hope anyway. 🤞

image.thumb.png.5e6e0405c8a3046dd860293c227c3747.png

The fall in Québec | Seasons | Bonjour Québec (bonjourquebec.com)

You should be ok 

The warm weather has lowed down the color change.

My maple is just starting to turn 

You also want to avoid high winds ( that will empty the trees )

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, CGinMTL said:

You should be ok 

The warm weather has lowed down the color change.

My maple is just starting to turn 

You also want to avoid high winds ( that will empty the trees )

Thanks, and hopefully Philippe and any winds it might be bringing along fizzles away by this weekend before it gets to the Canadian shores. 🤞

I am really liking this Windy website to see what the various weather implications are around places we'll be heading. In this particular example, I clicked on the "Rain, Thunder" option, then clicked on the Start button in the lower lefthand corner and watched the potential "Rain, Thunder" forecast for the next 10 days! Of course, you can see the various projections anywhere in the world by sliding the map around or by entering a specific location in the upper lefthand corner.

Windy: Rain, thunder

image.thumb.png.ab1cb7413e3721e17d31a638f92f29b7.png

I definitely need to go on a cruise! 🤣

• Like 5

I just learned over on the Roll Call thread that ArriveCan is still a viable asset when flying into Canada at certain airports to speed up the Customs process. I remember we had to fill it out when we were cruising into Canada last August, which at that time also required us to include providing proof of our COVID vaccinations along with our passport information and where we were entering Canada. Proof of vaccinations doesn't appear to be a requirement any longer but filling it out within 72 hours of arrival at an applicable airport definitely seems like a worthwhile effort to get through Canadian Customs quicker.

Advance Declaration: Save time when making your customs and immigration declaration in advance

You can make your customs and immigration declaration using Advance Declaration in the ArriveCAN app before you fly into one of Canada's participating airports. Upon arrival:

- confirm (certify) your declaration at a kiosk or eGate – it's 30% faster

- take advantage of Advance Declaration express lanes

Use Advance Declaration to save time at the border - Canada.ca

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I just learned over on the Roll Call thread that ArriveCan is still a viable asset when flying into Canada at certain airports to speed up the Customs process. I remember we had to fill it out when we were cruising into Canada last August, which at that time also required us to include providing proof of our COVID vaccinations along with our passport information and where we were entering Canada. Proof of vaccinations doesn't appear to be a requirement any longer but filling it out within 72 hours of arrival at an applicable airport definitely seems like a worthwhile effort to get through Canadian Customs quicker.

Advance Declaration: Save time when making your customs and immigration declaration in advance

You can make your customs and immigration declaration using Advance Declaration in the ArriveCAN app before you fly into one of Canada's participating airports. Upon arrival:

- confirm (certify) your declaration at a kiosk or eGate – it's 30% faster

- take advantage of Advance Declaration express lanes

Use Advance Declaration to save time at the border - Canada.ca

Don't bother with that if you have Global Entry or NEXUS.

Even without either of those, entry into Toronto uses machines and is still quite speedy.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

Even without either of those, entry into Toronto uses machines and is still quite speedy.

Thanks. We have Global Entry but not the NEXUS card. I think we'll probably fill it out anyway, as it's just another part of the cruising adventure for us, especially since we already have an ArriveCan account from our cruise visit last year.

• Like 1

Thanks. We have Global Entry but not the NEXUS card. I think we'll probably fill it out anyway, as it's just another part of the cruising adventure for us, especially since we already have an ArriveCan account from our cruise visit last year.

We live a couple of hours north of Toronto and  had our first snow fall this morning....and more to fall tonight and tomorrow...so just a head's up for you. A week ago here it was 85F so the weather is very changeable.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

Returning to Toronto, Canada from USA in Feb, I used ArriveCAN app, it did make a difference in the Immigration/Customs line.  There were only 2 families waiting in front of us compared to the long regular line.

When there are a lot of planes landing at the same, the Immigration/Customs line can be quiet long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

We live a couple of hours north of Toronto and  had our first snow fall this morning....and more to fall tonight and tomorrow...so just a head's up for you. A week ago here it was 85F so the weather is very changeable.

Thanks for the heads up and we'll definitely bring warm clothing as the forecast does seem a tad chilly and a little breezy when we arrive this coming Saturday.

image.png.81461645cc4db55aece4a970afa38e44.png

2 hours ago, chrysalis said:

OK, you got my curiosity up as we really weren't looking forward to dealing with any snow on our visit to your beautiful country. But from the projected temps, it appears we will definitely be layering up when outside, probably until after we visit New York City on our cruise down to Florida. 

image.thumb.png.154508c5413f045289a40cd76e45d5e3.png

But on the bright side, the Atlantic Ocean is looking a lot calmer than it has been the past few weeks! 😉

image.thumb.png.580b7ee9f27d2b1c45c6d472f6ff7daf.png

• Like 2

OK, you got my curiosity up as we really weren't looking forward to dealing with any snow on our visit to your beautiful country. But from the projected temps, it appears we will definitely be layering up when outside, probably until after we visit New York City on our cruise down to Florida. 

image.thumb.png.154508c5413f045289a40cd76e45d5e3.png

But on the bright side, the Atlantic Ocean is looking a lot calmer than it has been the past few weeks! 😉

image.thumb.png.580b7ee9f27d2b1c45c6d472f6ff7daf.png

This might be of interest....

Fall Colours at Ontario Parks

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We forgot to do it when we flew in Quebec last month.  There wasn't much of a line, but we did have to answer the questions at the machine, so we could have saved about 3 minutes or so.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

We forgot to do it when we flew in Quebec last month.  There wasn't much of a line, but we did have to answer the questions at the machine, so we could have saved about 3 minutes or so.

Thanks. With Toronto being one of 4 major airport hubs in Canada, with Calgary, Montreal, and Vancouver being the other 3, I'm guessing Customs and Immigration might be a little busier there.

• Like 1

Ooops, the potential for yet another hurricane just popped up off the African coast. I guess that's why NOAA says the hurricane season is from June 1 to November 30. Hopefully, this one decides to just play around out in the middle of the Atlantic and doesn't bother anyone. 🤞

image.thumb.png.2f83af7e4c6957fd3a873ffaa3db6f5e.png

But on the bright side after today, we only have 4 days and a wakeup before we board our flight to Toronto! Yay!!

• Like 1

Yes, hurricane season ends on November 30th.  Try telling that to the weather systems.  Hurricane Iwa hit the Hawaiian islands on the night of November 30.  This is currently a tropical "wave".  

Google is my friend.

What happens during a tropical wave?

A tropical wave normally follows an area of sinking, intensely dry air, blowing from the northeast. After the passage of the trough line, the wind veers southeast, the humidity abruptly rises, and the atmosphere destabilizes. This yields widespread showers and thunderstorms, sometimes severe.

What are the 4 stages of a tropical storm?

Meteorologists have divided the development of a tropical cyclone into four stages: Tropical disturbance, tropical depression, tropical storm, and full-fledged tropical cyclone. When the water vapor from the warm ocean condenses to form clouds, it releases its heat to the air.

How long does a tropical wave take to cross the Atlantic?

one to two weeks

It usually takes one to two weeks for waves to successfully cross the Atlantic, but many waves do not survive that trek. The waves may or may not contain thunderstorm activity. In the early part of the hurricane season, easterly waves are often dry because they collect dry air from the Sahara Desert.

Hoping for the best (dissipates)....I don't mind crossing paths on sea days (NYC to FLL).

• Thanks 1

The air was really cold this weekend.

It felt like it was about to snow 

From heat wave to pre winter in 48 hours 

You really never get used to that 

Rain and windy. Some trees are almost bare.

My maple, has barely turned 

You may still see some colors yet

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes, hurricane season ends on November 30th.  Try telling that to the weather systems.  Hurricane Iwa hit the Hawaiian islands on the night of November 30.  This is currently a tropical "wave".  

Google is my friend.

What happens during a tropical wave?

A tropical wave normally follows an area of sinking, intensely dry air, blowing from the northeast. After the passage of the trough line, the wind veers southeast, the humidity abruptly rises, and the atmosphere destabilizes. This yields widespread showers and thunderstorms, sometimes severe.

What are the 4 stages of a tropical storm?

Meteorologists have divided the development of a tropical cyclone into four stages: Tropical disturbance, tropical depression, tropical storm, and full-fledged tropical cyclone. When the water vapor from the warm ocean condenses to form clouds, it releases its heat to the air.

How long does a tropical wave take to cross the Atlantic?

one to two weeks

It usually takes one to two weeks for waves to successfully cross the Atlantic, but many waves do not survive that trek. The waves may or may not contain thunderstorm activity. In the early part of the hurricane season, easterly waves are often dry because they collect dry air from the Sahara Desert.

Hoping for the best (dissipates)....I don't mind crossing paths on sea days (NYC to FLL).

The “waves” off Africa are definitely starting to get a little restless and, hopefully, want to go play with the big one out there in the middle of the Atlantic rather than heading towards North America! 😂

IMG_3168.thumb.jpeg.8df567bb5bba11b20bef75b34ed5098e.jpeg

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Haha 1